back to article Crappy upload speeds a thing of the past in fresh broadband 'net spec

It's become so common that it virtually defines current internet usage: fast download speeds and relatively slow uploads. That model in which we all consume other people's content but only occasionally put something back has been increasingly under pressure with the explosion of social media and video sharing websites, not to …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Great

Another excuse for those thieves at Virginmedia to hike their already extortionate prices.

1. Mark 110

Re: Great

I just wish I was still in a VM area and not stuck with fucking shite ADSL :-(

1. rh587

I just wish I was still in a VM area and not stuck with fucking shite ADSL :-(

It wouldn't do you any good.

We tried to get VM for an office move. Contacted them 8 weeks in advance of the move, knew there was cable into the unit.

Then nothing. Chased every couple of days, apparently one department always waiting on another.

We opened a VDSL order, suspecting that VM were not going to deliver. The day after we moved we got a call asking us to confirm whether we would like to place the order for VM. We confirmed that 6 weeks ago and you sat on your hands. They even sent us the same order confirmation they'd sent us 6 weeks previous.

Incompetent wastes of oxygen.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No...you've got it wrong.

It will be a completely free upgrade!

The 10% price hike 3 months later is just a coincidence and completely unrelated.

1. Anonymous Custard
        Mushroom

Given how much Vermin Media must be spending on their glossy spam brochures and suchlike that drop unsolicited through my letterbox at least once a week trying to entrap me into taking their services, I'm not surprised they're having to get stupid on the pricing.

So it's a self-defeating cycle of course as I'm never going to take them, and given they've ignored any attempt previously to get them to stop filling my recycle bin with their junkmail I've certainly got no inclination to fall for their spiel...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That's nice but I'm holding out for 1.21 gigawatts.

1. ukgnome

About as much chance as being struck by lightning!

1. Ragarath

No!

Surely you mean 1.21 Jigawatts?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I've got 200mbs from Virgin Media, that costs an arm and leg... Will I have to hacked into small chunks and served as an appetiser for 10gbs?

4. The_IT_MD

Just need BT...

... to get involved and everything will be fine.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Going up to 1800 MHz?

That puts rather limits the distance of the subscriber from the fiber node, since the higher frequency the greater the loss.

I'll bet we never see this from a major cable company sold to residential customers. It'll be sold exclusively to businesses because it is cheaper than running fiber all the way to their premises - but they'll still charge the very high prices they charge for gigabit or better symmetric service despite those savings!

1. Tomato42
      Trollface

Re: Going up to 1800 MHz?

Probably right, for the US market.

Romania and South Korea will keep on laughing at them though.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Data Caps?

Wow, I can breach my data cap in less that 20 minutes. What do I do for the rest of the month?

1. Martin Summers Silver badge

Re: Data Caps?

Buy magazines or DVD's of it instead?

2. TonyMorehen

20 minutes? By then the data caps will be 10GB!

1. kain preacher

Yeah right . Some ISP give you MBP down but 1GBP cap.

1. Anonymous Custard
          Trollface

At least this way you'll be able to break your data cap in both directions...

7. Myvekk

I'm just holding out for the day I can reliably break 10Mbps...

8. wyatt

Sounds great, no one would ever want to stop R+D developing new methods and increasing throughput. Line speed is great until there isn't the bandwidth somewhere to support it (bottleneck). What does this new speed support/provide access to that isn't already available? Is it internet delivered video or something else that provides an income to the network provider/maintainer?

9. jms222

Except for mobile

giffgaff mobile data download can be awful but upload screams along at maybe 10Mb/s but best not talk about everything else.

1. F Seiler

Re: Except for mobile

Last time i saw something called "mobile" with coax plugs was in military, and we didn't run DOCSIS on it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon