back to article Boss put chocolate cake on aircon controller, to stop people using it

Far out, it's Friday! Which means it's time for another edition of On-Call, El Reg's week-ending reader-contributed tales of support gigs that went south. This week, meet “Jim” who one tended “a reasonably-sized server room/wiring closet, which hosted a number of internal and production systems. We were rather fortunate in …

Page:

1. DJ Smiley

Sorry!

The cake was a lie!

1. Servman

Re: Sorry!

The Network Operations Centre would like to remind you that <garble>first you will be baked<garble> then there will be cake.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

A whole new version of...

"Let them eat cake !"

3. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

Where's Simon when you need him?

Clearly a situation that calls for a BOFH-modded cattle prod, or a stairwell accident, or something weird happening to the elevators, or a freak Halon incident (triggered by a cocoa powder sensor an Arduino and some actuators?), or any solution involving quicklime and a roll of carpet.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Where's Simon when you need him?

Ah. Read that as QuickTime and a roll of carpet. It'd probably still work, though.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I hope the COO got his just desserts.

5. Paul

Dessert on a climate control panel?

Someone was trying to have their cake and heat it!

1. AbelSoul
      Pint

Re: have their cake and heat it!

Bravo Paul, bravo sir!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Someone was trying to have their cake and heat it!"

Explains perhaps why Boris Johnson is so...ah...tubby. Have his cake and eat it + hot air.

6. Teiwaz

So, my first read....

Boss put chocolate cake on aircon controller, to stop people using it

Stop people using it?

Which? - The chocolate cake or the aircon?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: So, my first read....

I was in a meeting once discussing a move to a new premises that was being renovated for our use. The main topic was the design of various rooms designated for equipment use. Someone had put the air con control panel on the outside of the server room on the plan. This was queried as it meant that anyone could change the temperature in the server room without needing to get inside. As the door would be restricted to authorised users this was a security risk. So the panel is moved on the drawing to inside the room. Basically just on the backside of the same wall so the cabling should be the same.

Next meeting the panel is back where it was and again someone spots this and flags it up. On a conference call with contractors they tell us that they didn't do it. This is the latest version of the plans so something isn't right somewhere. We query with the architects and discover that they have been moving things around. Why? - That took some explaining but it boiled down to a case of aesthetics. The door to the server room was in a very small corridor leading to an office. The air con panel for the office was in this corridor too. When asked why the server panel was outside we were directed to a rendering of the corridor. It looks better putting it directly opposite the one on the other wall for the office than not having it there don't you think? "Nice bit of symmetry!"

1. Mark 85

At least they didn't hand you the feng shui thing about why.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"it boiled down to a case of aesthetics."

We had an architect with a fetish for putting windows right up to the corners of the building on both walls. Presumably it made it look as if the building was being held up by magic when, of course, everyone knew the external walls weren't load-bearing and the building was held up by pillars just behind the windows and blocking the light. Presumably in architect thinking it's better to be stupid and look clever rather than be clever and look ordinary.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Aaaah, food related support queries.

* The one about the Sony FX-series laptops that almost always got biscuit crumbs down the latch sensor at the front, holding the flap down and making the machine refuse to turn on.

* The one about the user who constantly complained about the poor quality keyboards we supplied, yet never grasped the link between those poor quality keyboards and the amount of pastry flakes we emptied out each time.

* The one about the customer who complained that we spilt Coca-Cola on their laptop during a repair, because they could never ever have done that - it got locked in a safe every night. (This was in the days of a laptop being expensive enough put in a safe). It went all the way through to legal action before their partner admitted, the evening before it was due in court, that they'd spilt it and lobbed it away in a panic.

* The desktop PC we discovered a really, REALLY mouldy sandwich inside. Initial examinations with a very long proddy stick showed it to be possibly bacon - and probably stashed there to keep warm, or because someone was meant to be on a diet. It was way past the stage of smelliness and had crossed the line into fossilisation.

1. Adam 1

So sad that someone could waste bacon like that.

2. JimboSmith Silver badge

Yeah been close to the pastry flakes. Had a new user complain about a crunching sound that came from the keyboard when they typed. We swapped out the keyboard and then opened it for investigation downstairs. We found toast crumbs in there sufficient to be at least one slice of bread. The previous occupant of the desk had always eaten breakfast at the office and this consisted of toast from the canteen. Also in there were two tiny black ball bearings, a stretched out paperclip and four propelling pencil leads.

In another the keys were sticking and upon opening the thing up we found out why. A slightly milky but otherwise mostly clear sticky substance was coating the interior. Upon confronting the user about their habits they admitted to having accidentally dropped a glass of sugar free lemonade onto the keyboard. They'd run a damp cloth over the keys but made no attempt to drain it at all. Unsurprisingly it was suffering next day during operation,

8. mt_head

Saw this as a giant mural on the wall of a pie shop once...

"My favorite people are the people of the dessert", said Lawrence as he picked up his fork.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Coat

Re: Saw this as a giant mural on the wall of a pie shop once...

Whould that be Afternoon TEa Lawrence?

1. Chas

Re: Saw this as a giant mural on the wall of a pie shop once...

Bravo, sir/madam. Have a hot buttered crumpet and an upvote for your trouble.

Or perhaps you prefer muffins...

=:~)

9. dvd

Heating / Aircon

I've never worked anywhere yet where the heating / aircon worked adequately. Ever. One place that I worked had the thermostat in the boss's tiny office in an open plan building of about 10000 square foot. That worked well. And that sort of shit was pretty typical.

I've also never worked anywhere yet where anyone who could didn't fiddle with the thermostat constantly as the temperature was uncomfortable somewhere in the office.

Surely this shit should be sorted out by now.

1. Olivier2553

Re: Heating / Aircon

This only proves, if needs be, that open office is a stupid idea.

I am alone in my office and never change any setting on the aircond.

1. Aladdin Sane

Set it to low. If people are cold, they can wear jumpers.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Coat

No! Set it to warm. If people are hot, they can undress.

1. John G Imrie

No! Set it to warm. If people are hot, they can undress.

That sounded fine, until I looked at my co-workers. ARGH!!!!!!

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"If people are hot, they can undress."

Nelly approves.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

"If people are hot, they can undress."

...because there's nothing as much fun as peeling your buttocks off an office chair on a sweaty day...

3. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

NOOO

I could not un-see my colleagues (who are not swimsuit models). Even the thought is disturbing

4. Hollerithevo

Nooooooo!!! I do NOT want to see my IT colleagues in their skivvies.

5. kain preacher

Some folks I do not want to see nude

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

MOST folks I do not want to see nude

There, FTFY

6. JulieM Silver badge

But what happens if it's still too hot, even when you have no clothes left to take off?

7. MachDiamond Silver badge

"No! Set it to warm. If people are hot, they can undress."

There are many more people on this planet in proportion that I'd rather NOT see unclothed, thank you very much.

8. Lilolefrostback

Before you suggest that, look around the office at your co-workers and consider very carefully whether you really want to see them nekkid.

2. MsScullz

With all due respect, I have to strongly disagree that "wearing jumpers" is the solution here. Just putting on a jumper doesn't fix the fact that my fingers and nose start to go numb with cold if the temperature drops below 20 degrees. I have been known to sit here wearing a hat and scarf. I sometimes also don mitts, but they make typing pretty hard work, which is far from ideal given that I'm a sys admin.

I don't know what the solution is to prevent air con wars in offices, but dismissing people who genuinely can't cope with the air temperature being cold is not it.

1. David Nash Silver badge

It's true the hands really start to suffer even if you wear a jumper.

I once worked in the Gherkin in London, such a modern building, you'd think that the environment would be right, wouldn't you? Except that inside there are these big areas cut out of the floors on several floors above each other, so you have something like balconies that can look down several floors. So if you are at or near the bottom of one of these sections the air just disappears up this section, leading to use of mini electric heaters in the offices.

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

"It's true the hands really start to suffer even if you wear a jumper."

That's what these are for: http://www.kiwikate.co.uk/shop/Shop+by+Product/Gloves/Gloves+-+Possum+Merino+with+Silk-2%3Fsku=01239.html

2. keithpeter Silver badge
            Coat

"I don't know what the solution is to prevent air con wars in offices, but dismissing people who genuinely can't cope with the air temperature being cold is not it."

This might sound daft but it is not meant to be: some form of localised heating?

Other countries may have this sorted a bit... but not for hands...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kotatsu

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korsi

Gamers...

http://www.odditycentral.com/news/this-infrared-heat-lamp-keeps-your-hands-warm-as-you-type.html

Coat: I always have a fleece in my bag in case of aggressive aircon

3. Long John Brass
            Flame

I don't know what the solution is to prevent air con wars in offices, but dismissing people who genuinely can't cope with the air temperature being cold is not it.

It's not much fun the other way either. Worked in offices where the ladies had firm control over the AC temperatures. This left me a molten puddle of human flesh; Unable to think work, think or do anything useful. They thought this was great fun and many snide remarks were made at my expense.

Started spending time in the machine room. You would often find me sitting on the machine room floor with a laptop & Ethernet into the back one of the switches.

4. Olivier2553

Not sure you'll read it, 3 days after the original article.

Wearing a scarf is a good solution . In fact you need to protect your head, neck, and spine the most. When your body gets cold, it will send warm blood to the essential places listed above, so you will have less blood to warm your hands and feet.

It is not very useful to protect your hands and feet, you better keep the very essential places warm. That's one of the reason why scuba diving wet suits has double layer of neoprene along the spine (triple layer if you count that pants too) and a hood. But you can go bare feet and bare hands.

When you have cold feet, cover your neck.

3. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Leaving aside the HSS implications, jumpers don't keep your hands warm..

(Or at least not in those of us that already have a lower-than-average body temperature and poor circulation..)

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

My wife knitted me a large jumper with overlong and very wide arms. On the coldest days I can drape them over the keyboard and still touch type or completely cover the mouse and still use it.

Haven't found a good way to keep my nose warm though :<:)

2. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

I was reading a piece recently in some industry journal or other that comfort testing on air-con shows women on average want a temperature about 1.5°C higher than men. To make this worse, this is very much an average, and people's preferred temperatures differ wildly.

Making it an unsolvable problem.

You can help by using things like chilled beams, which cool the office without causing a cold draft. But there is no perfect answer.

Although giving people access to controllers that don't work can help a bit. People will bugger the system up, and it will tend to be the most extreme people who care most, so if you let them you'll end up with the temperature at 16°C or 25°C. But they'll feel a bit better just by pressing buttons, and feeling that they're having some input.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You're definitely right about the most extreme people caring the most. I shared an office with a bunch of people who were all happy with anything around 20ish but there was one guy who who was very... well let's say he had a high volume to surface area ratio because that's the thermally relevant feature. He insisted that 16°C was the only reasonable temperature. So we ended up with a 'compromise' of about 17-18°C when a real compromise would have been 19.5°C and a gym subscription.

1. Stevie

Many years ago I worked with a large gentleman in a Victorian UK building.

He was happy to sweat it out. Everyone around him was less merry.

Let the big guys rule the thermostat and wear more layers, or you *will* regret it, there being no BO laws on the books.

2. W4YBO

I installed a non-functioning thermostat in a studio area once. Worked great for about a year until some smartass tied a ribbon to a vent that could be seen from the faux thermostat's location.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I worked for a small firm in a rented house once. A wife of a co-worker started working for us for a while and would put the central heating on *in summer*.

It was impossible to work in the high 20's, so I got some relief by turning off the boiler directly. Her doting husband found out and turned it back on.

She eventually got the living room to herself with an electric heater. That lasted until the boss walked in and realised he was paying for the electric that could power a sauna.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

I have a colleague who's been given a little space-heater in her office. To be fair to her she gets very cold, and really does struggle at a temperature where I'm happy with a slightly thicker top.

And you can't just wear a jumper, when the temp falls below some point, your hands stop working properly. If I've got a nice jumper on I can be perfectly happily warm, and not even vaguely uncomfortable, at a temperature of around 15°C. But at that point I can't type very fast because my hands are too cold.

The problem with her is that she's perfectly happy at 22°C, which I can cope with. But she just doesn't understand thermostats. No, turning it up won't make it hotter, quicker. It just means the heater stays on longer. I walked into her room last winter with a thermometer. She still had her little scarf on, and it was 27°C! When I pointed out that it was just a trifle warm in there, she told me that it was just perfect, and to leave the heater controls alone. I don't know who designed the thermostat on that thing, but she had it turned to full and it still hadn't clicked off. If the office were open plan, there'd be more arguments.

1. David Nash Silver badge

27 degrees!

The problem is that of the frog in the boiling water.

She's cold so turns it up and it gradually goes up until it's 27. She doesn't notice the increase except that she starts to feel no longer cold.

Whereas you walk in and it's like getting off a plane on your summer holiday.

2. kain preacher

Heater on in the summer ? She is clearly not human.

4. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

women on average want a temperature about 1.5°C higher than men

In my household it's the other way around. I set the thermostat to ~20c and yet, when I look at it a day or so later, it's somehow mysteriously gone down to 16C..

She tries to blame the cats, but the thermostat is about 5 foot up a blank wall. And besides which, if it was up to the cats, it would be set to 30C (being descended from desert creatures and all that).

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like