back to article Avaya thinks it's found a new voice, by singing the same old song

“Avaya”, the company's newly-minted CEO Jim Chirico tells The Register, is “a company that promises solutions for what the customers demand we need to be.” The company used to be easier to understand: a heritage in carrier-grade comms gear and PABXs made moves into the contact centre, IP telephony and unified comms (UC) …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Here try this...

..stop trying to gouge people for every single license that many give away for free.

Integrate your products better, so they are not a kludge of sort of works together solutions (Windows sysadmins, think of them as the Symantec of the PBX world)

Stop telling people "this is best" when it's not...seriously guys a conference system that doesn't announce people coming in, because you know you can use an app.

Get you CDR data up to spec, seriously, I've seen freeware with better logging.

I could go on for hours.

1. CJatCTi

£6000 or we end support

Avaya customer came to me as their current support company had just told them

"Avaya IP Office have replaced their current contact center software with one that does less and you have to upgrade to it as support for last years version ends in 6 weeks. Give us £6,000 to "upgrade" or we will stop supporting your system."

Avaya charges resellers for each customer they have or they can't get bug fixes

Avaya have upset the channel that much that we are all happy to have a reason not to sell their kit.

I agree with the editor of Comms Business when he predicted that 3 years after Avaya gets out of chapter 11 they will cease to be.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Encrypted your...

...user database and the passwords, otherwise once someone breaches a persons Avaya server, they have access to the whole database where the user names and passwords are stored in plan text. Why is this an issue? Because some people use the same Avaya password as their domain account password, along with the user name.

Fix your contact centre software so it's not using 3rd party code from 2000.

And cloud isn't everything. Your setup is more reliable if you have a PBX inhouse as well as the cloud setup. Your current cloud setup is piss poor and unreliable.

3. Salestard

Well intentioned, but...

Well he's saying the right things, but we've been here before with others.

Sorry to say Avaya was already a lame duck before C11 (which is why C11 happened) for the reasons highlighted by previous commentards. The whole Radvision/Scopia piece kinda worked, but looked incomplete next to the competition.

Problem for them now is the market is so fast and commoditised that by the time they've struggled out of C11 they're going to be so far behind everything else nobody will look at it.

4. paulf
    WTF?

Wait, what?

"The second will see it soon productise a practice currently led by “client principles” who build bespoke applications around Avaya's contact centre and unified communications platforms."

Am I alone in wondering WTAF that meant?

And when was "To Product" a verb? Surely you mean "To provide" or "To produce"?

Edit: I've just noticed this further down in the article, "['Edictive' may not be an actual word. Chirico used it to mean a top-down decision-making style – Ed].". I understand you have to wind back the usual snarky to get these interviews but this guy is CEO (of a communications company!) and you've let him get away with apparently making up random meaningless words."

5. Mark 110

"you've let him get away with apparently making up random meaningless words"

logorrhea

bloviate

blatherskite

pleonast

[Sorry - bored]

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Everything I Need to Know About Avaya I Learned From Using Their Products

Dialing in to get your voicemail:

Enter your PIN and press # - Fine

To listen to you messages, press 2 - Not 1... 2. Pressing 1 allows you to send messages. Really?

In your voicemail queue, to listen to your messages, press 0 - Not 1... 0. WTF.

Done with the voicemail you just listened to? To delete, press *D - W! T! F!

No voicemail would be better.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

lousy company

Avaya is a posterboy for what happens when you treat your engineers like shit.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like