nav search
Data Center Software Security Transformation DevOps Business Personal Tech Science Emergent Tech Bootnotes BOFH

back to article
Microsoft tries to Spark relationship with cluster lusters: Promises 5-min big data bang on Azure

Silver badge

Good. More people will discover more quickly that Spark doesn't live up to the hype; and we'll either get Spark improved to the point that it works or people will stop going on about it.

Anonymous Coward

Seems to only support Ubuntu at the moment. Shame as Hadoop supports Windows from V2.2 onwards, Windows Server has Docker support built in, and features on Azure like HD Insight usually blow other solutions out of the water in terms of performance...

Hadoop on Windows is a joke as only base services are supported.

Recent HDP releases have dropped support for Windows.

HDInsights is running on Linux.

https://community.hortonworks.com/questions/58663/hdp-25-support-for-windows.html

Anonymous Coward

"HDInsights is running on Linux."

Not according to Microsoft:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/dn247618.aspx

HDInsight Server Developer preview makes Apache Hadoop available as a service on Windows Server, and provides a streamlined deployment and configuration process. The HDInsight Service on Windows Azure provides Hadoop as a scalable, on-demand service as part of the Windows Azure Platform.

Although if HDP is no longer available for Windows maybe that has changed. Shame as it was noticeable faster on Windows Server and the only notable feature missing afaik was Hadoop Security.

Silver badge
Coat

" Shame as Hadoop supports Windows from V2.2"

Wow, I could barely get Ethernet to work on Windows 2, so hats off to them.

Anonymous Coward

Seriously @TheVogon? Have you actually done any work with Hadoop (or Linux) in the real world? No, I didn't think so.

Silver badge

Cluster engine runs on virtualized cluster engine?

If I'm given to understand correctly: Microsoft want you to run Apache Spark™ on top of Docker™ running on top of Azure™

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

The Register - Independent news and views for the tech community. Part of Situation Publishing