back to article Beardy Branson chucks cash at His Muskiness' Hyperloop idea

Richard Branson, the billionaire behind the Virgin brand, has reportedly invested an undisclosed sum in Elon Musk’s barmy Hyperloop supersonic tube train project, seemingly competing with the billionaire ideas man's own firm. Beardy gets to join the Hyperloop One board, according to the Beeb, and the firm will also add its …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

While HS2 has been publicly sold as decreasing journey times (by a whopping 10 minutes between London and Birmingham), its main, and strangely undersold, benefit is creating extra capacity between the capital and major regional cities.

It does fuck all for those wanting to go from regional city to regional city though, worth a carrots dick to those wanting to go to Norwich (god knows why) or Cambridge from Manchester for example.

There's more to this country than London.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Given the fastest train route to Cambridge from Manchester is via London down the West Coast Mainline I think you'll find it's going to do quite a lot for someone making that particular journey!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

>Given the fastest train route to Cambridge from Manchester is via London

It wouldn't be if they reopened the Manchester, Buxton, Matlock and Midland Junction Railway.

You are making my point for me that you have to go in and out of London to achieve that.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. ukgnome

Norwich is a fine city - Although I do agree that it's not a first thought for a little trip out. Although now we have a Krispy Kreme and a 5-guys it is looking up.

1. Eddy Ito
        Trollface

Although now we have a Krispy Kreme and a 5-guys it is looking up.

Up and a bit more rounded about the middle perhaps.

3. Chris Miller

The West Coast Main Line, which HS2 will mostly duplicate, is at near full capacity during morning peak hours on its southern stretches

I call bollocks. The WCML is far from the most crowded of the lines into London. What 'independent' consultants showed was that if you cherry pick your data and forecast it forward for a decade and a half, you can show that there will be capacity issues. But if the purpose of HS2 is to relieve (potential, future) bottlenecks, there are far, far cheaper ways of doing this. They don't generate cushy non-executive directorships for retired politicians and civil servants, though.

When the history of the 21st century comes to be written, HS2 will feature in similar terms to the East Africa Groundnut Scheme.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Regional transport

Who says the hub would have to be in London? It isn't in the center of the UK, and if Hyperloop even happens, the LAST station to be built will be in London. Because whether it goes above ground or underground, all the permitting and construction would take a decade or two, optimistically. I mean, how long does it take to add a new Tube line from initial plan to opening, let alone if they wanted to add a new rail line?

If they built a hub in the middle of nowhere then it could be opened quickly, and since it would be mostly a transfer station with few people starting or ending their journeys there, it could be compact and easy to walk from one line to another. Having the hub in London means it is the termination of most journeys which adds a bunch of problems (not the least of which is security since anything is more of a terrorist target in London)

2. wolfetone Silver badge

"“Ever since our creation, Virgin has been known for disruption and investing in innovative companies,” burbled Beardy’s PR flunkies. "

"Ever since our creation, Virgin has been known for talking shite."

Fixed it for you.

1. Rameses Niblick the Third Kerplunk Kerplunk Whoops Where's My Thribble?

I wish I could make billions by doing nothing other than talking shite. Hell, I'd be rich already.

1. DropBear

That comes as a perk of making billions already, not the other way around. They absolutely do it though - if you want to feel old, look up when that x-prize winning run went down when they announced imminent suborbital rides...

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Virgin has been known for disruption

Truth in marketing !

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Main benefit of HS2?

If congestion is a problem on the southern WCML, then rather than fritter many tens of billions on a new train sets that's not even state of the art rail speed today, they should replace all Pendolino first class carriages with standard. At a stroke, 25% increase in the capacity of each Pendolino set, for the investment of buying and fitting a few seats. And if that's not enough, make better use of the Marylebone to Birmingham route that has plenty of capacity to relieve pressure on the WCML. Without touching the timetabling on that route it would be easy to double the length of the Chiltern Silver train sets, using the IC125 stock that will be retired from the GWR mainline soon, and double the number of train sets to replace the ageing 168 units.

1. Chris Miller

Re: Main benefit of HS2?

Chiltern trains are limited by the length of the platforms. They've been busy extending many stations, just to get from 6-car to 7-car trains.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Main benefit of HS2?

Chiltern trains are limited by the length of the platforms.

Since this is about relieving WCML pressure, its only a few stations you'd need to worry about. But I reckon most of the major stations could already (eg Banbury, Warwick Parkway) - I've seen them operating 12 car units under some circumstances. Even if you needed to extend every platform, it would still be a lot cheaper than £80bn waste being proposed for HS2.

4. scrubber

Journey time...

"do the journey between London and Edinburgh within 50 minutes"

The regular train could do it in 393m/125mph = a smidge over 3 hours if it didn't have to stop at stupid other places and slow down for other trains. Assuming the Hype-R-Loop has to stop, re-pressurize and depressurize to get going, how long will it take?

That's assuming they can get permission from landowners to build it above ground, keep cars from crashing into it and kids from puncturing it. Like all Virgin tubes, one prick will lead to a catastrophic collapse making it a worthless to those who like a smooth ride in safety.

1. Caff

Re: Journey time...

I think they plan to run them like ski gondalas, so each "train" would be able to divert off the main track to a loading/unloading mini loop.

1. Aladdin Sane

Re: one prick will lead to a catastrophic collapse

I think we need to have "The talk".

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: one prick will lead to a catastrophic collapse

Are we talking prolapse?

2. Warm Braw

the regular train could do it in 393m/125mph

If the line were entirely capable of 125mph working - which because of bends, junctions,clearances, etc, it isn't.

More to the point, the faster conventional trains go, the more headway is required - I'd be interested to know how many hyperloop pods they can have in flight at the same time

1. MachDiamond Silver badge

"More to the point, the faster conventional trains go, the more headway is required - I'd be interested to know how many hyperloop pods they can have in flight at the same time"

It might not matter. If the tickets are too dear, there won't be enough business on the line to support running the pumps to maintain a constant vacuum.

Anybody seen a projection on ticket prices vs ridership? If you need to take a train to a station outside of London to board a Hyperloop to traverse the distance to the next major hub, it better be at a price that is less than the airfare since the travel times might not be too dissimilar all in. What would be the cost to expand some right-of-way, equip it with premium track and be able to route express trains around stations that aren't used by that service? I expect that it would be cheaper than constructing a Hyperloop tunnel.

2. Stuart21551

"I'd be interested to know how many hyperloop pods they can have in flight at the same time"

Especially because being in a vacuum, there will be no gas buffer between one moving and one stopped.

Like TransRapid, HyperLoop will not survive it's first pink mist event.

3. Scmrrt

Why is it that so many crazy people are rich? Or is it that having all that money makes you crazy? 10 whole minutes, wow!

5. ukgnome

Hype errr loopy

This is not the next big thing.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Virgin?

Well, I guess this kind of tube will stay virgin for a long time, no matter how hard they try...

7. Scary Biscuits

If capacity is the main problem on the WCML, you don't need a high speed train to address that. You need a standard speed train because (a) it would cost probably less than a quarter of the price and (b) it would generate a lot more capacity and (c) give more route flexibility allowing many other journeys to rather than just ones to London. Track capacity halves for every doubling of speed (due to increased spacing required between the trains). Also, the WCML may be full but it is far from the most congested on the network. The Great Western line is more full as is the East Anglia line and customers in these places also have fewer alternative routes than northerners do. Finally, whilst Musk and Branson might not have the right answer, TGV trains from the 70s are hardly cutting edge technology. So why again are we building HS2?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Track capacity halves for every doubling of speed (due to increased spacing required between the trains).

If the rail industry would think, they'd have researched low speed, fully laden coupling, and decoupling at speed. You then run (say) a Manchester set out of the platform at Euston, follow immediately with a Glasgow set, join them without even stopping, run as a single train to MK, Rugby, or Crewe, and decouple on the approach to those. Underground trains can stop with an accuracy of about two inches relative to the platform (eg at Westminster and other "doored" platforms), so this precision is entirely feasible. You then need to sort that out with the antiquated block signalling, but that's hardly an insurmountable problem unless you're dim.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

government contracts for concepts that don't need to be profitable or useful

only thing here is seeing Branson wants some of that sweet, sweet government pork grant money.

other peoples money wasted on subsidizing something that costs even more than the overpriced train system it wants to replace.

But "research" into "green" or "sustainable" or even DARPA doesn't have to produce something taxpayers can actually use. It just has to meet certain goals while taking in as much funding from those grants AND the legalized pyramid scheme that "investment" in such companies usually becomes. Lots of important people will "cash out" early, and others will lose out.

Happened before many times, will happen again.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I fear Virgin Hyperloop will be as ill-fated a venture as Virgin Cola

And a helluva lot more expensive to boot!

Branson has more chance of spending 2 weeks on Mars courtesy of Virgin Galactic than he does of seeing a train-sized vacuum tube constructed between Edinburgh and London.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I fear Virgin Hyperloop will be as ill-fated a venture as Virgin Cola

Maybe Beardo doesn't care. He's throwing some cash at this, and he doesn't care if it gets built - the benefit is that he's now publicly mates with Elon the Great. Beardo is associated with a Jetsons train set. Beardo is thinking about the future, about the planet.

Like everything Branson does, it is just about self promotion.

10. Zmodem

elon is'nt great, he just takes an old idea and revamp's it with modern technology, when it comes to EM Drive on concordes and space shuttle's they are all too chicken shit, except for BAE System's

1. Commswonk

Congratulations; 4 incorrectly used apostrophes and a couple of missing capital letters in 3 lines.

If English isn't your first language then forgiveness might just be available.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

If English isn't your first language then forgiveness might just be available.

This dispensation is also be available to Merkins. But not Aussies, Kiwis, or Canucks, as you all know better. Well, apart from Maoris, Aboriginals, or other "indigenous peoples".

Québécois don't know better, but they get no dispensation on the grounds of being too French.

11. Aqua Marina

I thought that "The Virgin Ring" would have been a catchier name. It slips off the tongue easily.

12. rh587

The idea is that magnetic levitation suspends the carriages above the tracks

No it isn't. The idea is that it rides on air bearings - making use of the fact that it's very hard to maintain a total vacuum in a tube and using the small quantity of air to ride on.

Linear induction is used for propulsion out of the stations (after which it coasts through the near-vacuum), but that does not constitute mag-lev.

1. Mike007 Bronze badge

The biggest comparison with MagLev is that the reason we don't have MagLev is because a pair of iron rails is a hell of a lot cheaper. How many people will the cost of this line be spread over? (Construction Costs + Operating Costs / Capacity = a ticket price that makes Concorde look like a budget flight?)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

because a pair of iron rails is a hell of a lot cheaper.

If done properly. HS2 has been reported as costing over £400m per mile. For the 140m between London and Brum, that's £56bn (before the inevitable overspend). Assuming that we call interest at a mere 3%, and recover the depreciation over 50 years, that requires repayments of £2.1bn a year, Even if the London to Brum cost were recovered across all WCML intercity traffic (Virgin WC) of c10m journeys, that's an AVERAGE fare of £210.

Ignoring the pretend economics of HS2 traffic, extrapolate those costs to Hyperloop. Lets say it is only 50% more expensive, and we're looking at over £300 average fare, and that's for the busy bit between London and Birmingham. The remaining 250 miles to Glasgow, including the difficult geography north of Crewe is going to cost twice as much as a minimum, over the same number of journeys then your average fare is going to be in excess of £900. Obviously they'd try and match fares to journey length, but that means lower fares London-Brum, higher fares north of that - and on lower passenger volumes.

I think we can already say that this will never work financially.

1. Jellied Eel Silver badge

Financial engineering!

But.. build it, and they will come! Pork fanciers that is. Both UK HS2 and California's HSR suffer from much the same problem, ie wishful thinking and cost. If you're on the winning side, that £2.1bn in interest is a nice side of bacon. But that bit could be zeroed if the state just paid for it. Instead, we do the QE thing and print money so banks can lend it back & make a 3% profit. California's perhaps less restricted by EU state aid rules & could issue munis to fund infrastructure, but would then have to pay interest, and a lot of US states are waking up to their pensions time bomb. And California's rail link is even more expensive than HS2..

But that's politics. Politicians try to justify cost based on 'public good' from new services. Quicker trips London-Birmingham or LA-SF. Woo and Yey! Metro economies will be boosted.. But those benefits don't help anyone looking at eye watering ticket or freight prices.. Which means they won't get used as much, ie anyone who's looked at Virgin's fares quickly realises it's cheaper to drive or fly, which means road congestion.

California's maybe a bit different, ie cost of property in LA or SF is eye-watering, so longer commutes and more traffic on and around the I5. Plus extra traffic from home deliveries, and additional wear & tear from 2-ton Teslas. More freight could probably be shipped by sea along the West Coast, but that can be expensive given union control over the ports. Rather than billion dollar boondoggles like the HypeLoop, states would be better off investing in the dreaded multi-modal transport model to better redistribute passengers and freight. HypeLoop won't help with that if it's a dumb P2P pipe with very limited capacity. Conventional rail works better if there's a combo of stopping, express and freight services.

2. Jellied Eel Silver badge

It's the Brand, son.

The idea is bonkers, unless you're hoping for a large slice of government pork. California announces it wants a faster rail link from LA to SF, businesses line up at the trough. As for air..

In Musk's original Hyperloop concept, an electrically driven inlet fan and air compressor would be placed at the nose of the capsule to "actively transfer high-pressure air from the front to the rear of the vessel,"

.. Which is why 'artists impressions' show turbine blades at the rear of the 'pods'. Except being near vacuum, it'll be low pressure air outside the pod. So it'll use rail gu.. I mean linear induction motors for most of the propulsion. Pod people will coast along in comfort, unless the cushion fails. Or there's a kink or snag due to quakes, expansion or sabotage. Implosion, explosion or just stuck. Risk of that might be high given suggestions that the HypeLoop will have a very low operating cost. Which is unlikely if it's routed along the I5 median, or underground.

Then there are other tricky issues like the cost. Not only design and construction, but also per pod. Concept art shows single containers in the cargo pods and small numbers of passengers in the suici.. I mean people pods. So they'll need to be loaded/unloaded safely at costs comparable to existing passenger & freight rates. And the I5 carries a lot of freight. Which is part of the California politics. Roads are falling apart and in dire need of maintenance. A high capacity rail link might take some of the pressure off, or just end up being a very expensive white elephant. If you're spending other people's money, that's not a problem.

1. MachDiamond Silver badge

Re: It's the Brand, son.

"California announces it wants a faster rail link from LA to SF, businesses line up at the trough."

The measure as approved by the voters mandated that the HSR project would be a public-private partnership but no private company saw any hope of turning a profit on the project and kept out. The State then decided that it would be great anyway (just a herd of failed, tech-illiterate lawyers) and started handing out billions of dollars it doesn't have to consultants, union reps and a few contractors to begin putting in tracks in the places they have been able to get permission for. Those bits of concrete could wind up being modern Follies.

One person posted some math that showed that for the money estimated to build the HSR, the state could buy every existing traveler between LA and SF a free ticket for at least the next 18 years and still come out way ahead.

13. This post has been deleted by its author

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Isn't this what he does with all the things he invests in?...namely stick the Virgin name on something...but get all his investment back in name licencing fees.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

stick the Virgin name on something...but get all his investment back in name licencing fees.

Lucky he didn't call his outfit BeardedBellEnd, that might not have been so lucrative, even if more accurate.

"The train approaching platform 6 is the late running 17:05 BeardedBellEnd Trains service to Manchester Piccadilly, calling at Milton Keynes Central, Crewe, Macclesfield and some other shite place."

15. dank_army

Well done Branson

If he is investing to bring this tech to the UK then this is amazing. It's exactly what this country needs - something completely bonkers - countries around the world will be talking about this for years. Think about the PR opportunities for the UK.

Perfectly timed for post-brexit - because frankly we're fucked - and anything which keeps the world talking about us cannot be a bad thing. Forget the HS2 (yawn)

1. Stuart21551

Re: Well done Branson

"anything which keeps the world talking about us cannot be a bad thing"

But the world can't stop talking about the US - & the cause is a bad thing -

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ah yes, the Hyperloop. A rusty tube that doesn't appear to be a fully sealed vacuum. Occasionally, student engineers are invited to propose designs for a competition that, if they enter them, automatically forfeit all IP rights over if they turn out to be successful.

Hyperloop - vacuous, unfeasible with highly polished marketing. Truly, a thing of the times

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ugh, embiggen, perfectly horrible word.

with apologies to Monty Python.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like