back to article Google emits tools to make cross-platform HTML apps less tragic

At the Chrome Dev Summit in San Francisco, California, on Monday, Google took another stab at making HTML-based apps less of a crapshoot. In a tag-team keynote, Ben Galbraith, director of the Chrome Web Platform, and Dion Almaer, developer relations lead, revisited the nearly decade-long effort to make web development more …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Or maybe just make your web apps less terrible?

If a person has paid extra to obtain the only mobile that doesn't run Google's operating system, perhaps that says something about the extent to which they don't want their apps to look and behave like Google's operating system? So maybe it would be sensible not to override their native scrolling behaviour with a thirty-minutes-and-done half-hearted Javascript emulation of the same thing, and not plaster your own fifth-rate navigation bar underneath their ordinary navigation bar if they're inattentive enough accidentally to open an AMP link?

If they have a desktop computer, maybe accept the gesture that means "scroll vertically" to scroll vertically, not zoom? If you want a gesture to zoom, why not use that platform's zoom gesture instead of ignoring it completely?

Google is the last company that should be listened to re: quality of user experience.

1. JLV

Re: Or maybe just make your web apps less terrible?

my pet hate: the dropdown component that resets back to the top +1 down every time your arrow-down gets you to the bottom of the visible list.

as seen in: gmail label dropdown on Firefox desktop.

someone should be taken behind the shed, tied up and forced to listen to Katy Perry on a Zune for that. no video allowed, unless it's on a Trump loop.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Or maybe just make your web apps less terrible?

There are many reasons people opt to "not buy android" personally I couldn't find a small phone I liked despite being with android for many years. The phones were all getting bigger and the ones which remained ~4" were very hit and miss or badly needing a refresh so I ended up on an iPhone SE.

I'm not a commuter that sits on their phone though to me it's a tool and I continue to use many of the same apps on it as I did on android so those devs have continued to get my money, in some cases twice.

Picking a mobile isn't done solely on OS. I find IOS very "meh" but it works well enough, I just didn't want another brick in my pocket when I need to carry it 24/7 as I'm a carer for several elderly relatives.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Phil Endecott

Obligatory XKCD

https://xkcd.com/1174/

4. This post has been deleted by its author

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

If only it were some sort of hackery... this is advanced turd-polishing.

5. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Dear Google.....

...may I point you to your own abomination that is Google Calendar.

6. RyokuMas
    Facepalm

The UX angle...

"building, releasing, and maintaining native apps for both iOS and Android"

iOS users like their apps to looks like iOS apps. Android users like their apps to look like Android apps.

A web app is usually some nasty frankenstein thing that looks like neither and often requires a degree of "wtf?" to work out the differences between how it works and the native functionality of the device. And that's before needing some always-on connectivity.

Of course Google want us all using web apps instead of native - a few extra lines of javascript (the lack of which will probably have a negative impact on the web-app's discoverability) and presto! They can track the end user's every activity.

And as for separate native apps for each OS - have cross platform development tools been conveniently overlooked, or are we still in the dark ages here?

7. Christian Berger

Why don't they make they make a separate Web-App plattform?

Something like "VNC" or "RDP" which tries to separate the application logic from the GUI, with the GUI being controlled from a server you connect to. No more asynchronous mess trying to guess what session separate requests belong to, but a session defined in a simple and consistent way. While you are at it, you might as well fix client side certificate and use that for authentication. Transfer access to new devices via simple tokens, i.e. by using QR codes holding an URI.

HTML/CSS/JS never was meant for applications. It was always meant for quasi-static pages.

1. Mellipop

Re: Why don't they make they make a separate Web-App plattform?

I agree. Eventually there will be one. Interactive add-ons are a disaster.

Each mobile platform has its own way of describing the page and then its own way of updating the current display when things change.

Eventually we'll recognise HTML/XML to be the descriptor equivalent of a programming language without sub-routines, functions, or even gotos. How insane are we? There are better descriptor languages, even now. YAML has the descriptor equivalent of functions.

This kludging HTML is just the last deathroes of an irrelevant UI framework.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like