back to article Pixel 2 tinkerers force Google's hand: Secret custom silicon found

Previously Google has contracted major brand OEMs to produce Nexus and Pixel phones using fairly standard off-the-shelf parts. But a teardown of Google's pricey new flagship reveals the company's first homegrown system on a chip – and it's currently idle. Google yesterday went into a little detail on the chip, describing it as …

1. OffBeatMammal

wish they'd focus on power consumption in Android for their flagship phones... whatever else this elusive custom silicon does the only thing I care about is actually getting a phone that can survive a genuine day when I'm traveling, not need recharging every few hours. while I'm not a fan of iOS because of some of the restrictions/limitations (and clunky UX) I'll often find myself carrying my old testing iPhone SE in preference to my current Pixel to handle the battery anxiety issues!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

wish they'd focus on power consumption in Android for their flagship phones

I suspect that the reason they don't is because it would interfere with harvesting all your data in real time.. That's the only logical explanation in my mind for the much better battery life when you turn off mobile data.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Given that apple do the same harvesting, I guess that is why iPhone battery life is always so bad also?? Have you read Google and apples privacy policies and compared?? There is no difference, if anything, apple slightly worse.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@AC

Given that apple do the same harvesting

Your proof? Apple doesn't care about stealing all your personal information, because they make money off you when you buy the phone. Google gives Android away for free, as a way to push more eyeballs to the ads they sell. Totally different ways of making money, each very successful in their own way, but don't confuse the two.

Apple even shut down the ad network they ran (iAd) so if they did collect your personal information they literally don't have a way of making money off it - so what would be the point?

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: @AC

so if they did collect your personal information

So, Siri and Maps don't harvest?

Apple might not be in quite the same league yet as Google, but there's no doubt it would like to be able to monetise all that customer data it collects.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: @AC

"Apple doesn't care about stealing all your personal information, because they make money off you when you buy the phone."

Awww, that's nice of them, they have the opportunity to make money both ends, but because they are nice guys, they device not to monetise you.

Sad thing is, you really believe this..

https://www.apple.com/uk/legal/privacy/en-ww/

"Collection and Use of Personal Information

Personal information is data that can be used to identify or contact a single person. You may be asked to provide your personal information anytime you are in contact with Apple or an Apple affiliated company. Apple and its affiliates may share this personal information with each other and use it consistent with this Privacy Policy. They may also combine it with other information to provide and improve our products, services, content, and advertising. "

oooh look, ADVERTISING, Apple and it's unamed AFFILIATES.....

2. goldcd

I'm a pixel v1 owner

WTF are you doing to your phone?

Mine is bullet-proof as a "take off charge when I wake up and sees me through to sleep phone"

Not been near IOS for years, so can't compare - but I do love my Pixel (XL if that's the issue) for it's very boring efficiency.

Sure there are a couple of features I'd like it to have - but it gains my respect for having no weak points.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

My Xperia lasts nearly 2 days, so it's clearly nothing wrong with Android. Every phone is about balancing features and compromises. You are clearly being lured by some other phone property that affects battery, this is usually form factor..

My Xperia isn't the slimmest phone on the market, nor is it the fastest,. Buts it's long run time is best in class, and it's no slouch or fatty either.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

My Xperia lasts nearly 2 days, so it's clearly nothing wrong with Android.

OK. If you don't need minute-by-minute connectivity, and purely for the purposes of experimentation, try running it for a few days with mobile data turned off, other than when you need to use it. And turn it off when you've finished. See how that changes things. If the majority of your battery drain is call time and screen, you won't see that much difference. But if you see a worthwhile increase in battery life, then chances are that the incremental usage with mobile data on is pure slurping (whether by Android or installed apps).

IME as a very light user, I get approaching double the battery life with mobile data left off. I'm not suggesting that modus operandi works for you, merely inviting you to try it for a couple of days and see whether my experience stacks up on your handset.

1. Martin an gof Silver badge

try running it for a few days with mobile data turned off

My old first gen Moto G (jailbroken, all social media apps expunged) will easily last 7 days with WiFi, mobile data, GPS and Bluetooth off. I have been known to get 10 days out of it, though that's getting more difficult now that it's ageing.

Turning mobile data on doesn't make a huge difference unless I start using it. It's noticeable that if I do a bit of web browsing with Opera, even when finished battery consumption is greater than it was before I loaded Opera. The same is true if I use WiFi instead. In order to return the thing reliably to power-sipping mode, I not only have to turn the radios off, but reboot the thing.

M.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Turning off mobile data tends to make a difference to battery life if you are somewhere with a weak or patchy 3/4G signal. This was true with older Edge phones too, in the absence of any signal.

It is more to do with the phone using more power to get reception than it is data 'slurping'.

The Xperia phones last because their Stamina mode temporarily turns off data unless the screen is turned on - i.e you don't get email / WhatsApp etc notifications until you unlock your phone.

1. Martin an gof Silver badge

Turning off mobile data tends to make a difference to battery life if you are somewhere with a weak or patchy 3/4G signal

True, the 2G/3G/4G radio adapts its power output. That was part of my point, but the other part (that I didn't really expand) is that things like social media apps tend to cause the radios to wake up more often, or for longer.

On the other hand, is a smartphone still a smartphone if you turn off all the things that make it smart?

M.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

On the other hand, is a smartphone still a smartphone if you turn off all the things that make it smart?

Yes. My Chromebook is s till a Chromebook available to me even when it is shut down, my PC, my car, my TV....they're all still the same thing with the same capabilities available when I choose to use them, even if turned off, or with functionality deliberately limited for some reason of my choosing.

2. fuzzie

Stamina mode is also a great way to shut up naggy and chatty apps (read: facebook). I just whitelist the one or two apps by which I'm happy to be interrupted. Combined with managing the data roaming option, you can travel safely without anticipating ruinous charges when you get home.

2. fuzzie

Sony does have some major battery-fu that they've added to manage batteries, e.g. various Stamina modes, Qnovo battery life extender tech, and predictive charging in the latest handsets. Google's attempts seem limited to Doze, which had undone some of Sony's work and is not quite as good as the Stamina modes. I suspect Google doesn't like handsets that go too quiet.

4. juice

Why not...

just take a battery pack?

Personally/anecdotally, my S7 Edge comfortably lasts a full day, despite the fact that I use it as an ebook reader, VNC client, facebook time-waster, etc.

Things significantly improved with the most recent major update (Nougat), too - a lot of apps which were pointlessly sipping data in the background have been given a stiff talking to.

If your phone isn't lasting a full day, then either it's being hammered with call/data usage, or the battery is on it's way out!

2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Pixel... Err? but?

http://www.alphr.com/google/1007381/google-pixel-2-xl-review-oh-google-what-have-you-done

Sort of says it all really.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Interesting review. I'm using a dumb phone at the moment, but if I ever have the need for a smartphone again in the future, I've learned of a few things to check on (like Playing Now - that needs to be shut off).

3. James 51

Haven't used Android 8 yet but the multitasking on 6 and 7 is dire. For on device search, battery life, multitasking and lack of spyware my Q10 beats my S6.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The best phone money can buy, best camera

And a hardware chip that will soon be switched on to further extend that lead. Sound good. It's also significantly cheaper than an not iPhone too...

5. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Coat

Custom silicon of unknown purpose, made by Google. Hmm. 3 little words.

Intel Management Engine.

And 3 more

F**k right off.*

*Today it's Google brand phones. Tomorrow....

6. Charlie Clark Silver badge

I agree with Andrew that we're unlikely to see Google suddenly becoming a major new chip designer and maker. This kind of development is fully in line with the shift from the x86-based industry standard architecture, which meant you got whatever Intel decided you should have. The ARM world is all about core + customisation.

Google will no doubt continue to focus chip development in the server area where this can bring competitive advantage. I can imagine this leading to codec and AI silicon designs for mobile, if these means better use of Google services: hardware support for VP9 means keeping licensing costs at zero and the AI play is self-evident. And, of course, to make things even more interesting: Google has a habit of open sourcing stuff it's developed but does not plan to exploit commercially. As with the codec stuff and back with map/reduce, making this stuff publicly available can help contain costs.

7. whoseyourdaddy

Google not developing their own mobile chipset?

Whatever helps you sleep at night...

8. Triumphantape

Google makes me nervous

They tend to drop apps or services I like, so yes... lack of commitment is a valid concern with them.

I almost get the feeling they are just indulging hobbies.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like