back to article The net's a sprawling data mire – Webhose.io sprays away the gunk

Webhose.io turns the undrinkable torrent of web text data into sippable glasses filtered just for you. Suppose you want to find all mentions on the web of Oracle and Mark Hurd over the past three days. You can't do this on Google. Searching "Oracle" + "Mark Hurd" gets you 229,000 results in 0.47 seconds, but it's not ordered …

1. Baldrickk

Is it just me...

or does this read more like an ad-icle than news about a new service or some sort of search engine review?

1. Jim Mitchell
      WTF?

Re: Is it just me...

An "ad-icle" would have better photos (I hope), those look like mugshots!

2. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Coat

"does this read more like an ad-icle"

Yup, good to knon El Reg is returning to its roots.

Give us da cash, you get the story.

1. K
      Gimp

Re: "does this read more like an ad-icle"

That beats being pumped Cloud hosted services and DevOps propaganda.

I always felt used and dirty after being fooled into click those.. at least this had some mild interest to it..

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How is this not industrialised copyright violation?

4. Bill M

Suppose you want to find all mentions on the web of Oracle and Mark Hurd over the past three days

"Suppose you want to find all mentions on the web of Oracle and Mark Hurd over the past three days"

Well I certainly don't.

For anyone who does then not sure if they need sympathy or psychiatric treatment. But definitely not a means of enablement.

5. chivo243 Silver badge
    Black Helicopters

Thar she blows!

A spook contract waiting to be plucked!

I'm pretty sure this company has gotten the attention of three letter clubs from around the world.l

6. WolfFan Silver badge

need better quality example

no-one cares about 'Mark Hurd' and 'Oracle' in the last three days. Now, a search for combinations of 'Theresa May', 'dom outfit' 'Jeremy Corbyn', 'ball gag', those results may be of interest. Just don't forget the 'h' or you'll get the wrong T. May.

7. David Dawson

This Editorial Sponsored By...

Er. Right, well, it's obvious.

Chris got paid, drinks are on him!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

As much as I despise Google

in the concept of fair play

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Oracle+Mark+Hurd&lr=&biw=2431

&bih=1329&source=lnt

&tbs=sbd%3A1%2Ccdr

%3A1%2Ccd_min%3A10%2F22

%2F2017%2Ccd_max%3A10%2F25%2F2017&tbm=

1. Jan 0 Silver badge

Re: As much as I despise Google

Yes but the result is the usual google garbage. E.g. not all the Marks are Mark Hurd, some are just marks. The Oracle references may have no connection with Mark Hurd, just strings in the same document. Perhaps the webhose.io search is more focused?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Well I must have a different google, because a simple test of "Oracle" + "Mark Hurd", then chose the latest week (getting specific time frame is also possible) the pages I checked, three of them because I got bored, showed the correct results.

1. Baldrickk

Yes, if you quote the search terms, i.e. I want to search for both (Oracle) + (Mark Hurd) you get the desired results:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?tbs=sbd%3A1%2Ccdr%3A1%2Ccd_min%3A10%2F22%2F2017%2Ccd_max%3A10%2F25%2F2017&q=%22Oracle%22+%22Mark+Hurd%22

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon