back to article Look, look, we've done a driverless AI hype paper thingy, says Mobileye

Intel-owned Mobileye says it has cooked up a safety framework for fully autonomous, human-independent, driverless cars – and desperately wants people to notice this before the "inevitable fall" of public interest in driverless tech. In a formal paper written in August, Mobileye reckons its Responsibility Sensitive Safety model …

1. tiggity Silver badge

BMW

If they train their AI to drive anything like a typical wet-ware BMW driver then we know where the responsibility / blame will lie

1. teknopaul

Re: BMW

Software that automatically blames the other driver. That opinion is going to sell better than the skiis rack.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: BMW

The other option is that the AI drives with much more courtesy and consideration than the typical wet-ware BMW driver, leaving said driver fuming with frustration.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

From the PDF,

"Our system can validate three orders of magnitude improvement to one

traffic fatality for every one billion hours of driving vs. the human-driven vehicle rate of one traffic

fatality for every one million hours of driving"

I say Barnaby, it appears someone has been plucking numbers from the top of my magic made up number tree.

3. Mage Silver badge

Sensitive Safety model will magic away all the thorny problems

Only in the minds of Silly Valley Execs. Not in the real world!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Simple Solution

The problem of who is fiscally responsible has already been solved and I imagine the vehicle manufacturers will follow suit. They will absolve themselves of all responsibility in the Terms of Sale.

5. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Holmes

"the hype cycle..robots being able to run the world for humanity.collapsed in the 1980s "

And they are afraid the same could happen again?

As they should be. Results talk and bu***hit walks.

But speaking personally as some who's vested interest in this tech is precisely zero.

"Do I look like I'm giving a f**k? Do I look like I'm going to give a f**k if your wannabe future business goes down the sh**ter of history before it starts?"

6. Inventor of the Marmite Laser Silver badge

BMW

So no need for an indicators interface then

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Put Down The Phone

We've got driverless cars all over here, which is why accidents have gone up about 14% in two years.

8. ThatOne Silver badge
    Facepalm

I see what's coming...

> including an in-car camera system

"We couldn't help notice that you were poking your nose during the last 5 red lights. Might we suggest ACME Corp. nasal spray?"

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like