nav search
Data Center Software Security Transformation DevOps Business Personal Tech Science Emergent Tech Bootnotes BOFH

back to article
Blade Runner 2049: Back to the Future – the movies that showed us what's to come

Silver badge
Coat

Johnny Mnemonic...

Human-brain interfaces ?

Silver badge

Re: Johnny Mnemonic...

That's just a step away from Tron, download yourself into a computer and live forever, but the downside might be someone hijacks the computer you're in and forces you to mine bitcoin...

Silver badge
Boffin

The problem with all of these stories/movies is that their futuristic views are actually based on conceptual technologies that could evolve from existing or emerging tech. Its not just the embedded silicon, but the use of EEG to pull back the data. Or the use of reading EMF noise from machines to see what is going on.

You have to read the book and skip the movie. Gibson was pretty prophetic in his visions. As to Tron, its more pure fantasy, ala Lawnmower Man which would be a better example.

I'm amazed that the author skipped over Gibson's Virtual Light. (Ok, its not a movie... yet)

Or the Anime "Eden of the East" when looking at the power of the social network.

Loved virtual Light - mirror contact lenses and paper pushbikes :D

Silver badge
Coat

Robocop...

Brain-controlled artificial limbs...

Silver badge

Re: Robocop...

Go back further to the $6M man.

Steve Austin, a man barely alive ...

For the corporation angle, you can go back to Rollerball (1975). First time I ever heard Bach's Toccata and Fugue.

You mean Chuck Yeager, the guy who fell out of the sky with his head on fire?

https://euclidsbridge.wordpress.com/2012/07/28/chuck-yeagers-insane-nf-104-crash-or-holy-shit-this-guys-hardcore/

Silver badge
Holmes

I don't know anyone who was waiting for a sequel to Blade Runner. This nonsense of making films into series needs to die. That is why films today are shite. They are no more than elongated TV episodes.

Silver badge

So 35 years between two "episodes" is a series?

Wow....just wow.

Silver badge

Hates are going to hate.

Look,

You may not like the movie or the story line.

But I can tell you that there are people waiting to see this movie.

The original is a tough movie to follow and there's a lot of unanswered questions about the 'universe' and story line.

I agree that there's a lot of crap being made. But that's more about the numbers than a lack of creativity. The issue is that a remake / sequel has a built in audience. That if the movie was made right, you can guarantee a certain minimum return. Net new movie / plot would have more risk.

Just something to think about.

Silver badge
Thumb Down

Yes, there are many shitty followups to good movies, but if the reviews are anything to go by you should probably pick a different example to complain about.

Of course, in some ways this makes it worse, because Holywood will think "hey, the remake of Blade Runner did really well, what other classic films can we dig up and ruinresurrect?"

Silver badge
Facepalm

Wow....just wow

Yes. the second film continues from the first. The passage of time makes no difference. Hollywood, rather than make something new dig into past films and make sequels. I'm not talking about re-makes but sequels where the next film in the series gets progressively worse and mangles the story. Films used to be stand alone works of art, complete in themselves. Now films are made with sequels in mind.

If this new Blade Runner is any good, (or rakes in a lot of cash) they'll make a 3rd and even a 4th. Every series starts with the first one.

So 35 years between two "episodes" is a series?

Only if you are George R. R. Martin.

Silver badge
Pint

Only if you are George R. R. Martin.

eBeer for Midnight.

Re: Wow....just wow

If this new Blade Runner is any good, (or rakes in a lot of cash) they'll make a 3rd and even a 4th. Every series starts with the first one.

So long as they allow 35 years before the next and again before the 4th for a really worthwhile script & treatment to properly mature I don't see a problem with that. And yes, I realise that means there's a good chance I won't see 3 and bugger all chance I'll see 4. Again, I don't see a problem with that.

Anonymous Coward

We will all die. It's just a matter of when.

Silver badge
Coat

The Machine / Chappie...

True self-learning AI ?

Silver badge

Re: The Machine / Chappie...

+ 1 for The Machine mention.

Silver badge
Unhappy

The Machine - pity it seems to have disappeared from Netflix

Silver badge

"True self-learning AI ?"

I was a bit surprised that there wasn't an entry for self-aware AI on the list.

The first unequivocally self-aware/sentient AI that I can think of was HAL 9000, in 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Whilst the plot of Metropolis revolved around a robot that could seemingly pass for human, the robot itself did not appear to be self-aware, self-motivated or even have its own character; it just did its master's bidding.

Silver badge
Coat

The 6th Day...

Human cloning ?

Silver badge

Re: The 6th Day...

No, nacho flavoured bananas!

Silver badge

and on the 8th day the machines just got upset.

Ask your dads kids.....

Bronze badge

A great album at least

Silver badge

Favourite?

Can you have a favourite dystopia?

All far too different, and I'd have trouble choosing one. I liked the first robocop as it touched on matters of identity and memory, I enjoyed Blade runner as it touched on the idea of memory and identity, but from a completely different angle.

I think I prefer both of the above over e.g. Star Trek, as they are set, in the words of "Max Headroom" "20 minutes into the future" and address issues in a society not far removed from our own.

They're all good fun though.

Silver badge

Re: Favourite?

+1 for the Max Headroom mention

Anonymous Coward

Slight correction.

Total Recall | Three boobies.

You could also add

Barbarella | 1968 | 4100's | Sex Machines.

You forgot Woody Allen's Sleeper

WTF?

The Culture

Errm, "Iain M Banks' relentlessly uplifting Culture books"

Relentlessly uplifting? Were we reading the same stories? Although the Culture is nominally a utopian future surely the books largely concentrate on the negative aspects of this society. As quite often the main protagonists of the stories end up dead or badly damaged I'd hardly call them uplifting...

Silver badge

Re: The Culture

Possible play on words? "Uplifting" sometimes refers to getting a society/culture/creature in Sci-fi and Aliens giving them super advanced tech.

Silver badge

"the main protagonists of the stories end up dead or badly damaged"

That's down to Special Circumstances...

Silver badge

"Uplifting" sometimes refers to getting a society/culture/creature in Sci-fi

As in the David Brin series of the same name. Well worth reading..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uplift_Universe

Silver badge

Cherry 2000 - the need for all sex robots to be waterproof.

Silver badge

"the need for all sex robots to be waterproof."

A topic also covered by Frank Zappa. in Joe's Garage.

Silver badge

Fahrenheit 451 (the 1966 Truffaut version) does quite well on predictions.

Dumbing down of society.

Live broadcasts of police chases - after seeing the one in the film when they're trying to capture Guy Montag, the next time I saw one was when OJ Simpson was captured.

Fake news (in connection with the police chase).

Robot dogs - I can't remember if it's in the film, but when I read the book recently, I imagined the robot dog that the firemen used to be somewhat like the one from Boston Dynamics.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Fahrenheit 451 (the 1966 Truffaut version) does quite well on predictions.

On the wall TV flat screens. Moronic daytime TV programmes.

Silver badge

Re: Fahrenheit 451 (the 1966 Truffaut version) does quite well on predictions.

Moronic daytime TV programs that were *fake* interactive.

Brilliant concept.

Silver badge

V for Vendetta, 1984 etc.

Human population under the thumb of oppressive overbearing regimes.

Oh, sorry, you wanted films predicting the future not the present.

Silver badge
Big Brother

Re: V for Vendetta, 1984 etc.

Brazil.

When is that set, in the scheme of things...

Silver badge

Currently in a discussion with someone on the internet about these black boxes that are used by insurance companies. The idea being they make your insurance cheaper.

I point out that if someone follows your every move, then they're a stalker and they get put in to prison. But if it saves you a few quid, they give money to insurance companies willingly to do the same.

Someone then says "I'm not paranoid enough to care". And that's a shocking reflection on society. Take all of your freedom and your privacy for the sake of a few quid. Then again, it's Facebook, so you're giving some of it away for free anyway.

Silver badge

I've seen various basic tests of how much people are willing to give up for the sake of a bit of money, and you're right it's scary how much greed can override rationality in almost everyone, and how large corporations are exploiting this.

The perfect example is free search engines and free social media websites - if you're not the customer you're the product.

Silver badge

2022 is just around the corner, the year Soylent Green is set in. Plenty of time to get to that scenario, not necessarily, the overwhelming greenhouse effect just yet but the authorities attitude to the great unwashed is beginning to show through some of the more worn spots in society.

Biscuit, anyone?

Silver badge
Facepalm

One thing's for sure about those black boxes, if you get a work vehicle with one fitted just after you pass your test, don't do 110mph on the M4 then act surprised when you lose your license, and job.

(Allegedly true story from a friend of a friend)

MJI
Silver badge

Insurance black box

Daughters boyfriend had issues after following me on a motorway at 80.

He didn't realise the effect it would have.

Silver badge

@Brazil

Or 13 Monkeys

Mushroom

Mad Max

The vehicles! The clothes!

Silver badge

Re: Mad Max

But which one?

Gold badge

Mad Max isn't SciFi is it? I thought it was just a documentary about Australia?

Bronze badge

Mad Max isn't SciFi is it? I thought it was just a documentary about Australia?

Not nearly enough venomous animals and plants for that. And the local humans are much too polite, gentle, calm, and reserved, and drive with far to much consideration for fellow road users. (Anyone who doubts this has not seen Sydney traffic on a weekday morning. It's not quite Mexico City or (shudder) Paris, but it's definitely well past Los Angeles.)

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

The Register - Independent news and views for the tech community. Part of Situation Publishing