back to article Google Assistant clears its throat, very weird 'machine IQ' tests, new AMD chip – plus more

Hello, here's this week's snippets of artificial intelligence news. It shows how some AI frameworks are beginning to mature, and that some research is applicable to the real world, while other papers are questionable. More natural sounding robo-assistants DeepMind's WaveNet model, a neural network that generates machine speech …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

New Machine IQ Test

Give the machines a fighting chance, pit them against politicians not 6 years old kids.

(Whether politicians count as human beings is a debate I leave open)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: New Machine IQ Test

Include my dog there. (He's a smart cookie and I'd wager he could beat the pants off the average politician (he can certainly eat them off!))

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Deepmind

Article says that Deepmind was given £40m by Alphabet, but that's actually accounted as turnover for research services, so a minor distinction to make. But what's far more interesting is that near enough the same sum was charged by somebody in the Alphabet group as a "management service fee", so that they put the money in (on paper) and then scooped it all back out again.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like