back to article Software update turned my display and mouse upside-down, says user

Welcome again to On-Call, The Register's weekly wander through readers' recollections of tech support traumas. This week, meet “Alan” who once had a gig as “both sysadmin and developer in charge of an image analysis system linked to microscopes for analysis of bacteria in a University hospital.” “These systems consisted of a …

Page:

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Mushroom

It's always the same, isn't it?

If you so much as touch a computer then all the error dialogs that appear from then on appear with your name on them. No other details apart form your name though.

1. steve-b

Re: It's always the same, isn't it?

I like to call it the 'you touched it last' phenomenon

1. Andrew Moore

I installed a GPS re-radiator (a device for taking external GPS signals and re-broadcasting them indoors) in our office a couple of weeks ago. A few days after I installed it, one of the salesmen complained that the GPS kit he was working on wasn't able to get a satellite fix- he instantly moved to blaming the re-radiator even though I pointed out to him that the error message he was getting was nothing to do with the GPS signals. So he went and stood outside in the rain for half an hour. Eventually came back in swearing and saying that he still wasn't able to get a fix and it was all the re-radiators fault. I pointed out to him that the error message he was getting indicated that he had not set up the internet connection*. Cue dim light bulb above his head.

* Yes, I could have pointed this out to him before he went and stood in the rain, but he needed to learn a lesson.

1. john.jones.name

NTRIP

yes NTRIP what fun

https://john.jones.name

2. JulieM Silver badge

There is a Latin phrase, post hoc, ergo propter hoc -- after it, so because of it.

I like the thought that this means blaming the person who was last to touch something for whatever may be wrong with it is a tradition that goes all the way back to the Ancient Romans .....

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
          Coat

Even in 44AD, they were still blaming the Greeks.

1. J. R. Hartley

They invented gayness.

3. N2

Along with: "its never done this before" or "I can't do..."

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Stoneshop
        WTF?

This was the same computer room where the on-site engineer once saw a workman on a stepladder drilling holes in the concrete ceiling. The mainframe operators were apparently unconcerned that this was taking place by the active exchangeable disk drives - whose lids were now covered in debris.

A colleague of mine had a similar story, with the difference that the workman was standing on the glass lid of one of the drives. Several microseconds after being spotted, said workman was flat on his back on the floor, as Jamie had grabbed his belt and yanked him backwards. "Any pain and damage from that will be far less than that from having your legs chopped up by broken platters mixed with glass splinters spinning at 3600rpm."

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"The engineer interrupted the workman to explain that even a large particle of cigarette ash could cause the disk heads to crash. The workman heard him out - then happily resumed drilling."

Why wouldn't he carry on? He wasn't smoking.

3. Alan Brown Silver badge

" The workman heard him out - then happily resumed drilling."

I think I would have been telling the operators that they just voided the support contract and watching how fast things moved after that.

1. jake Silver badge

"He wasn't smoking."

A workman of that era drilling concrete not smoking?

Your sense of humo(u)r has untold depths, DrS ... Please carry on!

2. Ralph the Wonder Llama
    Happy

Every day's a school day

"“rotated the mouse 180 degrees, so the 'tail' could point away from her"

In all my time I've never heard this one before. Yay for Fridays.

1. ElReg!comments!Pierre

Re: Every day's a school day

In fact we have a person here on the team who uses the mouse "upside-down". That's how they were told to do many, many years ago and can't use it any other way. That's a bit weird to witness but they do seem to manage.

Also, the rotated camera is a classic. Formerly in charge of the imaging pool of a lab, that's something I witnessed too many times to count. Heck, that's even a trick I (and others) have used repeteadly to avoid (some) image post-processing. When you have a preferred orientation in mind and the imaged object seems to have a different idea in mind, rotating the camera so that all images are oriented the same way is often the best solution.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

" When you have a preferred orientation in mind and the imaged object seems to have a different idea in mind, rotating the camera so that all images are oriented the same way is often the best solution."

A microscope normally inverts the image compared. This means that when you move the specimen on the stage the image moves in the opposite direction. It's not difficult to get used to this, especially when using a mechanical stage. (I'm surprised the microscopist in the story had a problem with this.)

Cue using a microfiche reader. The lens is rotatable and has the same effect as rotating the camera in the story. If you put the fiche in the wrong way round so the text appears upside down you can just rotate the lens but then you have to move the fiche in the opposite direction to the way you want to move the image. Again, it's not difficult to adapt, at least I never found it so. But if the fiche was photographed to the writing is sideways on you have to rotate the lens a quarter turn; that fixes the image orientation but then sliding the fiche on one axis moves the image in the same direction whilst sliding it on the other axis moves it in the opposite direction.

2. DButch

When Digital Equipment Corporation released the VT100, one "feature" was that you could easily and with no tools pop the top off and (after certain precautions) rotate the magnetic yoke at the back of the tube to rotate the screen display.

3. Roopee Bronze badge
        Facepalm

I have a client who holds the mouse like that.

Also I sometimes have to tell clients to do that when they have inadvertently rotated the screen using whatever arcane keyboard shortcut Intel's awful GPU tray app uses, so they can open the app and rotate it back to normal.

2. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

"In all my time I've never heard this one before. "

me neither. Its the same ballpark as users using it as a footpedal , or using the cd tray as a coffee holder , but never heard of that one.

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

One user I had complained that "the footpedal" on her computer was difficult to use.

Sure enough, guess where the mouse was.

(That said, you _CAN_ get foot operated mice/trackballs and USB footpedals)

3. gannett
      FAIL

The notorious round "puc" mouse that Apple put out with G3s was an on going pain as it had no natural orientation in the hand. Oval and rectangular mouse at least have a natural n-s orientation. Round mice Fail

1. Ambivalous Crowboard

Re: The notorious round "puc" mouse

Ah... Even back in the olden days of Apple gear, people were holding it wrong...

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I do believe it as, a long time ago (while in uni), I used to teach IT introduction courses to secretaries and the like who would, for the most, be using a computer for the first time in that course. Well, lo and behold, once one of the trainees had _exactly_ the same problem with using the mouse. I didn't laugh though, as so many novice mistakes were made there that it was just par for the course (no pun intended). And it was for being patient that I got to be well regarded by trainees and asked to do several such courses.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"I used to teach IT introduction courses to secretaries and the like who would, for the most, be using a computer for the first time in that course."

A former acquaintance got a job working for the Civil Service back in the day of floppies and was sent on a "computer course". The instructor began by saying "Now this is mouth A and this is mouth B"...at which she held up her hand and announced "My husband is a computer scientist, can I go home and do this without the baby talk?"

2. DWRandolph

obligatory xkcd reference

https://xkcd.com/1053/

About not laughing when someone genuinely has not learned something yet. Instead treat them as one of today's lucky 10,000

3. Alan Brown Silver badge

"I didn't laugh though, as so many novice mistakes were made "

Yes, but I suspect the difference was that the user wasn't abusing you for making the mouse act funny.

5. Nick Kew

In all my time I've never heard this one before. Yay for Fridays.

It's perfectly natural. Maybe more so with some mice than others.

When I first took delivery of a mouse[1], I wondered why things moved the wrong way. Had I hooked it up wrong, or missed a setting? Oh, right, I'm supposed to hold it the other way round.

[1] From memory, 1987, with an Acorn Archimedes. None of the machines I used at work had yet acquired mice.

6. VinceH

"

"rotated the mouse 180 degrees, so the 'tail' could point away from her"

In all my time I've never heard this one before. Yay for Fridays."

I sort of have in that I encountered someone who decided that the mouse lead going towards the back of the desk was impractical. If it came towards the front, she figured she could take the mouse off the desk and put it on top of the PC (that was underneath) when not in use.

I pointed out to her how the mouse would work if she did that - but she only finally accepted what I said when she actually tried it, and promptly put it back how it was before.

7. Alister

I think I've posted before about one of our sales staff who went to do some in-house training for some of the software we produce.

She sat with one young lady who had a wireless mouse and keyboard, and consistently, over the duration of the training period, the client would grab her mouse upside down, and then try moving it, and clicking it, and then whinge about how "she's told IT about her mouse being broken loads of times, but they never fix it".

Our salesperson said she had to hold herself back from just snatching the mouse from the client and showing her how to use it, all through the training session. She said afterwards she was rehearsing in her mind the old question: "do you still have the box your PC came in?"

1. DButch

The setup line for an old classic. Bravo!

8. phuzz Silver badge

I have seen someone who picked up the mouse and held it on the screen in order to use it.

Apparently they couldn't get their head around moving something in a different plane to what it controlled.

9. Scott 53

I remember an advert in PC Plus in the mid 80s for an IT training company which showed someone using an Amstrad PC1512 mouse the wrong way round. Funny how things stick in your mind.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

If they had an Amstrad 1512, that would have been the least of their problems.

10. GX5000
      Boffin

Been thirty years this November...

At first I doubted that part but then a flood of "PC Coffee Tray" and the "Mouse is at the end of the carpet" memories came flooding back. I'd retire but then I'd have no reason to enjoy my time in here.

11. LionelB Silver badge

One thing I don't get about this: do these people have five thumbs and one opposable finger?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

do these people have five thumbs and one opposable finger?

There's always some people like this. But as a variation on the upside down screen, you can do that with many laptops (even when they are on a docking station with a proper keyboard and external monitor). CTRL ALT <down arrow> often flips the screen image through 180 degrees. An absolute joy when you find a machine somebody has walked away from without locking, if they don't know how to undo that.

1. J. Cook Silver badge

a number of desktops using the onboard intel video processor do that too; it's a fun prank to play on people.

2. phuzz Silver badge

"with many laptops [...] CTRL ALT <down arrow> often flips the screen image through 180 degrees"

That's a 'feature' of Intel graphics drivers back in the day across a whole different bunch of machines, desktops included. While I appreciate the functionality of being able to easily rotate the output, I wonder why they decided to have the hotkeys enabled by default because it's just easy enough to trigger that users can do it accidentally but never work out how to change it back.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

The "good news" is that if you connect to the PC/laptop remotely, the image is the right way up on your screen so easy to resolve- and then disable the hotkey.

I mention this, because even though you tell them over the phone what keys you need to press to resolve it, it "doesn't work, still upside down"

3. molletts

Ah yes, the Intel hotkeys. I had a setting in group policy to disable the entire hotkeys/tray icon thing on classroom PCs, of course, but didn't think it was necessary to do it on staff laptops... Until one senior teacher came in one Monday morning during the school holidays with his laptop screen turned through 90° by one of his tween/early-teen sons (who, to be fair, had probably done it by accident while playing a game or something - they were nice boys and would have fixed it for him had they known what to do) and had been struggling with using it that way since Friday evening!

On a similar note, I used to leave A3000 computers at school with negative mouse-speed settings... That, of course, simply inverted it and couldn't be saved to NVRAM (although you could save a ridiculously-fast setting).

3. Blotto Silver badge

Alan should have installed the proper user code, replace user 0.7 with 1.1.

Would have saved him at least 2 trips.

I do hope that users colleagues where in ear shot of all of that.

4. Andy00ff00

you touched it last

There's a more generic symptom at play, the "I can't be bothered to engage my own brain" syndrome.

1. Stoneshop
      Facepalm

Re: you touched it last

the "I can't be bothered to engage my own brain" syndrome.

Applicable only if they have one. I've met users whose cranial content must have been Grade A Swamp Mud.

2. DropBear

Also called the "not my problem, we have a guy for that" syndrome where people seem to actively forget how to even open a window if they reckon there might be someone they can goad into doing it for them. Often observed not only in office settings but also in households with at least one elderly relative.

1. Chunky Munky
        Devil

"not my problem, we have a guy for that" - oh how I can agree with that. The school I work at had an intake of new teachers at the start of September, most newly qualified & straight out of uni. One of them decided that the IT support dept (me) was there to do everything concerning IT. The classic was 'I need file 'x' moving from the Maths dept folder to the Temporary network folder by 2pm today (this was at 1:45). When I phoned him and asked what his problem was (I was thinking lost network connection on the laptop or mebbe the wireless was down???) I was told that 'moving files is IT's job, I'm a teacher so I teach, you're IT so do IT stuff!'

Needless to say the file got 'lost' in the move

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. DButch

Ouch - I was once told of a new QA inspector who insisted on 100% functional testing of the explosive bolts used to release the spent stage from the rest of the rocket. I hope it was apocryphal...

1. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Also called the "not my problem, we have a guy for that" syndrome where people seem to actively forget how to even open a window if they reckon there might be someone they can goad into doing it for them.

Or they can't be arsed to do it. The wife is like that, I'll be seated with my laptop, she'll be up and wandering about (closer to the kitchen than I am), and she'll head towards the bedroom and ask if I could get her a glass of icewater...

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like