back to article FreeBSD gains eMMC support so … errr … watch out, Android

Version 10.4 of FreeBSD has landed, with the headline feature being support for eMMC. For those of you still short of your best after nocturnal chemical exertions, eMMC – aka Embedded Multimedia Card – packs some flash memory and a controller into a single package. That arrangement is handy for manufacturers of personal …

1. Hans 1
    Boffin

Hm, I'll soon have a spare iPhone 5S, how do I create a FreeBSD image for that, any thoughts ?

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge
    Stop

Terrible article

Almost as if the author has never used FreeBSD…

Want to know why FreeBSD is interesting: it's well-engineered an unencumbered.

1. sabroni Silver badge
      Happy

Re: it's well-engineered an unencumbered.

An unencumbered what? Terrible comment.....

1. Jamie Jones Silver badge
        Happy

An unencumbered cucumber.

2. Arthur the cat Silver badge

An unencumbered what?

Batch, as in Benedict.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. CAPS LOCK

I use FreeBSD at work because...

...ZFS!

1. FrankAlphaXII

Re: I use FreeBSD at work because...

I use it at home on my servers and my UNIXlike desktop for the same reason, out of the box ZFS.

I switched from CentOS and Fedora about three years ago and haven't looked back. Its nice to not have to constantly fuck around with broken bullshit (or listening to constant whining about how systemd is the spawn of satan, though those issues were more a problem with Fedora than CentOS) to get the OS to work the way I want it to.

I just wish that AMD had more than two people working on FreeBSD, but oh well.

5. MJI Silver badge

Gadget?

What, like a PS Vita?

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: Gadget?

Or a Playstation 3 or 4...

6. naive

*BSD might have a great future

After having (re)discovered the virtues of true Unix by starting to use NetBSD instead of Linux for single task systems, *BSD is a perfect fit for smaller devices. The people building this, are real geniuses, and understand where Unix is about: the user is in control, and not systemd, obese package management software that doesn't stop installing "dependencies" or dbus. And it is possible to build a kernel !, it takes less then 2 hours to find out how to configure and build a NetBSD kernel, something I gave up on Linux a decade ago, since moving the smallest pebble on the mount Himalaya of Linux kernel build software would prevent the new kernel to compile with vague messages not related to the change.

The results of this approach are clearly visible in the CVE database: BSD security rocks !.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: *BSD might have a great future

"I gave up on Linux a decade ago, since moving the smallest pebble on the mount Himalaya of Linux kernel build software would prevent the new kernel to compile with vague messages not related to the change."

As a long time Gentoo user, I'm sympathetic to that. I've spent many hours trying to figure out what I need enabled and what can safely be disabled in my kernel. Setting up graphics, network and sound card support doesn't take too long with the gentoo online documentation, but you're on your own if you want to go through and turn off a whole load of stuff you'll never, ever use, and it almost certainly is not worth the effort, unless you're desperate to shave a few kb off your kernel. The descriptive comments from the "gui" based "menuconfig" are sometimes good, sometimes unhelpful, and sometimes non-existant.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Linux kernel builds

I can't say that I've ever really had problems building my own Linux kernels, since the later 2.0 kernels - around 1999. Yes, there are one or two things to watch out for but by stripping out all the drivers and sub-systems I don't need means less stuff to go wrong and a reduced attack surface. My kernel packages are between one third to one half the size of a typical distro supplied kernel and come in at ~12/13MB, not that the size, in and of itself, is all that important.

7. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

FreeBSD on a Huawei/Xiaomi coming soon?

8. jonfr

Latest FreeBSD release is 11.1-Release

The version 10.4-Release of FreeBSD is legacy. The current release is 11.1-Release and is from July. The driver changes can be found here with other changes. I need to upgrade my FreeBSD server to this new release soon.

https://www.freebsd.org/releases/11.1R/relnotes.html#drivers

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Latest FreeBSD release is 11.1-Release

"The version 10.4-Release of FreeBSD is legacy."

10.4 for is current and fully supported for a quite some time. It's not "legacy" and you don't have to "upgrade" to the 11 series if you don't want to. the 10 series doesn't go EOL 'till Oct.18 at the earliest,

In general, stable release get 5 years support, so it may be time to start planning a move to 11, but there's no real rush yet,

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Don't Understand....

....am writing this with Fedora 26 on an Acer Cloudbook 14:

- 32GB eMMC

- Intel N3060

No probs with a vanilla F26 install. Why the fuss about special arrangements needed for FreeBSD, when none are needed for F26???

1. Alistair
      Windows

Re: Don't Understand....

F26 -> systemd pulseaudio -> some folks have an allergy to Poettering. And workstation comes with far too much crap for some folks. My hate for systemd is *starting* to dissipate but only because I've found some interesting functionality that makes automation and error messaging within automation somewhat informative - given a bit of creativity.

Pulse -- well -- I hate that it brought windows audio functionality to linux and I love that it brought windows audio functionality to linux. It just depends on if I'm talking about WOW on wine or trying to conf call on lync in a KVM guest windows instance.

Freebsd -> sysvinit, absolutely minimal requirements to get it off the ground and running, and the cross dependency tree for things is *much* shorter. and networking -- network network. Just try it on the same hardware -- you will understand quickly.

2. Jamie Jones Silver badge

What special arrangements are you talking about?

Besides, this is talking about backporting to a legacy version (FreeBSD 10)

If you cared about more uptodate features, you'd be using the official release version, FreeBSD 11.

Or, for someone more used to Linux instability, the development version, FreeBSD 12

<cheapshot>By the way, how's the Fedora Raspberry PI3 support going?</cheapshot>

1. Hans 1

FreeBSD user here since 4.2, I still have the CD-ROM, in its shrine ... anyway ...

<cheapshot>By the way, how's the Fedora Raspberry PI3 support going?</cheapshot>

Dunno, don't care, FreeBSD cuts it ... so does OpenSuse tumbleweed... needed that for ARM 64-bit software ... well, OpenSuse has some issues, I think, with sound ... and I am not sure it displays the "insufficient power" alert ... so, make sure your PSU's have enough juice.

Ok, tumbleweed has "système d", I could try FreeBSD's linux compatibility layer for my software, not sure it would work, though ...

10. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

I'd like to think that anyone who has the - shall we say good taste? - to use BSD in an IoT thing will also be inclined to do better than to let the user operate it with a default password.

11. This post has been deleted by its author

12. Orv Silver badge

There are already routers that use FreeBSD as an embedded OS. It's a pretty good choice for that application.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

And NAS…

2. Olivier2553

There have been networking equipment based on FreeBSD for decades.

I have in storage an old RAS (? that thing that concentrates many modems) that is based on FreeBSD 2.2.

13. herman

I installed OpenBSD on a little 32 bit netbook a long time ago and everything worked and still works today, including the SD card, so why is this news?

14. Hans 1
    Boffin

SD Card ?

eMMC != MMC != SD card

e stands for embedded.

15. 2cent

FreeBSD, Alright!

KDE has made good inroads in to the GUI

ZFS has snapshots and the ability to load earlier kernels if the current one fails. It also has send/receive that can work with your home/work receiver securely.

In short. What a great idea.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like