back to article Camera company, huh? Snap's nerd goggles look destined for landfill

Although Snap Inc. still insists on its home page that it's "a camera company", nobody seems to want its "camera". The core user base of millennials have stayed away from its hardware foray, resulting in an expensive flop. The social network for yoof rebranded itself in the build-up to its IPO in March. Being a social network …

1. The Man Who Fell To Earth Silver badge
    FAIL

Face Spyware

Snaps goggles, like Google Glass, is just wearing Spyware on your face. Not cool.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: Face Spyware

Unlike the Google Glass specs, the Snap Glasses were not trying to blend in - they were large, gaudy and green with no attempt to hide the camera. In its target market, the subjects would be aware that there was a camera pointed at them. If someone wanted to take covert pictures of people, there are many other cheaper, less proprietary, longer lasting, more discreet and generally fitter-for-purpose options out there. For better, or more likely, worse.

Hehe, I'm just thinking of a caricature of a Cold War spy (either a Tuxedoed 007 or a great coat-clad Smiley, take your pick) sneaking around a dingy filing room wearing green novelty sunglasses.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: a Tuxedoed 007 or a great coat-clad Smiley, take your pick

then I pick Callan...

... no, better still, Lonely.

2. Blank Reg

Re: Face Spyware

That may be so, but my millennial aged daughter still referred to them as perv glasses. And anyone seen wearing them was rightly ridiculed for voluntarily looking so stupid.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge
    Coat

Snapchat addicts – "some of the most plugged in and digitally aware people on earth,"

Plugged in? I thought it worked over the air.

Mine's the one with a reel of Cat 5 in the pocket.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"some of the most plugged in and digitally aware people on earth,"

D*ckhead bloggers from youtube that talk b*llocks.

FTFY.

4. Haku

"some of the most plugged in and digitally aware people on earth"

AKA a generation that doesn't know what the word "analogue" means without having to ask their smartphone.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "some of the most plugged in and digitally aware people on earth"

I know what that means, I went for a pee analogue.

5. tony2heads

Estimating that the number is 250,000, that's over $30m worth of stock.

The stock is worth approximately $0 if nobody wants it.

1. Snowy Silver badge
      Coat

Re: Estimating that the number is 250,000, that's over $30m worth of stock.

Or less if you have to pay someone to take away and dispose of them.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Estimating that the number is 250,000, that's over $30m worth of stock.

If I send them a self-addressed stamped envelope will they send me a pair? I only want them for the fashion.

6. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

"Snap's net loss for Q2 was $443.1m."

So with a bit of work that could top a $1Bn loss by years end.

Silicon valley.

Were a big number is always better than a small number, even if it's a -ve number.

7. jelabarre59

Concerts

Maybe 1st PLACE software could rent them out for their "AR Live" vocaloid concerts (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtoI9wwYtls&t=869s). 1st Place tends to prefer AR technology over rear-projection holograms like the Project Diva shows use.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dancing Hot Dog...

....you can always rely on Amazon reviewers to rip a stupid idea to shreds...

"I don't want to live on this planet anymore."

"They called me a loser. Everyone doubted me. I put this costume on today -- look who's the weiner now."

9. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

If your last hope is a dancing AR hotdog...

10. Missing Semicolon Silver badge
    Happy

Where do I sign up to get one

... for $2, for parts!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like