back to article 'The Queen' is showing Geneva how to be polite on public transport

The Queen, accompanied by a Queen's guard and gentleman in a top hat, has been drafted in to help encourage Genevans to act more courteously when boarding trains. The three actors, dressed as "quintessential" Brits, showed people how to board trams and buses in a polite and respectful manner this week, incentivising good …

Page:

1. Baldrickk

You mean we do something well?

Well I never...

1. Chemical Bob

Re: You mean we do something well?

Of course you do!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTartgZ6n9Q&pbjreload=10

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

racist views like this should be banned.

3. Real Ale is Best

They've obviously never been on the Tube...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

They've obviously never been on the Tube...

It varies.

E.g., for a while at Canada Water, the Canary Wharf bound side of the Jubilee line formed neat queues at each door, whilst the other side formed a ghastly scrum. Now both sides form queues. But on the Overground line door-based mini-mobs still seem to be a thing.

Whether this is good or bad depends on how much of a hurry you are in. A queue seems to result in less-packed trains and hence longer waits, but is much more civilized.

1. Mark 110

Re: They've obviously never been on the Tube...

"Whether this is good or bad depends on how much of a hurry you are in. A queue seems to result in less-packed trains and hence longer waits, but is much more civilized."

I'm 6'2" and 14 stone. If people try and get on when I'm getting off they have a low success rate.

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

If people try and get on when I'm getting off they have a low success rate.

The most polite crowd I've ever been in was when I went to see the Barbarians vs Australia at the Millenium Stadium. At the time I was walking with a cane (new arthritis treatments hadn't worked) and people were opening doors for me and a couple of very large rugby-types made sure I had plenty of space to get on and off the train. One old lady even got up to offer me her seat!

Rugby crowds - gotta love them.

2. Chz

Further to that, the recent Victoria Line upgrade to 36 TPH made a surprising difference for what, in theory, is just a couple of extra trains. Victoria station has gone from "the next one is probably in 60 seconds" to "the next one is *definitely* in 60 seconds" and the change in people's behaviour is amazing. They're much less likely to cram themselves into impossible spaces and block the doors, which means the train leaves the platform faster. Add this to the effect of the extra trains and the service runs so muhc more smoothly than it used to. Few people appreciate how a behavioural change can make the service run better.

And yes, Londoners aren't too bad at it. It's rare to have to bulldoze someone out of the way in rush hour; it's much more likely to happen at other hours when the tourists are in full effect.

3. Prosthetic Conscience
        Flame

I've never been lucky to have to commute on the Tube (Northern Rail however...), I don't understand why people rush for the in the tube when there's a next one in 2-3 minutes (in the places I've seen this)? I'd lose my shit and dash for a rail service but the next one will be in 30 minutes and if I miss it I /will/ be late (plot twist: I'm late anyway because they'd get delayed or the autumn leaves are the wrong kind of slippery)

2. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

I can't speak for Geneva, but I can tell you that London Underground is paradise on Earth compared to the Brussels Metro. At least in terms of passenger behaviour.

Not that the underground isn't very full, and full of wonderful odours when warm or damp. But it's rare to have your exit from the carriage blocked so that the horde just stand there staring at you expecting you to vanish in a puff of smoke, rather than just moving slightly sideways out of your way. I have once just folded my arms and stared back, I think I should have just waited until the doors closed again, because even then, nobody moved. I was tempted to employ my umbrella to make kebabs bruxellois - but instead had to physically push a couple of people out of my way. Mostly I did the "getting to the bar" lead with the shoulder and eel through the gaps technique - but it was truly pathetic.

No escalator discipline either.

On the other hand, you could buy fresh pain au chocolat and croissants on the platform. Dangerously tempting on the way to work. But my station was unusual in being attached to a shopping centre, most didn't have their own bakery.

1. frobnicate

"the horde just stand there staring at you expecting you to vanish in a puff of smoke"

Have you tried to err... speak to them, to inform about your plans to alight?

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: "the horde just stand there staring at you expecting you to vanish in a puff of smoke"

Have you tried to err... speak to them, to inform about your plans to alight?

Oui. Evidemment.

Firstly this shouldn't be necessary. Mostly the Belgian Metro is half-empty. Even at the height of rush hour, it was nothing compared to London. So people standing in the open doors, facing outwards, are only there for one specific purpose. Which is to get off the bloody train.

Secondly, it rarely made much difference. Hence the shoulder first "approaching the bar" eeling between people method. Hmmm, is eeling a real word? Anyway the couple of times I just used brute force, were particularly densely packed crowds of immobile people, who were just as good at the thousand-yard stare as any London Tube habitue.

Take your small-town American relatives on the tube if you need a laugh. My niece, 6 at the time, assumes the right to talk to anyone - from Tower of London sentries to randon strangers on tube trains. She easily won the war between the impassive stare and the cuteness - but her Mum got very confused, being used to talking to everyone.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So to encourage good behaviour on public transport ...

they chose the one person in the world who never uses it ?

Hell, I've not (yet) seen W1A, but know enough that this story could come from there ....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: So to encourage good behaviour on public transport ...

I caught the first ten minutes. It was nauseating, couldn't deal with it.

5. deadlockvictim

I never realised that HRH was so fond of public transport, but then, I'm rarely on the Tube.

Maybe she's more of a bus person. Do Bentley make buses?

Happy

She used to have a Royal Train. How much more "public transport" can you get!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm sorry but did they just come back from the seventies in a time machine?

Speaking from experience the general population are unable to understand the simple concept of "if you don't let me get off you can't get on"

Even queuing in Asda in certain areas has descended into the hustle and bustle of a third world market and yes I have been to a few.

1. WallMeerkat

Why is it Asda in particular that is bad for this?

I've been to a few supermarkets during busy periods, but it always seems to be Asda that has people queueing up aisles and blocking the way for others trying to get by. It was enough to put me off going when I knew it might even be mildly busy. Do Asda have less tills / staff / queueing area compared to others?

Otherwise I've been to Tesco when reduced fruit and veg were being brought to the end of the aisle, and people were literally climbing over each other for bags of cheap green beans. Between this and the black friday fights for crap TVs, I worry that when society inevitably crumbles soon that it will be outright anarchy. Forget your bus queues then.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It's the same people that go to Primark. They pick up an item, realise it's the wrong size then promptly drop it on the floor.

2. davemcwish

Re: Tesco reduced veg

Sounds like @WallMeerkat's area has the wrong kind of shoppers.

I'm my local Tesco Superstore they have a queuing system and a barriered section, albeit the flimsy kind, for the sale of reduced produce such that the row is 1 person deep. Despite this my observation suggests that this works with the regulars politely waiting till the appointed time. I suspect but can't prove that it's self-policing.

2. Dr Who

Yes you have been to a few what? If it's third world markets then that's fine. If it's Asdas then get yourself to the doctor. You may well have picked up an amoeba or something.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Dr Who

Third world Asdas.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

> Third world Asdas.

So Walmart in the US? (And yes, I'm an American.)

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Yes, Asda is more properly Walmart*ASDA or ASDA, Part of the Walmart Family depending on which sign the shop has up on the wall. They seem to have imported their US customers attitudes and behaviours and sold them BOGOF (Buy One Get One Free) to many of their UK customers,

7. katrinab Silver badge

Which London is this?

Wikipedia lists 18 places called London.

They clearly aren't describing the one in England.

8. frank ly

... dressed as "quintessential" Brits ...

This is cultural appropriation!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: ... dressed as "quintessential" Brits ...

No: This is cultural inappropriation!

2. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Devil

I've been triggered! Who do I complain to / sue?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: I've been triggered! Who do I complain to / sue?

Now I've had just about enough of your nano-aggressions...

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The Crown Prosecution Service of course.

According to them, you've been the subject of a hate crime.

http://www.cps.gov.uk/northeast/victims_and_witnesses/hate_crime/

I think you come under the "any other person" catch all.

9. Arctic fox
    WTF?

I just need to ask.

Speaking as one who was born and grew up in London, which London in which alternate universe are they talking about?

"In London, people wait for the bus patiently and they wait for the others to get off the bus before they get up."

10. wolfetone Silver badge

Geneva have never tried to get on a bus on the Stratford Road in Birmingham.

1. Not also known as SC
      Mushroom

While we’re at it can I add Wolverhampton to the list where they try to board trains (and trams) before the existing passengers get off? I had the misfortune of having to commute to West Brom via the train to Wolverhampton and then tram to my final destination. I have never been anywhere else where passengers waiting on the platform push onto a train while existing passengers are still getting off. It wasn’t as if there were any vacant seats waiting to be filled because the one person wide aisle was already full of people standing or struggling to get off.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Good old Wolverhampton train station, one side is all Virgin rail and the future over a nice walkway then the entrance is dilapidated and looks like it hasn't been serviced since the late fifties.

I've had the pleasure of travelling between Birmingham and Wolverhampton both ways and at various times of the day and there are no rules at rush hour it's like a hunger games with commuters vying for seats or even somewhere to stand.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You get on a bus on the Stratford Rd?

Give that person a bravery medal.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Well to be fair Stratford Road is a 3rd world enclave inside Birmingham.

4. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Geneva have never tried to get on a bus on the Stratford Road in Birmingham.

To be fair, I suspect that Brumagen doesn't have busses big enough to fit Geneva on..

11. tiggity Silver badge

"quintessential" Brits, boarding a bus

Would that be the one with the carrier bag full of Tennents super strength (or other strong lager or similar)

Or maybe the one wielding a double buggy as a lethal weapon.

Possibly the one muttering away to themselves (and a quick look shows they are not talking into a Bluetooth headset)

Or the neanderthal sitting by the bleached blonde who you can tell is just hoping someone "looks at his bird" so things can all kick off

Or maybe me, thinking "I really hate being on public transport" - and actually being polite & courteous to avoid hassle as I don't fancy GBH from some of the other passengers & would like to get to my destination without bloodshed.

1. WallMeerkat

Re: "quintessential" Brits, boarding a bus

Maybe those who are annoyed because not only is the bus late again, and the queue for the next bus ended up on this bus, that the bus is a single decker for some reason despite it being a peak time busy route and having to stand while the bus bounces in and out of drain dips.

Or that awkwardness when 2 queues for seperate buses at the same stop become one, and they arrive at the same time, half the front of the queue has to try and get to the back of the queue that is now the front of the queue for the bus at the back. Headache.

12. Dr_N

Japan

Wrong choice of country. Japanese transport etiquette would have made more sense.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Japan

"Wrong choice of country. Japanese transport etiquette would have made more sense."

Isn't that the place where they employ sumo wrestlers to get push people onto the train than would normally fit in the space available?

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

Re: Japan

That's probably the reality but the good folks in L.A. think it's more like this.

13. Tigra 07
    Pint

Should have used our other stereotypes...

Was she later spotted glassing someone in a bar and yelling abuse at a rival football team supporter?

Devil

Re: Should have used our other stereotypes...

No. That was the Prince Philip lookalike...

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A bus?

Is that the thing at the front of the traffic jam?

15. The Nazz

You lot are too busy working.

You should try catching a bus at 09.30, the significance being that it is most often the first "free" pensioner bus of the day (even for the well off ones - prudence).

You would be shocked at the behaviour of a group who really should know better and set a good example.

Happy

Re: 09.30

It's the ones with the spikes on the sides of their zimmer frames you need to watch out for.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

Not after Brexit.

3. Not also known as SC

@The Nazz

Oh god I think I'm having a PTSD type flashback! I'd managed to put that out of my mind from my Birmingham student days but now the horror is coming back. Yes, the 9:30 bus really was the worst!

4. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"You should try catching a bus at 09.30, the significance being that it is most often the first "free" pensioner bus of the day (even for the well off ones - prudence).

You would be shocked at the behaviour of a group who really should know better and set a good example."

It always surprises me that so many people assume pensioners are all sweetness and light. Thugs, thieves and murderers get old too you know.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like