back to article Rejecting Sonos' private data slurp basically bricks bloke's boombox

In August, when wireless speaker maker Sonos decided to update its privacy policy to allow it to gather more data on its customers from their devices, it characterized the consequences of refusing to accept the change as being left out of future feature upgrades. Sonos' policy change, outlined by chief legal officer Craig …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

About as clear a GDPR violation as you can get, shirley? Stick the German ICO on them.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

GDPR isn't in force yet. You're right though, they are asking for trouble as they can't even identify who accepts the privacy terms so any and all PII collected will be illegally obtained. The Sonos seems to collect a lot too.

Seems like good sport to get a 4 year old to accept and upgrade then sue the pants off them for listening to your house and uploading recordings. Wouldn't even have to ask the child, they'd be led to accept terms just by trying to listen to a song in the new app which won't play until the upgrade happens.

1. frank ly

"... get a 4 year old to accept and upgrade then sue the pants off them ..."

A child is legally incapable of entering into any contract or binding agreement.

1. Kevin Fairhurst

I do believe that was the point... your child may not be able to agree to the terms, but they are capable of clicking “ok” buttons to get things working again...

1. big_D Silver badge

Exactly, Kevin.

We had a similar case, an underage child had taken out a subscription by listening to free material (a typical scam in the late 2000s, you offer something, E.g. a tune, for free and with blue text on a blue background you say that by clicking on the download button you are agreeing to a 50€ a month subscription) and a lawyer sent a letter asking for payment. A return letter from our lawyer, pointing out that a 12 year old cannot enter into such a contract, ended the matter.

1. JimboSmith Silver badge

E.g. a tune, for free and with blue text on a blue background you say that by clicking on the download button you are agreeing to a 50€ a month subscription) and a lawyer sent a letter asking for payment. A return letter from our lawyer, pointing out that a 12 year old cannot enter into such a contract, ended the matter.

Had a friend who was duped into signing up for something that I charitably described as a scam where the cancellation process involved sending a fax. She had signed up for a sample of a product with the terms and conditions written in the smallest font size/closest colour to the background they could get away with. Despite only thinking she was paying a small amount for shipping of the trial she'd signed up to £50 a month in product (teeth whitening kit) that she didn't want. When I found out we called the number listed on the website only to be told that the first months product was already waiting to be shipped and the trial started when you signed up not when you got the product. Yes we could cancel but only in writing and they didn't take email, we could fax or write to them. I told her to just cancel the card she'd used telling the card company that she thought someone else might have the details.

She initially said she wouldn't bother and I said I wasn't going to let her go home unless she did it. I said if you don't they can legally take money from you card each month. She then cancelled it because "it seems like you might know what you're talking about". Next day she called me and said she'd worked it out last night in bed that it was £600 a year they could nick from her. She only lost £50 but it was a good lesson in reading the small print. When the sample and first months product arrived apparently they were so tiny it wasn't worth bothering with.

2. Jonathan 27

My cat accepts all the EULAs for me. He just loves walking over the keys on the keyboard so all I need to do is just put it on the floor and within a few minutes, bam, he's hit the right key. At least most of the time.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. big_D Silver badge

It doesn't need GDPR, it would still be illegal under current German DP laws.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"It doesn't need GDPR, it would still be illegal under current German DP laws."

Yeah but if we wait six months we get to give them a real fine instead of a €40k slap on the wrist.

3. Ian Michael Gumby
      Boffin

@AC Definitely a lawsuit waiting to happen...

There are two issues at play...

1) SONOS clearly wants to remain relevant and compete with Amazon, therefore they are attempting to morph their speakers in to a new product that you already have in your home.

2) Metadata capture is a way to further gain value from you. Your data has value and they can then use it to help identify information that they can sell/rent to advertising agencies.

3) A future product... adding adverts to the streams... ;-) (Think about that one for a second....)

But all of this comes at a risk.

If they don't provide security and protect the information that they capture... they will be sued in to oblivion. .

We can look at half a dozen major financial companies that have taken multi-billion dollar hits over data breaches and the impact to their bottom line.

As many have already put out there... there are other solutions like blue tooth speakers, or I'd prefer actual wires. My old Adcom had A/B unfortunately after 20 year... it died and it was cheaper to replace it with an A/V receiver which had the same thing, which again died and replaced it with a new A/V receiver which I keep in my office with a nice pair of wired bookshelf speakers. ( Vienna Acoustics that I picked up on sale at a steep discount because the stereo store was closing and they were floor models. )

So I'll pass on Sonos and wait for the lawsuit that is definitely coming to a courtroom near you. ;-)

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Start writing your Data Access Requests

And send them on May 28th 2018. That's the beauty of the GDPR, protection of personal data is a Right for European citizens and it leverages the game.

1. RegGuy1 Silver badge
        FAIL

The beauty of the GDPR: protection of personal data is a Right for European citizens

That's the UK fucked then.

1. Rhospid

Re: The beauty of the GDPR: protection of personal data is a Right for European citizens

Thankfully UK gov has confirmed they will fully implement GDPR.

1. Mark 65

Re: The beauty of the GDPR: protection of personal data is a Right for European citizens

Thankfully UK gov has confirmed they will fully implement GDPR.

and likely waive the fines

2. hitmouse

Re: "Fall Creators Update"

Issues have been raised with Sonos in years past that guests on your network can force updates that create incompatibilities with other users and firmware. There is no admin role that gates local updates.

Sonos software will also pester you with update reminders when you're trying to use your device until you finally give in.

1. Mark 110

Agree on point 1. Point 2 - isn't that everything ever thats need to be updated, I would rather be reminded than not. Its not like theres nothing good in the updates and they onl;y take a couple of minutes.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon
        Mushroom

Except when the software refuses to work without the update, yet the update won't install on your device (such as a dedicated iPod for controlling your Sonos for example) because they now require a level of IOS that your device can no longer be upgraded to.

It's a speaker app, not Doom 4 ffs.

2. Randy Hudson

"Sonos software will also pester you with update reminders when you're trying to use your device until you finally give in."

So, just like iOS.

3. Cynical Observer

Crap like this...

...reaffirms my belief that picking a simple Bluetooth speaker with half decent sound quality was probably the right decision in the long run. Yes it may be limited in functionality compared to the Sonos - but it's a damn sight cheaper and will continue to function quite happily for many years - at least until the Bluetooth specs deviate wildly at some future date.

1. Mark 110

Re: Crap like this...

The big advantage with Sonos is the multiroom synchronised sound. If you don't need that you are absolutely better off with standalone systems.

1. big_D Silver badge

Hmm, the A/B button on my 1970s hi-fi did the same thing...

1. What? Me worry?

Yup, harmon/kardon 730 Twin Powered speaker A/B push button, as does my AV receiver from around 2002 and probably practically any other decent receiver from who knows how far back. Bang & Olufsen were really big in their adverts from eighties or so in promoting this. I remember they had an advert with a Beolab speaker shown mounted over the doorway to a kitchen so that you could listen to the Beovision in living room, over in the kitchen. Which, I thought was the coolest party trick ever, and then I found out how much B&O systems cost! :)

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Which, I thought was the coolest party trick ever, and then I found out how much B&O systems cost!"

The coolest party trick ever was getting people to pay their prices.

2. eldakka

When I was a kid in the 70's, my fathers receiver had A/B, and it was 15 years old then...

2. Blitheringeejit
          Megaphone

My volume knob goes up to 11, and with my modest 125dB speakers, it all works beautifully as a multi-room system. Even the neighbours get the benefit!

Icon, obviously -----------------------------------------------------------------------------^

2. Cynical Observer
        Trollface

@Mark 110

Given the way the teenagers hide out - we don't need that. For some reason they seem to think that my taste in music leaves a lot to be desired.

3. Lusty

"The big advantage with Sonos WAS the multiroom synchronised sound. "

There, fixed that for you. That's not been a USP for years, and frankly the way Sonos abuse your wifi network is archaic. They don't even support devices on differing SSIDs on the same network!

1. EvadS

Must be something wrong with your setup then, I have 2 Sonos on different SSIDs on the same network and can control and access them both just fine whichever SSID I am connected to on the controlling app

4. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse

Not necessarily. My Yamaha network stereo amp has their Musicast system that works seamlessly and perfectly all over my house with music synchronised to all end speakers, or I can route or stream different music and/or sources to different rooms using the app.

With the amp and 3 endpoints it still cost 1/2 the price of the equivalent Sonos, with much more flexibility and functionality.

5. GruntyMcPugh Silver badge

You can get synched multiroom a few ways, Chromecast Audio, or there's Airfoil on a PC or Mac, it's something I keep toying with, and never quite getting around to, like building a mezzanine level in my Summer house and attaching a projector to the underside.....

1. fidodogbreath

You can get synched multiroom a few ways, Chromecast Audio

If you're concerned about exfiltration of private data, then Google products are probably not your best choice.

6. Chrissy

I can get multi-room synchronised sound for about £5..... a pair of headphones.

7. Kiwi
        Holmes

The big advantage with Sonos is the multiroom synchronised sound.

I've done that in a couple of ways..

1) The volume control. Till the neighbours complained anyway.

2) A cheap FM transmitter, with stereos in other rooms being tuned in.

No need for a company to be able to slurp my private date etc for that. For that matter, no need to spend more than a tenner...

2. tin 2

"simple Bluetooth speaker with half decent sound quality was probably the right decision in the long run"

probably the app you're using to drive the bluetooth speaker is leaking the same information though.

1. Cynical Observer

@tin 2

Doubt it.

The App was discontinued by its original authors when they sold it. The new authors never successfully brought the "New Super Revised Improved Version" to market.

The installed version (on my and the other's devices) was installed from an APK and the permissions were subsequently stripped.

To use your words from another post in this thread ...

Also means that nobody thought to put in a billion lines of every-movement code by then so we're good :)

3. jj_0

Logitech Squeezecenter

Is sufficiently Sonos-like (has synchronisation, does Spotify, Internet radio, local music collection). The server software (runs on various NAS, Pi & alikes etc) is still mainatined. The player devices need to be sourced on eBay though (Squuezebox Radio, Boom, Player) or 'handbuilt' form Pi/alikes + DAC + speakers.

1. DontFeedTheTrolls
        Go

Re: Logitech Squeezecenter

I wish someone would take on development again of (Logitech) Squeezecenter and SqueezeBox, it worked brilliantly.

I still don't understand why Logitech killed it off, something I suspect they are going to regret as the IoT market explodes and they're left behind.

1. Lloyd

Yep, I've got 3 squeezebox radios and a squeezebox controller/receiver on my stereo, all running off an HP microserver running squeezebox server, it's been like that for 10 years or so, not a problem so far.

1. thegambles

I also took the Slimdevices / Squeezebox route a long time ago with many hundreds of CDs stored in FLAC (and Apple Lossless for those stupid devices) on a couple of servers at home (Heavily upgraded MediaSmart and a QNAP TS-453A). I was very sad that they discontinued them. I still have a pre-logitech Slim Devices Squeezebox, One of the LCD touch screen ones and two Booms. The biggest issue with them is frankly something unforgivable that has happened with many other things including £300 Philips shavers - the rubberised finish on the remotes and Booms has de-vulvanised making them sticky and prone to collecting dust. They must have selected cheap / untested rubbers which breaks down over a relatively short life. The hardware should be fine for many years to come. I also understand that some have had problems with the Boom speakers with separating cones - again a clear manufacturing fault. As a result the Booms have now been locked away and replaced with the HEOS7s. Unacceptable really.

I have since upgraded my Denon (largely to support 4K and DV) to a 4400 which has HEOS support. That works well and I've added to HEOS7s to other rooms. I can either control everything from the Amp or each speaker from the HEOS App. The kids connect over BT, and I use WiFi / ethernet to stream the same FLAC files to the speaker. Works great and has no privacy issues I've seen so far. The audio is at the high end of what Sonos deliver - some would say better.

2. BenDwire Silver badge

Google "piCorePlayer" and you'll find an excellent project that emulates a Squeezebox player. Audio out on the HDMI port stuck straight into the AV amp, and even shows what's being played on the telly. Admittedly the low accuracy clock on the Pi sometimes drifts when synced up to several players, but for just a £30 outlay I can put up with that.

3. thegambles

I still run SqueezeCenter on a MediaSmart with a backup on a new QNAP VM in case the former fails to support my two Squeezebox Booms, one Touch and one original Squeezebox. They run beautifully with Flak lossless and provide good TuneIn integration.

I do have to be honest though, they sometimes drop off the network for no good reason and the UI is less than perfect. My wife now has an Echo Dot connected to her Kitchen Boom with Line In always enabled so she can more reliably listen to Radio 4 Extra.

Paul

4. This post has been deleted by its author

1. JimboSmith Silver badge

Yeah I have a bluetooth speaker and a Hifi adapter that allows me to use a something as basic as feature phone to play music. Yes it's somewhat limited in terms of features but it works.

Friends have a load of these to do multiroom. They've got a bigger house than me whereas in mine the bluetooth signal reaches the entire house it doesn't in theirs.

5. Madeye

Too damn right. For the price of a Sonos you can buy a bluetooth receiver, old school analogue amp/speakers and a cheap Chinese tablet to control it all with money left over to cover a Spotify Premium subscription.

4. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Mark 85
      Meh

Which makes the point that "new", "shiny", and "connected" isn't always the best. Much like light bulbs, door bells, etc.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Best" - but for who?

" "new", "shiny", and "connected" isn't always the best. "

It may not be the best in terms of the interests of the people paying for and using it.

But without these Interweb of Tat and related shiny products and secret services, what would Tomorrow's World (or modern equivalent) be writing/vlogging/etc about? What would the marketing communications people, the product+service evangelists, and so on, do all day to earn a crust?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Connected?

Good luck with your unconnected light bulb.

1. Peter2 Silver badge

Re: Connected?

Good luck with your unconnected light bulb.

Unconnected to data? That's standard. No internet of things at home for me, thanks.

Unconnected to the mains? That's a torch.

Personally, at the end of the day when I get home I don't want a bunch of bleeding edge equipment that I have to spend the evening debugging. I just want nice reliable equipment that >WORKS<.

If that means some of it (especially speakers) is ten years older than me, then so be it.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like