back to article Full-fibre ISP Hyperoptic clocked over mock doc schlock shock

Fibre ISP Hyperoptic has been slammed by the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) for releasing an advert that looked like an official contract from BT. The promotion was received by consumers in February 2017, and was addressed to the "resident". Text on the back page stated "Your BT CONTRACT is about to cost you even more …

1. Karlis 1

I miss hyperoptic. They were the bees gees in my flat in London. 800+u/d and 0.7ms pings to LIX. :(

1. Baldrickk

How good are they as an ISP?

I'll be moving next year, and they are one of the ISPs that I can use (fttp).

Advertising shenanigans aside, what is their service like?

2. Terry 6 Silver badge

February 2017

And now it's October. So for 8 months this has been able to run its scare tactics. And then, when it's run its course they stir themselves to ban it. Ho Hum. Another toothless watchdog then.

3. Kevin Johnston

Very specific challenge

I note that BT didn't challenge on the basis that the details were not correct about the continual price rises, just that it was too honest to be an advert

4. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Sending out a fake contract document looks like possibly more than just advertising naughtily. I'd send PC World around to sort them out.

5. Pen-y-gors

Sounds good.

Yep, full fibre at a price lower than BT? Where do I sign?

Hang on, what do you mean I can't? Is you just saying that cos I is rural, man?

6. Tim J

Hyperoptic have got a good product, they don't need to get in the gutter and play these marketing tricks.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like