back to article DoS scum attacked one-third of the 'net between 2015 and 2017

One-third of all /24 networks recently estimated to be active on the Internet have suffered at least one denial-of-service attack over the last two years. That's the headline number from a two-year study conducted by the Center for Applied Internet Data Analysis (CAIDA), published last week. CAIDA conducted the study to …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

gaming booters

i bet most of them come from butthurt gamers employing booters so they can win by getting rid of their competition

1. Hans 1
      WTF?

Re: gaming booters

THAT Î happened to me yesterday, well, to the son ... 0wned this other bloke on pvp repeatably until the net went. So, he said the guy DDOS'd us ... I thought, bollocks, not possible .... that script kiddie cannot control a bot farm ...turns out, you have DDOSAAS sites ... just fill in IP of target ... and they were chatting p2p, so he had our IP.

I have a router, "tracepath 8.8.8.8" stopped at my DSLAM IP, rebooting the router "solved" the issue, note that ISP-provided TV (as in, TV on their network) was not affected, only Internet access ... problem is, I have a home office ... if that shithead does it again, while I am working ... in a conf call or something, my phone is VOIP, what can I do ? Complain to ISP ?

Should we DDOS the various DDOSAAS sites, use their weapon against them ... go to one, put in IP of the other and vice versa .... My router drops all unsolicited incoming packets, I tried it ... what are these sites doing that causes the ISP to drop our packets ?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Terminator

That's the headline?

Macroscopic reflection attack .. anything to deflect attention from all those hijacked Windows desktops out there on the Internet.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm actually surprised it is not more.

Considering the huge botnets and Lord-knows-how-many-hundreds-of-millions of poorly secured devices there are out there.

4. sitta_europea Silver badge

There are nearly 17 million IPv4 /24 networks, can somebody explain how 2.2 million is a third of that?

1. Alan Sharkey

It said "web hosts"

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"There are nearly 17 million IPv4 /24 networks, can somebody explain how 2.2 million is a third of that?"

There aren't nearly 17 million usable /24 public networks.

All the 10.x.x.x /24 networks, 172.16.x.0 through 172.31.x.0 and 192.168.x.x networks are private and non-routable.

127.x.x.x /24 networks are loopback/diagnostic ranges.

All the /24 networks above 224.x.x.x are reserved for multicast and other purposes.

The maths still doesn't work out to 3 x 2.2 million publicly routable /24 networks though ...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

One-third of all /24 networks recently estimated to be active on the Internet have suffered at least one DoS attack over the last two years (check actual paper linked from the press release).

There are ~6.5M /24 networks estimated to be active. 2.2M is ~ one third.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like