back to article Blade Runner 2049 review: Scott's vision versus Villeneuve's skill

Stepping into the cinema to watch Blade Runner 2049 was a nervous moment; after The Phantom Menace and Prometheus, was another studio about to take a steaming dump on a pivotal film of my youth? The omens were good. Director Denis Villeneuve gave us probably the best sci-fi film of last year in Arrival and his previous film, …

Page:

1. Toltec

This could make me visit the cinema

I haven't bothered for years, nothing has seemed worth it.

Of course if I do and the film is bad I may have to track you down and kill you.

1. Mark 110

Re: This could make me visit the cinema

Oh bugger - nearly didn't read this in case it was bad. I have yet to read a vaguely critical review. Been trying to manage my expectations, but now El Vulture likes it thats completely out the window.

Anyway - lets just hope the iMax in Manchester doesn't burn down before Sunday afternoon . . .

2. Martyn 1

I'm off to see it at the IMAX with some mates, the reviews all seem consistently good so I have high hopes.

Just gotta decide which DVD version of the original I'm gonna watch again beforehand.

1. Les Matthew

"Just gotta decide which DVD version of the original I'm gonna watch again beforehand."

The Final Cut.

1. Danny 14

so 10 years away for the final cut to be released?

2. Philip Lewis

Tonight I will be watching "Blade Runner: Final Cut" to set the mood. Tomorrow a trip to the cinema.

Is the iMax version worth the extra effort?

2. Caustic Soda

The Pan Am logo was one of the most often-seen adverts in the original. I know they're defunct IRL but having them back in 2049 is both a reminder to suspend disbelief and a sign of continuity for those who paid attention to the first film.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Don't forget Atari....

1. Simon Harris
        1. Mike 16

A bit of a rebirth?

You mean like that experienced by Abbie Normal in Young Frankenstein?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Pan Am Logo

I would not be at all surprised if the Pan Am logo becomes a bit of a meme in further Sci-Fi films, in part because of the films that have already featured it but also because the company is now long-defunct, which probably makes its use easier.

I would also not be at all surprised if this does not happen.

1. steelpillow Silver badge

Re: Pan Am Logo

Elon Musk, if you read this, go buy the goddam brand and resurrect it for your new spaceships!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Unfortunately, Elon Musk can’t have Pan Am, as somebody else bought the name and logo, and it now runs railways(!).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_Am_Railways

2. Alan Brown Silver badge

IIRC at the moment the Pan Am logo is owned by a railway logistics outfit.

Looks..... Yup.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_Am_Systems

"It formerly held a now-defunct airline division." - gotta love the revisionism there. No mention of the original which collapsed in 1991 and got hoovered up.

1. Spazturtle Silver badge

""It formerly held a now-defunct airline division." - gotta love the revisionism there."

That is referring to the attempt to bring Pan Am airlines back in 1998 which failed.

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

It's "the curse of BladeRunner" - all the companies featured in the original have since gone bust

1. Avatar of They

I just watched the final cut over the weekend in preparation to watch this film. Coca cola is on the billboards a fair bit.

2. GruntyMcPugh Silver badge

"all the companies featured in the original have since gone bust"

Except Johnny Walker. Alive and well then, now, and it seems, in 2049 ; -)

1. batfink

@Grunty - and Johnny Walker have actually released a limited edition bottle as seen in BR2049. Yours for £100 on Amazon (as usual, $100 in US I believe). I did consider it for a while and then worked out how much other whiskey I could buy for £100. Very cool thing to have though.

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Sieko is alive and well.

3. macjules

Nevertheless, the chaos of a disintegrating environment, an unexpected massive data loss ..

So, adverts for AWS, Deloitte, Yahoo and Equifax then?

4. Gary Bickford

Pan Am - They'llll beeeee baaack

In today's world of old logos and brands being bought and revivified, it could happen. The original Pan Am was a much more entrepreneurial company than I ever realized. Pan Am was very much a startup when it talked Boeing into building the original 314 Clippers, promising to buy them if built. (They actually only bought six of the original and six more of the 314A. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_314_Clipper)

I don't know who owns the trademark today, but I could see Jeff Bezos buying the brand for a hypothetical service using Blue Origin launch vehicles for its competitor to Musk's SpaceX suborbital flight service, or even an orbital shuttle service to space stations and such.

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

Re: Pan Am - They'llll beeeee baaack

"Pan Am was very much a startup when it talked Boeing into building the original 314 Clippers,"

It was a different era then, particularly in regard to attitudes to market dominance.

Pan Am might never have existed if the Boeing group wasn't forcibly broken up under antitrust laws some years earlier (It became Boeing Airplane company, United Airlines and United Aircraft Corporation) in the wake of the Air Mail scandal: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Mail_scandal

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Aircraft_and_Transport_Corporation makes interesting reading and shows that Boeing's current antics(*) aren't anything new.

At some point the pendulum is going to swing back and perhaps another Pan Am will spring up.

(*) managing to get a 220% import duty applied to aircraft in a market segment it doesn't even manufacture for.

3. Joerg

Another awful reboot like Prometheus...

..another atrocious movie by Ridley Scott like the awful Prometheus and Alien Covenant weren't enough already.

Now they released an atrocious Blade Runner sequel reboot so pretentious forced and hollow trying to mimic the original in a silly way and with a too long runtime for a very slow boring pacing.

Long gone are the times in which Ridley Scott could direct top-notch sci-fi movies Alien and Blade Runner. Now anything directed or produced by him is an absolute mess and a silly pathetic joke.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Another awful reboot like Prometheus...

Several media reviews started by expressing their initial fears in those terms - then went on to rate the film they saw as 5 stars.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Chin up, no-one much like dthe original when it was released either.

3. Dave 126 Silver badge

This film was directed by Denis Villeneuve, not Ridley Scott. It is a sequel not a reboot. You don't seem to be very well informed for someone with feelings so strong; one wonders why you went to see 2049 in the first place. If you haven't seen it then shut up.

4. detritus

*wipes spittle from face*

ok, i'll bite, Joerg — what recent-ish movies do you consider worth your while?

1. Mark 110

I actually quite enjoyed Prometheus. Bit of a mess plotwise and lacking the brooding tension of the best Scifi thrillers but it was ok.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Well if you quite enjoyed Prometheus, whatever you do don't watch the sequel.

1. Danny 14

i watched the my little pony movie this afternoon with my 4 and 8 year old. it was much better than the last equestria girls one. perhaps that will be up your street?

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Ok, spoilers:

The whole Xenomorph race being the product of a demented robot? Engineers who might have perhaps travelled the galaxy seeding and destroying life being reduced to a bunch of villagers getting wiped out by a demented robot? It's bollocks and it ruins both films.

2. WolfFan Silver badge
        Coat

ok, i'll bite, Joerg — what recent-ish movies do you consider worth your while?

From the looks of his rant, Galaxina is about his speed. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080771/

5. cosmogoblin
      Terminator

Have you seen it?

It's definitely not a reboot (which I have as little love for as you, by the way - BSG excepted). And the story is definitely not the same as the original. I kept trying to predict the twists, based on movies in general and the original in particular, and failed almost every time.

I suppose you could say the pace is slow - at least for the first half. I very much liked it, and thought it worked well, but that's a matter of preference.

Bear in mind also that if you don't like the direction (I did), Ridley Scott was little more than an executive producer.

Still, in the interests of balance, it's interesting to see my first poor review of 2049.

4. chivo243 Silver badge
    Meh

Arrival? good?

I can't comment to that. Even the missus thought it was crap.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Arrival? good?

I thought it was fantastic, a bit like the original Alien, all suspense, but not much action....different tastes.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I thought it was fantastic, a bit like the original Alien, all suspense, but not much action....different tastes.

Alien was a horror movie disguised as sci-fi. Same with Prometheus (except the Final Girl escapes with half of another character). Haven't seen Covenant yet.

1. Mark 110

Alien was a horror film in space (though it had quite a bit of critique of corporate machinations). Aliens was a miltiary action film in space (with overt critique or corporate machinations. [Two of my favourite films btw - I love pure Space Opera as well - Star Wars, 5th Element], The only moral / ethical dimension in Alien(s) was the actions of 'The Corporation'.

Blade Runner was different. It was a detective thriller but it asked deeper moral / ethical questions about the nature of humanity and human society. Thats what the best SciFi does uses dystopian futures, or alien interactions, or reflections on the past, or the challenges of technological advances to reflect on our belief systems. The genius of Blade Runner was it built that moral/ethical narrative around a brilliant detective film noir.

Can't wait to see the new one.

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

"Thats what the best SciFi does"

Indeed. Good science fiction uses technology not as an end in itself but to raise "what if?" questions about the societies that result as well as even deeper questions about human nature.

I've referred to it as "speculative fiction" on more than one occasion.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Covenant

I just saw Covenant the other day.

Really not sure wether to like it or hate it, suprisingly. I think Michael Fassbender does a fantastic job in both Prometheus and Covenant (doubly so in the latter - watch it to see what I mean about that). Don't rate many of the other characters though in either movie, apart from Charlise Theron.

The plotlines are properly silly in Prometheus and Covenant had me almost yelling at the TV when the few characters involved seem to completely forget about the welfare of the 2,000 colonists who they're transporting in cryosleep in order to save a couple of their colleagues...

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Geiger, apparently, hated the poor quality 'Alien' they created for the first couple of movies. Little more that a guy in a rubber suit.

Somehow I didn't notice that he had passed away in 2014... http://www.hrgiger.com/bio

1. Mooseman Silver badge

"Geiger, apparently, hated the poor quality 'Alien' they created for the first couple of movies. Little more that a guy in a rubber suit"

That's why I like the UK cut of Alien - you barely see the creature, while the US version I watched had, yes, a guy in a rubber suit running around.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon
              Joke

How did you manage to see through your hands?

I remember watching the face hugger attack on frame-advance on my super-duper VHS player of the time and being mightily impressed that it still looked real and, if anything, scarier. If you've never done that, I highly recommend it. There's so much in that split second you don't actually see in real-time.

2. Sweep

In the theatrical release you hardly see the alien and it's much better for it. In the Director's cut it is much more apparent that's it's a slow moving prop/ guy in a rubber suit. The DC also has that weird scene with 2 of the crew turning into eggs which throws the pacing off near the end (it was left out of the theatrical cut for good reason).

2. MacroRodent
        Alien

"Arrival" is one of the very few science fiction films that takes seriously the problems we really might face with communicating with extra-terrestrials. One could compare it to "Solaris" (the Tarkovsky version), although it is mercifully not as slow. In most other films, the aliens come speaking perfect English, or there is a magical translation computer (or babelfish).

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"...the problems of communicating with extra terrestrials..."

Well let's face it, when 'leaders' are reduced to feeling that using twatter to talk to each other is a route to clear communication then what chance do the rest of us have?

I'm reminded of how a simple phrase three word phrase can be misconstrued with catastrophic consequences.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_Serve_Man

5. Dave 126 Silver badge

Product placement

Pan Am, Bell and IBM are featured in Kubrick's 2001. The original Blade Runner featured Pan Am, Coca Cola, Cuisinart, Bulova, Dentyne, Jovan and Budweiser.

https://typesetinthefuture.com/2016/06/19/bladerunner/

The above link is fun.... For example, it has a close-up of the prop newspaper taken from an onset photograph. The Headline reads: FARMING THE OCEANS, THE MOON AND ANTARCTICA. WORLDWIDE COMPUTER LINKUP PLANNED

6. PaulyV

In the words of director Dean Learner...

"Some say Harrison Ford used to be a carpenter...I say he still is."

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: In the words of director Dean Learner...

Maybe so, but without any shadow of a doubt Hayden Christensen makes Harrison Ford look like Laurence Olivier.

The scene where he's 'seducing' Natalie Portman made me feel physically unwell the acting was so bad.

1. Gordon 10

Re: In the words of director Dean Learner...

I blame George Lucas. Watch Hayden in Shattered Glass - you won’t believe it’s the same actor.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon