back to article Don't be a turkey: Help Linus Torvalds finish Linux 4.14 before it ruins Thanksgiving

Linux kernel overlord Linus Torvalds wants to avoid an eighth release candidate for the new version of Linux, to avoid delays to the next version. The kernel community is currently hard at work on version 4.14, which got its seventh release candidate on Sunday. That release was only around for six days, after Torvalds …

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

Hacking. A HELL of a lot more fun than shopping. Especially on Black Friday.

I consider the time from Thanksgiving to Christmas to be pure hell, and stay home as much as possible. The traffic and people out there are complete and total assholes.

1. jake Silver badge

There is a reason it's called ...

... "The Horrorday Season" around these parts.

1. Lith

Re: There is a reason it's called ...

is that because you like to do bad Japanese impressions round your parts?

2. fishman

Going out to shop? What a quaint idea.

I prefer to shop with a cup of coffee or tea nearby. And wearing slippers.

2. ysth

Was that a joke? TG is *always* on Thursday.

1. jake Silver badge

Thursday South of the 49th.

On a Monday North.

For you Brits, it's essentially nothing more than a harvest festival, with the usual lies and misremembered traditions and other tat that get attached to such things.

3. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Thanksgiving

Also inconvenient is that Thanksgiving will see much of the USA down tools for several days, as it falls on Thursday this year.

It is always on a Thursday and is followed by Mad Black Friday where those without hangovers go bonkers with what little money they don't have.

Can we just shove them all over a cliff like the lemmings?

Bah Humbug!

4. Jack A. Lope

Thanksgiving on Thursday this year

Actually, in the US Thanksgiving falls on Thursday every year, specifically the fourth Thursday of November. It is a reliable four-day weekend for many people but not everybody. Since Simon works in Vulture South and probably is unfamiliar with American holidays, I will give him a pass on this.

5. Korev Silver badge

Internationalisation?

Please don't use Thanksgiving to refer to a particular time of year; to the rest of the world it doesn't mean anything. To a Canadian it even means a completely different date.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Devil

Re: Internationalisation?

I don't know, many of us Brits are have been asked by our US brethren if we celebrate Thanksgiving. Of course the the answer is always;

"Yes, but we hear you changed it in your history books to make out it was due to you overthrowing British rule, conveniently forgetting about the previous declaration two years prior in the Houses of Parliament, that that we no longer wanted the burden of looking after the Northern American territories and that we should remove our obligations at the earliest opportunity. It was simply awaiting approval from the King."

1. fishman

Re: Internationalisation?

""Yes, but we hear you changed it in your history books to make out it was due to you overthrowing British rule,"

I've never heard anything about Thanksgiving and overthrowing British rule, and I'm a Merican. Sounds like fake news......

6. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Surely too late?

Perhaps I misunderstand, but isn't it a question of how many bugs are left in release candidate 7? If none to speak of, then an rc8 won't be needed - but if bugs are there then they ought to be found and fixed, and not included in a final release. So it's your duty to spoil Linus's Thanksgiving if you can by finding those bugs.

7. Alistair
    Windows

Good to know that some of my countrymen have already been in to make note that .... well ... it'll be almost a year before thanksgiving comes about in this neck of the woods.

For the lot below the border, I turn off the US on the Wednesday, for about a week, just to avoid the shopocalysms. Horribly, they've been trying to set that disease on us up here over the last bunch of years. I think our only revenge for that export was to send you Bieber.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

But I'll release 4.14 when it feels ready ready, not when convenient.”

If only every other company on the planet did this, rather than release on trade show, or other deadlines....

Sick to death of buying broken products that get patched later (if ever) and I have no legal recourse to take it back...

The name and shame list is endless... Top of mine would be Panasonic AllPlay devices, which are even today an unreliable mess

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: But I'll release 4.14 when it feels ready ready, not when convenient.”

Re: But I'll release 4.14 when it feels ready ready, not when convenient.”

Damn right. Just how software development should be done.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like