back to article DXC: Hands up in customer support – who wants redundo?

DXC Technologies is seeking volunteers in customer support teams to strap themselves to the redundancy cannon as the process of shipping jobs out of higher wage locations and into cheaper ones continues. Peter Hands, the Frankenfirm’s UK and Ireland veep of the "deliver" unit, issued a memo to staff yesterday that was seen by …

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Oblig

Would the last person to leave please switch off the lights!

It would be interesting to know if there is a rush for the exits or have all those who were any good gone already?

Will Management be taking a haircut as well? Somehow I doubt it.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"The UK must continue to do its part"

"Do more with less" is not a capitalist mantra: it is the byline of those who enrich themselves at the expense of shrinking, and eventually destroying, the corporations which they are supposed to be devolping --- it's effectively an active form of insider trading. That is why those who do it continue to misuse language to suggest that it's "tuning rather than pruning" --- the reality is that it's simply a drive into a brick wall. However, the longer they prolong it, the longer they can milk their customers and employees.

"Do a lot more with a little more" would be much more appropriate as a rallying call: this is how capitalism is supposed to work: you constantly seek the best ratio of growth to investment. Sure, you sometimes need to contract: but you hardly need to be an expert in extrapolation to see that this cannot be "business as usual" unless you have given up on the future of the business.

So, no, DXC are not an example of "the worst excess of capitalism" --- they are an example of one of the ways it breaks (as predicted by the marvellous Adam Smith* himself): Capitalism is the way we can all become richer: but it can be subverted, by people who have sufficent power and insufficient regulation, to work only for those at the top (precious few of whom started their employment much further down).

AC because I work for the borg. If you recognise my writing style or sentiments ... shhhh.

* Wealth of Nations is (long) out of copyright and is an incredible read. give it a go, it's here

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "The UK must continue to do its part"

Its just asset strip mate.

Its how things roll in a declining market.

Where do you imagine the commitment to return 30% of the value of DXC to shareholders over the first 3 years of DXC comes from? How can you strip that much ca$h from a company and still leave it functioning?

DXC or IBM or whoever, are businesses operating in a sector with no visible end of decline and no "next big thing" to move on to. The "next big thing" isn't big at all, its smaller and smaller, cheaper and cheaper. Its about on par with a car manufacturer finding cars are being replaced by bicycles.

3. Denarius

About time

for a cost of social services "Outsourcing Tax" on companies that export jobs.

4. Miss Lincolnshire
    Pint

BAU

I've every sympathy for the poor sods still there but why is this still news?

EDS, HP and HPE ES have been culling the workforce every quarter bar one for the best part of ten years, CSC have been doing the same. So the fact that the bastard offspring of both continues that mindless policy under the same intellectually bankrupt "leadership" is hardly shocking.

Redundancies are BAU at DXC, indeed the likes of Nick Wilson revel in them, but it's no longer news.

Pint because my payoff's in the bank.

1. Paul Kunert

Re: BAU

Get your point but IMHO it remains news because the UK government and private sector still have contracts running with DXC and they need to understand what is happening at the company. And more importantly still, it is worth reporting because the hard pressed workforce at DXC should be given a voice as management don't seem to listen.

Best,

Paul @ El Reg

1. Miss Lincolnshire

Thanks for the response Paul.

I get your point and I agree. My comment was intended to be tongue in cheek, just a comment on how redundancy is normalised at places like DXC. The quarterly VR mail is anticipated and expected it's not a surprise arrival. It's more of a story internally if you've not received one.

I still have friends at DXC. Good people. They deserve for their story to be publicised and the opportunity to post something here in response. If nothing else it annoys the thin skinned clown that is overseeing the decimation in the UK&I area, Nick Wilson, to see these stories published and his name checked.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

this company is a disgrace they make people redundant then replace them with high paid contracter. they do it 3 times a year sometimes more. they don't care about permanent staff at all. no management on sight they work in different building or at home. they demote loyal staff and they don't even speak to them face to face. how are they getting away with this. people have mortgages to pay. they don't recognise union so staff are stuck. and as it's newcastle uk jobs are hard to come by in the IT sector.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Different day/month/year/company name same shit, how are us grunts in Tech Support supposed to stay motivated? Accelerate your career down the pan, at HP/HPE/DXC !

6. Amos1

Not being British, I actually thought "VR" was sarcasm for "virtual reality" and was referring to the claimed profitability goals for the merger that created DXC.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bleak times at DXC!

All this on top of the times article last Saturday. "Computer upgrade for MoD is £900m fiasco"

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

As a contractor at a DXC site, it appears they spent all their money on propaganda. Be it videos of how great they are on a 24x7 loop, placards, balloons, and other dxc logo'd crap they handed out on day 1 of becoming dxc.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

contractor to contractor advice

Build some slack into your rate.

I guarantee that they will come at you for a 10% rate cut and demand you take additional unpaid days off, Contractor Furlough, over Christmas, Easter, Whit and the Summer.

No point planning on a 48 week year with these shysters.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yep, completely agree with this, I work on several different projects at several customers locations where there are AIrbus, BAE, Capita, DXC, FJ, MoD and a few other companies and government departments.

My observations regarding DXC is the talented and able members of their staff moral has hit rock bottom, some really guy girls and boys who can't even get to a urgent and quickly arranged customer meeting as they need to get 3 week approval to spend £20 to get tot he meeting location. This to ensure that all expenses are actually warranted, but how much does it cost and how many people have to process the £20 pre-approval so that an engineer can get to a meeting to provide insight that will stop thousands of pounds and weeks of delays due to an issue, that they can see, not being mentioned at a meeting.

Or course VTC's can be used, but only if you have the facility to take part in one.

As for FJ, wow, firstly they can't get staff and the staff they do get they can't keep and they are paying half the going daily rate one would expect, subsequently they have engineers in fields they have no experience or knowledge of. I know of at least two network teams that are predominately made of of people who have never touched or managed a network or have never working in IT before, they are now network designers and some are working NOCs.

The most ironic thing about these two thing is that they are related.

I know of one place where FJ permies are leaving FJ to work on the same project they currently are, but contracting to DXC via one of several companies. They will be performing hte same job they currently do, on the same project in the same building, but earning between 30 to 60% more (depending upon their negotiating skills) then with FJ.

What makes this funnier is that some of the DXC permies on that project have been made redundant and many have been, and no doubt will be, put at risk under this.

Whilst I previously mention DXC have some great staff, their management is basically a bunch of mates who protect each other, have no real experience, have passed an exam like the CISSP and so therefore consider themselves to be security and architectural experts. It's funny how this lot, who I sometimes have to suffer the incompetence of, seem to be never put at risk and can always find a senior position on any new bid or project.

Rant over, and good luck to those good engineers that are still with DXC, I hope you find somewhere that appreciate your skills and efforts soon!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Completely agree.

The travel approval situation is madness; a few month ago a travel approval had to go to an L3 manager. I could understand this if it was a last-minute, Business Class flight to Australia, but this was mileage only and came to the grand total of £4.40...

These guys REALLY need to look up "opportunity cost" in the dictionary.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It was Peter Hands himself who visited Erskine a couple of weeks ago and stated, in front of the Restricted Global Delivery workforce, that there would be no redundancies in the near future. Self-serving tosspot.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Errr... No, he stated the bloodletting would be slightly less arterial this time round.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Erskine...

The place is a joke. They have a HR team constantly doing events that only they turn up too. They should be first for the chopping block before any other staff. Then sort out their canteen, cold food 5 minutes after the place opens is not good :P

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

As one who works for a sub-contractor under DXC, I can affirm that they just lost one of there biggest accounts, in Procter & Gamble. Lost to a controversial company in India named HCL Technologies. (Google Disney and HCL)

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Smaller and smaller

DXC UK must be shrinking to literally nothing as El Reg stories about them used to get loads of comments and now its only a handful.

That's probably a meaningful metric.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There is a clue in the name

Having engaged with CSC many times over the years and been underwhelmed I thought it entirely fitting that they renamed themselves DXC - phonetically 'Dicks', yup that sums it up perfectly.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No clue

A disconnected and scattered sales force trying to sell a set of disparate products and services which are delivered by a dwindling number of technical experts. The future of the industry is not 'mega-corp inc' - DXC seem to think that every customer is the same and will buy exactly what they tell them to buy - nicely pre-packaged in a shiny shiny marketing wrapper, but is actually nothing more than slideware. Many of the sales people at DXC were superb at what they do in CSC or HPE - driving innovative conversations and utilising a huge array of resources to support them. Now, it's a shambles - nobody knows what they can sell or who they can sell it too. DXC is so focussed on profit and driving the return on the merger that they've completely lost sight of what made CSC and HPE relatively good companies. When renewing a contract is celebrated as a success, and failing to renew is just swept quietly under the carpet with a mumbling set of excuses blaming the customer, then you know that a company is really going to struggle. The ITO market in the UK and Europe is growing, yet DXC have side-lined most of their senior ITO people into nimby jobs selling a single 'service product' - as long as it's over the phone from your home office in your pyjamas and not an actual face to face meeting with those dreaded 'expenses pre-approvals'...

Until some sales leadership with balls takes control then they'll keep slashing and burning at the platform they're standing on - focussed on profit and forgetting about growth or delivery excellence.

And sadly, all of my observations are from the outside looking in - it would be great to hear if I'm even near the mark as a 3rd party!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: No clue

Bob on mate.

However, "Until some sales leadership with balls takes control" is never going to happen.

Its a brutal dictatorship with only one person in charge who doesn't listen to anyone but himself.

He's on a mission to strip 30% of the company into dollars and he's going to do it. He's so busy with this fire sale that actual business just isn't important, its all about the asset strip. Anything else is just fluff, smoke and mirrors while he plays his corporate monopoly game which is never ending.

Which is a shame, because there still are employees 100% customer focused with decent skills striving to do what they've always done - create and maintain IT systems or die trying.

The numbers are dwindling though through absolute bloodbath attrition.

But its not just DXC, this is happening all over ITO....

I don't think anyone getting chucked out the door would touch another ITO employer ever again.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: No clue

I don't think anyone getting chucked out the door would touch another ITO employer ever again.

People would be fools to. Working in in house IT is generally far more rewarding and less pressured because the emphasis is on delivery rather than on stripping 10% of the cost of a deal that had 15% of the cost stripped out of it already to to get the customer to sign

15. Gareth Douglas

me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please, me please.

Pretty please?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon