back to article Osama Bin Laden had copy of Resident Evil, smut, in compound

The United States Central Intelligence Agency has released a new trove of documents from computers found in the Abbottabad, Pakistan, compound at which Osama Bin Laden was killed in May 2011. Interest in the trove was so high that the agency's servers fell over. At the time of writing www.cia.gov/library/abbottabad-compound/ …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If I was holed up in a bunker unable to leave because the American government wants to kill me then I can see no better way to pass my time than Disney films and Steam.

Did they find any pr0n? My money is on busty American blondes or Abbu Hamza in a nappy.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I'm leaning more toward bestiality.

Goats and stuff...

1. Khaptain Silver badge

"I'm leaning more toward bestiality. Goats and stuff..."

Could be worse:

Goatse and snuff

1. JimboSmith Silver badge
          Childcatcher

Could be worse Goatees and Fluff

2. 's water music
        Joke

I'm leaning more toward bestiality.

Goats and stuff...

But enough about you...

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Goats and stuff..."

https://pics.onsizzle.com/why-do-terrorists-always-wear-robes-because-goats-can-hear-1590186.png

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

RE: AC

How does one fasten a nappy with a hook?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

RE: AC

With a safety pin.

2. Dabooka

Re: RE: AC

'How does one fasten a nappy with a hook?'

Carefully. Very, very, carefully....

1. Scroticus Canis
          Trollface

Re: RE: AC - Carefully. Very, very, carefully....

But not quite as carefully as he wipes his arse I bet.

3. magickmark

Re: RE: AC

Carefully?

2. Tom 64
    Coffee/keyboard

Malware

He obviously had a net connected PC, hence steam and halflife (a not inconsiderable download on a shit connection), so I wonder if the malware had a role in fingering him.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
      Black Helicopters

Re: Malware

1. How on earth could someone notably that paranoid about being online manage to have a Steam account or let anyone near him have a Steam account? (Half Life came out on DVD with no need for Steam, remember.)

2. What's Steam slurping from computers which means that Valve were able to identify him?

1. Tom 38

1. How on earth could someone notably that paranoid about being online manage to have a Steam account or let anyone near him have a Steam account? (Half Life came out on DVD with no need for Steam, remember.)

2. What's Steam slurping from computers which means that Valve were able to identify him?

* Who says it was his PC? It was a PC in the compound.

* I don't think his email for steam was "binladen+steam@gmail.com"

* He's not playing HL, he's playing counterstrike (he likes de_dust)

* Torrenting popular films and playing counterstrike is a common use of a PC, particularly in Pakistan

What would be more shocking is if the end of round screenshots show that whoever was using the PC only played CT.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Who says it was his PC?

Not I.

Torrenting popular films and playing counterstrike is a common use of a PC, particularly in Pakistan

Is Counterstrike a thing over a satellite link? I thought the best they could hope for was LAN play.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

> "I thought the best they could hope for was LAN play."

In the end, Osama got something altogether more realistic.

2. Anonymous Cow Herder

"Torrenting popular films and playing counterstrike is a common use of a PC, particularly in Pakistan"

He was stealing films!! What a b*****d. Honestly the more I hear about that man, the less I like him.

2. lglethal Silver badge
        Go

"2. What's Steam slurping from computers which means that Valve were able to identify him?"

Umm i think you might have misunderstood that. Someone at Valve obviously had a look at the list of files released by the CIA, noticed the files listed in the tweet (de_dust!), and could safely conclude that the Computer in his compound was running Steam.

Hence there comment. They weren't slurping data or knowing that they had Osama on Steam, it's more along the lines of "Holy cow, Osama was one of our users!"

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It was the game makers fault he turned out so evil

We should have listened to the PMRC

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Probably gone down

Because some weaponised autistic found too many holes in the story.

It's just filler data, stuff sold to the average basement dweller to convince him/her that the rest of the story holds together, I'm surprised it doesn' have "Osama's" written on the cover.

No proof he was killed, the family are big business partners for the Bushes.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

"the family are big business partners for the Bushes."

Many would like to have a Navy SEAL team available to get rid of some relatives...

2. Khaptain Silver badge

Re: Probably gone down

"No proof he was killed" :

Personally I never understood why the body was so very quickly dumped at sea... The greatest terrorist in the 21 century and we simply dumped his body... very strange methods here. Why didn't they use the body as a propaganda tool, or at the very least try and study its DNA in order to establish if there were scientific reasons behinds acts etc..

"The family are big business partners for the Bushes", was it all a money game from the very outset, probably part it was ?

I have not read any full verifiable reports and from what it available it is indeed very difficult to know whether the real Osama Bin Laden was actually killed, whether it was a setup etc etc.. The conspiracy theorists definitely have point and I personally don't know how to determine what is truth from fiction. None of us we there and nothing remains to establish proof.

Just like 911 we will never be allowed to learn the whole truth.. I won't argue about any of this though as those that actually know probably don't want the rest of the world to know the whole story.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> Why didn't they use the body as a propaganda tool

They did. It's hard to pay respects at the grave of a martyr when he's been tossed overboard along with the potato peelings from the ship's galley.

It means he has no grave for misguided idiots to worship and it's a disrespectful 'fuck you' to him and his followers.

I guess it's possible they have him in a box somewhere and don't want to admit it, but what would be the point of that?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Mushroom

His body was disposed of at sea, and quickly because there were sensitivities about funeral & burial traditions for Muslims and they *really* didn't want to get involved in holding onto his body which would arguably violate some of those traditions, or burying it anywhere where anyone could know where it was which might become a shrine.

In other words they were just avoiding being completely stupid about the whole thing, because, at that time, the US was not run by fuckwits.

This was widely discussed at the time, although obviously conspiratards will conveniently ignore that.

1. sz54c8

I remember reading the Seals were ordered to cut his body up and throw it out over the Hindukush. But when they returned the Obama regime had decided to go public rather than keep the op a secret for political purposes. So they had to come up with a cover story - the "burial at sea". Just something I read, YMMV.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"ecause, at that time, the US was not run by fuckwits."

Yeah, they became suddenly very politically correct about traditions - just showing fear, not respect. Maybe having avoided Abu Ghraib would have been more useful?

About not "run by fuckwits", the disasters in Syria, Libya and Egypt say otherwise - even if actions in Libya were initiated by France and UK, true, they would have not gone far, without US. Totally misunderstanding what would have happened later without a real plan to lead the events, instead of just suffering them. We can thank Obama and H. Clinton if right-wing parties in Europe can ride the menace of uncontrolled immigration.

US (and the rest of the world) would need real statesmen, not people good at being elected, just to show all their incompetence immediately after.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: "ecause, at that time, the US was not run by fuckwits."

About not "run by fuckwits", the disasters in Syria, Libya and Egypt say otherwise

Libya - The US decided to get involved after being dragged in by France. Turned out crap.

Syria - The US decided to get involved. Turned out crap.

Egypt - The US decided not to get involved. Turned out crap.

Whatever you do or don't do in the Middle East, it will turn out crap.

3. Hans 1
          Holmes

His body was disposed of at sea</em?

<em> burying it anywhere where anyone could know where it was which might become a shrine.

The sea is the shrine, now, then, rather big one at that, if you ask me ... Muslim traditions was it, i think ... hiding the "burial" place ? They told all and sundry that he was disposed of in the ocean ... so, you only need to find seawater somewhere, like, 70% of the planets surface is sea water and you have a shrine ...

Dumb & Dumber ...

1. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge

The sea is the shrine, now, then, rather big one at that, if you ask me ...

Maybe, though I don't see any flocking to the coast to treat it as such.

For all the 'it was the wrong thing to do' claims I don't see any evidence that it was. I don't see any credible case presented that things would have been better if something else had been done.

I know there are some who take a view that it would have been better to wrap the body up in bacon, stick it in a see-through box in Time Square, and have it pissed on every hour. That might satisfy their hatred towards him, but I don't think it would actually have been "better".

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Personally I never understood why the body"

IMHO it's probably another big show of political incompetence: they didn't know what to do with the body after the raid, and had many fears ranging from irritating Muslims, including more moderate ones, to make him some sort of martyr, and a tomb could become a symbol. The result was a silly action which cold only generate doubts, but was probably deemed the "less evil".

It showed again the very low reached by US foreign policies and actions, in the hands of people wholly lacking the competence required - and it doesn't matter if they are democrats (Obama, the Clintons) or republicans (the Bushes, Cheney, Trump). It's mostly a matter of a whole class of politicians who really believe US are so special they don't need to understand the rest of world.

Next upcoming big mistake: sacrificing Kurds despite what they did to defeat ISIS fighting in place of Americans...

4. Tom 38
        Black Helicopters

@Khaptain

Why didn't they use the body as a propaganda tool, or at the very least try and study its DNA in order to establish if there were scientific reasons behinds acts etc

Shoo! Back to the Victorian era for you.

I personally don't know how to determine what is truth from fiction.

Aaah, it all becomes clear.

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Re: @Khaptain

Shoo! Back to the Victorian era for you.

But phrenology was such an exact science!

1. Tim Jenkins

Re: @Khaptain

“Uh, sir, phrenology was dismissed as quackery a hundred-sixty years ago.” – Mr. Smithers

“Of course you’d say that, you have the brainpan of a stagecoach tilter.” – C.M. Burns

5. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge

Dumping the body at sea and treating it with respect was the solution which created the fewest problems for the future. It's gone. End of. No; we don't know where we dumped it exactly, we had the SatNav off. Sorry.

Whether they did do exactly as claimed we will never know but it doesn't really matter so long as everyone is happy to believe it did happen that way or amounts to having done that.

By dumping the body at sea almost every conceivable plan there could be to exploit the body of OBL was avoided, as were all the difficulties and risks of doing otherwise. The worst outcome would be that it attracted conspiracy theories which would take time to fade.

As far as I can see; the only rational reason for wanting to hold on to the body would be to antagonise those who were willing to be antagonised. And the only people who would want to do that would be those who had a desire for increased conflict.

As it was the west had over-inflated the ongoing importance of OBL, over-estimated what reaction there would be to his death and the damage done to al-Queda. We saw it as a big thing, they did not, they just shrugged and carried on as if nothing much had happened.

3. Jim 59

No proof he was killed.

What sort of proof would convince you ? There have been no more videos or statements released by BL and no more has been heard from him. Al Quaida has not denied his death or contradicted the US account. If B-L was still alive, he could simply release a video and thereby securing a massive propagands coup.

The contention that he is alive would require an intricate conspiracy theory. Similar theories would used to claim that almost anyone is still alive. So, his death seems to be as sure as anyone else's.

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

So, his death seems to be as sure as anyone else's.

Steady on, you are trying to use logic with a conspiracy theorist. Which is akin to mud-wrestling with a pig - you get dirst and the pig enjoys the attention..

2. Zolko Silver badge
        Mushroom

No proof he was killed.

The contention that he is alive...

there is a logical hole in your argument: he could have been dead since a very long time. There were no more videos of Bin Laden since years, only some bad audio recording identified by the CIA as proof that he was still alive. The same CIA who dumped a corps no-one could identify because it was shot into the head during the fight. The same CIA who made a DNA test in less than 24 hours in Afghanistan, when it took the NY police 1 week to confirm it was the sperm of the IMF's director on the carpet.

The USA needed him alive because that served their war on terror very well. But when the new bad guy became Kadhafi and Assad, and the new good guys were the Al Nusra front, who are affiliates of Al Quaida, tracking Bin Laden and helping Al Nusra was too difficult to explain, and even dumbsters would have seen the contradiction.

1. Tom 38
          Headmaster

corps: a main subdivision of an army in the field, consisting of two or more divisions

corpse: a dead body

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Counter-strike

Wonder what his K/D ratio was...

1. astrax

Re: Counter-strike

Here is an excerpt his CS AMX server options:

public plugin_init(){

register_plugin("Respawn NEVER", VERSION, "Operation Neptune Spear")

register_event("DeathMsg","on_Death","wtf is Geronimo?")

register_cvar("sv_checkpistols", "0")

}

6. wolfetone Silver badge

All well and good

But where are the JFK files?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: All well and good

I've been wondering that too. Big headlines about huge numbers of documents being released and then....silence from the media. Not even speculation on the few remaining unreleased ones.

7. Tigra 07
    Mushroom

Uncle Osama's TV Time...

Well, Chicken Little seems appropriate...

The sky is falling! The sky is falling! No, really Osama!

BOOM!

8. jgarbo
    Facepalm

Enough!

This is past ridiculous. Abbottabad was a phony op. God knows who if anyone was killed. OBL's boss, the CIA, has already confirmed he died, probably of renal failure in Tora Bora, in late 2001, a few months after 9/11. Never on an FBI wanted listed and always denied involvement in 9/11.

The 2011 game was so silly, lost helo, shot wrong people, "Muslim" burial at sea, no records. Suddenly the CIA releases docs? Nonsense.

1. Tigra 07
      Facepalm

Re: jgarbo

Voted down solely because you didn't see the irony of saying "probably" and "confirmed" in the same sentence while pursuing a conspiracy theory.

Where's the tinfoil hat icon?

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. JimboSmith Silver badge

Re: Enough!

You are the minicab driver I had shortly after the 7/7 bombing in London. He told me with absolute certainty that the Piccadilly Line would be closed for years in the bombed section as it had partially collapsed. I knew someone who worked for TFL and he said the damage (to the tunnel) wasn't as bad as it could have been and was fixable. However this didn't stop him telling me I was wrong and being lied to or I was part of the cover-up.

4. Zolko Silver badge

Re: Enough!

confirmed he died, probably of renal failure in Tora Bora, in late 2001, a few months after 9/11

link, FoxNews:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2001/12/26/report-bin-laden-already-dead.html

Published December 26, 2001 Fox News

Usama bin Laden has died a peaceful death due to an untreated lung complication, the Pakistan Observer reported, citing a Taliban leader who allegedly attended the funeral of the Al Qaeda leader.

9. FlamingDeath Silver badge

Hey look, a three-headed monkey!

Just like the JFK files being released, you wont find any truth in them, just more disinformation.

This may come as a shock to many; You're being lied to on a daily basis

It always amazes me, the look of shock and horror and that 'caught in the headlights expression on their faces, when I tell them, yes, the deepstate will murder you and your family to meet their objectives, 9/11 is a classic example, there are many more to point to in history.

9/11 was an inside job, so was the assasination of JFK

And as for the alleged killing of OBL by the US, show us the evidence!!!

The reeality is, OBL and the CIA were buddies, from wqay back when the Russians were in Afgahnistan, he was what we would refer to today as a 'moderate rebel'

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hey look, a three-headed monkey!

You can't win.

If your wrong you'll call it fake news.

If your right they'll call it fake news.

That's what fake news is for, there is nothing that can come out in the press anymore that can damage anyone or any government because it's all fake news.

Welcome to the new world order.

Personally I've read up on conspiracy theories and looked to see if there is anything in them, sure there are a lot of things that don't add up but there is no smoking gun so I keep an open mind on such things.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon