back to article Baidu puts open source deep learning into smartphones

A year after it open sourced its PaddlePaddle deep learning suite, Baidu has dropped another piece of AI tech into the public domain – a project to put AI on smartphones. Mobile Deep Learning (MDL) landed at GitHub under the MIT license a day ago, along with the exhortation “Be all eagerness to see it”. MDL is a convolution- …

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Trollface

"MDL can recognise a smartphone in less than half a second"

Well that there is a performance, especially when you remember that there have been experts paid $80,000 that couldn't tell between an Android and an iPhone !

Seriously though, I'm no more comfortable having Baidu hoard all my data than Google. I don't the like the idea of any government listening in to my life, not China any more than the NSA.

1. davenewman

Re: "MDL can recognise a smartphone in less than half a second"

Hang on, if the neural network runs on the phone it doesn't have to send anything to a server.

1. IceC0ld

Hang on, if the neural network runs on the phone it doesn't HAVE to send anything to a server.

FTFY

we seem to live in a world where no one can have absolute privacy anymore, and where, if George Orwell was still around, that he would be both amazed and appaled that not only is the surveillence greater than anything he could visualize, but that we bought the damn cameras / apparatus OURSELVES FFS :o(

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

But can it recognise a hotdog?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like