back to article OpenEBS v0.4 is live, uses Google container scheduling tech

Multi-app enterprise storage startup CloudByte has announced v0.4 of OpenEBS, hyperconverged block storage for stateful applications on the Kubernetes platform. OpenEBS is container-native, open-source storage software taht's sponsored by the startup. In January we wrote: "OpenEBS is containerised storage which, via its also …

1. Pete 2 Silver badge

But what does it do?

In January we wrote: "OpenEBS is containerised storage which, via its also open-source Maya orchestrator, provides the ability to tier the storage to S3-compatible storage with intelligent caching. OpenEBS has snapshotting, replication, high availability, and backup to S3 features."

It is available under the Apache 2 licence.

Kiran Mova, CloudsByte engineering VP, wrote of the new version: "OpenEBS delivers container-native storage by using Kubernetes (as opposed to running on Kubernetes) itself as the underlying framework for scheduling and storing configuration data.

So basically it's just some sort of online storage thing?

I have a feeling that an inability to express its function in simple terms, or to explain why a company would want whatever (unexplained) benefits this thing offers, is not going to make it into a roaring success.

1. JSTY

Re: But what does it do?

Given a load of servers running Kubernetes (a container orchestrator) that have locally-attached storage, it uses said local storage to create a set of network block storage devices (accessible via eg. iSCSI).

There's nothing particularly magic in the approach as far as I can see, and there's a few open source options that can do such (eg. Ceph) as well as your enterprise-friendly $$$ storage vendors. The former (and a lot of the latter) have some quite interesting corner cases in terms of operability, so if they can file off a few of those it might be worth a peek.

As with all things storage / database wise, such things are best watched from a distance until the sharp edges have cut someone else first.

2. Alan Sharkey

Help, I'm drowning

I'm losing the will to live trying to keep track of all these startups with subtly different offerings. Is anyone keeping a register of who does what and to whom and with what?

Frankly, I don't know how anyone can work out what is best for their business.

Alan

3. Epowel101

Different architecture and benefits

Containerizing the controller itself is different. Instead of 1k workloads from many many containers for e.g. being served by one storage system, imagine 1k containerized storage controllers that follow those workloads.

Benefits include: far greater granularity; far smaller blast radius; no special skills needed - once u know kubernetes that is :)

Can run logically on top of CEPH which is a centralized scale out storage system.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like