back to article Spare me the confected 'Innovation Theatre' that is hackfests and their ilk

I had a vasectomy on Tuesday. After the procedure, as I sat sulking on the couch, sipping a cup of tea and clutching an icepack to the affected area, I thought I would quickly check my emails to see if there was anything that would take my mind off the experience. The first email I opened invited me to participate as the guest …

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Dangerous Operator in the Twilight Zone. A Major Cause for Concerns.

It puts me in mind of a young and enthusiastic away team on the starship Enterprise that are training for a particularly gruelling colonisation mission. After weeks or months of vigorous training they hear the klaxon that tells them it is show time. They burst from the insertion craft and begin their treacherous journey through a hazardous, alien environment towards the distant colonisation target.

Zoom out to the captain who is monitoring their progress on a screen in his quarters, smug in the knowledge only he possess that the team was on a holodeck all along and all work is for nought but a pat on the back. The payload was virtual all along. Any real intent had been syphoned from neatly a clipped incision along the vas deferens of corporate culture called inertia.

Such is a breeding ground for deserved contempt and mutinous rebellion and leads top guns to show and shower their wares elsewhere in fields which are surely infested with the enemies of competition and opposition.

Smug captains are a weakness which future commanders do not afford.

2. Peter Prof Fox

It didn't effect your spelling then

Drivel

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It didn't effect your spelling then

Oh dear....

s/eff/aff/

3. frank ly

Playmobil Recreation Please

I decided not to ask for pictures.

4. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Coat

"Warren Burns"

Grand son of Monty perhaps?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "Warren Burns"

Certainly not Rabbie

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I know how it feels

I receive such rabble almost every day in my job. Apparently everyone does here, so it does not really reflect on the role. It does however reflect on the employer, and not in a good way - which is why I am looking for a better one. I wonder if C-suite will ever notice the connection between their vacuous blabbering and employee turnover ...

6. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

According to the by-line Simon had a vasectomy so where does Warren Burns come into the picture?

Or is the by-line wrong?

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

I see Simon's vasectomy has been quickly reversed. More power to him.

7. tojb
    Thumb Up

"Innovation is in our DNA"

Said the chief exec who kept his show on the road via one trivial and perversely registered patent for many many years.

So true Mr Burns.

8. Daedalus
    Thumb Up

Coming attractions

>> “It will be a weight off your mind” she continued

Actually it turns out to be a weight off your partner's mind. Better get in shape.

9. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Too. Much. Information.

about your series of tubes.

10. Gene Cash Silver badge

Free exposure!

This is not much different than the requests that artists get for "I need a logo!" or "I need an album cover for my band" or whatever artwork they want for free.

Recently there's been a lot of "I need someone to write ${THIS} Android|Apple app!"

The usual "payment" is "you'll get exposure and something for your portfolio!"

Just say "no" like everyone else.

11. Colin Tree

clueless businessmen

Society has to take the money away from the clueless businessmen and give it to innovators.

They are just stealing your ingenuity and fresh thinking because they have none.

It is sad that money rules the world, because they are just festering maggots, sucking goodness, taking and not giving back.

Part of the click wrap agreement is all ideas submitted or developed are owned by them, and they don't have to give you squat.

Talking to universities is just the same.

Incubators want a saleable product, or a quick path to release and profitability. Basically they just do the marketing, again a clueless bunch of businessmen.

These days, tech gear and development systems are pretty cheap and your solo development path isn't so steep. Do some yourself, align with like minded mates and do it yourselves.

Get a product ready then crowdfund it to get production up.

Pity you don't have the balls to do it anymore.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon