back to article Samsung's Galaxy Note 8 is hot, but not much more than the S8+

Samsung's Galaxy Note 8 is everything you'd expect in a premium handset, but the stylus doesn't appear to add huge value. The Register was today offered the chance to get hands-on with the new phablet at its formal Australian launch. My immediate impression was that there's now very little distinction between a Phablet and a …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

"ever became noticeably warmer"

That's what the water trays were for....

1. Unicornpiss
      Happy

Re: "ever became noticeably warmer"

...better than the Note 7, which occasionally became noticeably much, much warmer.

2. Lord Elpuss Silver badge

Maybe it gets warm because of the 10x optical zoom.

"Samsung made much of the device's camera, now imbued with 10x optical zoom"

1. GruntyMcPugh Silver badge

Shame the author has read the specs of the phone, because it's 2x optical.

http://www.samsung.com/uk/smartphones/galaxy-note8/camera/

10x would require quite a bump. Or magic.

Musing on this, I think it's probably a Freudian slip, what with the iPhone X (10) out recently, I think the author got all Roman on our asses. Or Binary.

2. Mark 110

Has that intern started yet?

"The Note gets 6GB of RAM, two more than the S8+, but a 3300 mAh 200mAh down on the S8+'s power source."

Sentence is missing the word battery and a punctuation mark afterwards. Its getting like Grauniad in here sometimes :-)

Re: Has that intern started yet?

'and-write' (sic) should have been 'hand write' I think,....

1. Simon Sharwood, Reg APAC Editor (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Re: Has that intern started yet?

Yes it should. I missed the H. My bad. The production desk will give me a grilling now :-(

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

They'll spend the first two weeks looking up how to run a DROP TRIGGER against the running instance of Kieren.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

'Samsung reckons it's possible to dial phone numbers you and-write in notes,'

Ummm? Not a clue what that was meant to say.

1. Simon Sharwood, Reg APAC Editor (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Re: Has that intern started yet?

"Hand-write". My bad. And the intern will work in London, not down here in Oz.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Sentence is missing the word battery and a punctuation mark afterwards.

I was able to make sense of it - and for free I won't complain. But rather than the grammar, surely the main problem is in the sentence you've highlighted, that this huge phone comes with a poxy little 3300 mAh battery? That's pathetic for a device costing £850. The S8+ is pretty unambitious (after the Note 7 we can guess why).

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's Oz speak.

3. Christopher Rogers

S8+ was the right move then. The best of both worlds. I only got into computers because my handwriting is terrible...

1. big_D Silver badge

The Note 8 is for those that want a stylus, the S8+ for those that don't. I don't see why there should be any other differences in the spec.

(Obviously the 200mAH disappear to make room for the stylus.)

2. Teiwaz

handwriting is dying out...

The best of both worlds. I only got into computers because my handwriting is terrible...

Same here, (left handed for a start) - although, a couple of years at college with ex-industry lecturers who could talk off the top of their heads for 3 straight hours means my handwriting at least has character even if it's still illegible rather than like a relative coming up a few years later (when photocopies were cheaper) whose handwriting looks like an eight year olds.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Rendered irrelevant by the iPhone X...

Sorry Samsung fans, but you know I'm right.

1. rmason

Re: Rendered irrelevant by the iPhone X...

Obvious troll is obvious.

There is nothing particularly to separate the two. Just the branding and OS.

1. Lysenko

£170+ and a fingerprint reader separates the X from the (already stupidly expensive) Note 8. If I was going to spend >£500 on a phone (which isn't going to happen, ever) then there's no question which is better value.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

The iPhone X is a red herring. It can't sell in volume because Samsung can't make the screens quickly enough. It is something that generates discussion before those who want a new iPhones will buy an iPhone of another flavour. For that reason, there's little point in bringing up the iPhone X for comparison to Samsung's or LG's latest offerings. An iPhone 8 is a more suitable object of comparison, and specifically for a Note the 8+.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

@Dave 126

Because the iPhone X is going to be lower volume than the 8/8 plus you think it is "irrelevant"? Apple will sell far more iPhone Xs over the next year than Samsung will sell Note 8s (and the Note 8 is similarly outsold by its cheaper brother the S8/S8 plus) so I guess it is irrelevant too?

It is likely the iPhone X's display is not the only production limitation, the new front sensors for depth scanning may be even more limited since they've never been produced at anywhere near such a small size in volume before. Apple is solving the display issue by adding LG and potentially a third OLED supplier for next year, and presumably doing something about the sensors as well.

I think they figured that rather than wait until 2018 to have production up to snuff, they'd sell 2018's iPhone in 2017 - I doubt this was plan A.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: @Dave 126

@DougS

LCD and OLED screen costs have always been affected by yield rates. Small sensors and IR emitters far less so - for reasons that are obvious if you only think about it. Hint: area is L x W.

The 8 screens cost Apple about $50, the X screens currently $150.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

there's no question which is better value...

Samsung - cheaper, but nothing works properly. Face scanner can be fooled by a child's drawing of Father Christmas, finger print scanner (if you can actually reach it) can be fooled by damp toilet paper, Android bloat and malware, no software updates, no security patching, odd intermittent failures, no support after Samsung release next iteration in 6 months time, stylus will get lost within 30 minutes, danger of body and face burns. Used by witless, entitled twenty-somethings. Screen always cracked.

Apple - more expensive. It worked well yesterday, it works well today, it'll work well tomorrow, it'll work well and be fully supported in 5 years time. Used by those who truly value quality.

I see what you mean.

1. Triggerfish

I bet you wait for every windows post so you can go on about Penguins as well.

2. Angus Cooke

Looks like you have a chip on both shoulders! Idiot.

3. macjules
            Gimp

You forgot to add that each iPhone X is lovingly caressed by Tim Cook and Jonny iVe before being packed.

4. Dan 55 Silver badge

Upvoted for the thing about Father Christmas and because Samsung software is atrocious. Their first fingerprint scanner software dumped the fingerprint as a BMP in a world readable file. No matter how shiny the hardware (if it doesn't have battery problems, and I'm not just talking about the Note 7), you wouldn't get me to buy anything Samsung.

Except the washing machine because that wasn't my decision, but it unsurprisingly gives cryptic error codes and sometimes forgets where it is in the program if you pause and restart.

My work phone is a Samsung, was given to me for free, and it's sat unused in my drawer because it's bollocks. Heavy, slippy glass back that's going to break if you look at it wrong, crappy software you can't uninstall.

@Dan55 "crappy software you can't uninstall."

Like the stocks App on IOS?

1. D@v3

Re: GruntyMcPugh

What stocks app?

Oh, the one i deleted when iOS10 came out.

5. Adrian 4

@AC

You may well be right, but most iphones I see (as well as other makes) are cracked. There seems to be a correlation between people who spend too much on a phone and people who don't understand simple materials science.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

> I must have missed the bit about the X having 6GB RAM

And that does what for you exactly? RAM is meaningless beyond what it does for the user experience - so if you want to compare handsets on a task-for-task basis then go for it. Remember that they have different OSs, and different speeds of NAND storage, and of course different SoCs. Anandtech can give you a range of benchmarks and analysis, if you fancy.

You merely waving numbers around like a teenage game of Top Trumps suggests you've learnt nothing from the last twenty years of computing. It's actually embarrassing that a supposedly technical website like the Reg has readers that up-voted that simplistic fuckwittery.

6. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

As someone who has moved from Apple to Samsung, you are talking bollocks. I've had multiple Apple products fail. iPhones and MacBook Pro's. I no longer buy Apple kit as it's too expensive for what it is and their support is awful.

From now on I will stick with Android phones because for ~£500 I can get something that is far more usable than an iPhone and I get a headphone jack.

2. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

There is nothing particularly to separate the two. Just the branding and OS.

The OS is a pretty damn big difference..

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

and the iPhone will make you cross.

I'm here all week...

3. big_D Silver badge

I must have missed the bit about the X having 6GB memory and a stylus built in.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You also missed the bit about iOS being literally 10-15 times more efficient at runtime than the Java-heavy Android. 6GB for Android is like 500MB for iOS. Android is like an breathless obese child squeezing into a Fiat 500. iOS is like a hunting lion. When you run something on an Android phone, 95% of all processing is offloaded to Google severs, else the phone would melt.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Hmm...

Is IP67 is so much better than IP68 water rating?

Is the lack of fingerprint sensor make it better?

Oh - and the price...

I'll stick with my Samsung S8 thanks.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

IP67 means 30 minutes under a half meter of water, and IP68 means 30 minutes under a meter of water. Does that extra half meter really matter? You're safe either way if you knock your phone in a full sink. Neither tests the effect of dropping your phone in a pool, or getting caught outside in a huge downpour with your phone in your pocket. Your phone is probably fine if either happens, but IP67 vs IP68 isn't going to make it more or less likely to survive either of those occurrences.

If someone came out with a phone rated waterproof down to a couple hundred meters like many watches, would that be better than IP67/IP68 in a way that would or should influence any purchase decisions, or would it just be another pointless spec to use in a dick measuring contest? Would anyone take their phone underwater in a chlorine filled pool or salt filled ocean if it was waterproof to 200 meters? I sure wouldn't - might not have desirable effects on the finish, or on the chemical coating used to keep the screen fingerprint resistant. Though more to the point, why would you? Taking pictures underwater doesn't work too well without the proper lens.

5. GruntyMcPugh Silver badge

I've had three Notes, the 1, 3, and now the 4. I've only had one smartphone without a stylus since 2004, that was an HTC HD2, and while I liked the phone, I really missed the stylus.

I use my stylus daily, to take notes, and largely, for shopping lists. I write down things I need as I think of them, then cross them out as I shop. I have crap handwriting too, so I use the Italic pen, which gives my script some form, and stops it looking like a scratchy line.

1. Yesnomaybe

Yup, I had 2 now on 4, can't wait for the 8, buying it whatever the price.

1. Gob Smacked

..and it's good

My son already has it. Batterywise: he's doing more than a full day with a full charge and if he then charges it, it's back on 100% in about an hour.

I'm officially jealous (still on the Note 3).

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yup, I had 2 now on 4, can't wait for the 8, buying it whatever the price.

I assume you're referring to the iPhone?

2. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

I write down things I need as I think of them, then cross them out as I shop.

There's an app for that you know..

@CrazyOldMan "I write down things I need as I think of them, then cross them out as I shop.

There's an app for that you know.."

Yeah, S-Note. Which uses the S-Pen. I can take a photo of my wife's shopping list (she has an S7 no S-Pen, so uses paper,.....) include it in my S-Note shopping list, and cross those items off too. I used to have an LCD Boogie Board attached to my fridge, so I'd write my shopping list on that, take a picture, then cross off the items on my phone (using the S-Pen). It's a simple, and elegant solution to an everyday activity. It actually adds a bit of value. Typing items in to a shopping list would be quite kludgy by comparison.

1. cray74

Typing items in to a shopping list would be quite kludgy by comparison.

I'm not endorsing the following app as the greatest thing since sliced bread, just pointing out that there are options between "putting lines through items on a photograph" and "typing items into a shopping list." If your brain favors old school hand-written lists or something else, then ignore this post.

"Note Everything" (I'm sure there are other check list apps) allows you to create check lists of many formats, and it retains them, even has a backup feature. You can mark items as "need" and "done" (i.e., "acquired," if it's a shopping list). You can prioritize and sort items, and it has a speech-to-text function for entry. You can have multiple lists - I keep a grocery list and a list of things to do when I go on travel. (Like never, ever forgetting to empty the garbage when you're leaving for a week and dropped a half-eaten garlic-and-herb crusted fish in the bin the night before departure. "Empty bins" is now on my travel check list.)

Yes, you have to manually type in items for your lists (or speak them into the list), but you only have to do that once and then the item is in your list permanently until you manually delete them. Then it's just a matter of checking and un-checking the items with a single finger (or stylus) tap through the week as you think of whether you need to buy something again.

I like a check list app because I was always forgetting the handwritten list by my refrigerator and almost never forget my phone. Obviously, it's not for everyone, but the option is out there.

6. rmason

I'm marginally annoyed

Marginally.

this was supposed to be my next handset, primarily because I've always got along well with samsung phones, and especially the Note series.

In the past that has been because it's always had superior battery life to others in the range, well over 24 hours without charging under reasonable/heavy usage.

I can't see this one being the same as it has a smaller capacity than the S8+, presumably because they think we'd all have fits if it was a few mm thicker. I've had four of the various "note" phones and they've all been brilliant. shame if this one isn't. Will have to have a play with one.

1. Peter 26

Re: I'm marginally annoyed

Maybe the stylus took up some of the battery room. FWIW my S8+ easily lasts a day, but that always seems to be the case with a new phone, hopefully that will still be the case in a couple of years.

1. Cloud-Bytes

The Note easily lasts a day. The Stylus also does a ton of useful stuff the reviewer seems to have missed. Hover over a word or paragraph to translate in real time springs to mind as I write this from another country...

2. Gob Smacked

@rmason: The Note8 by default uses a lower resolution than the S8/S8+. I guess this is the reason that it lasts more than a full day like the Notes before. It'll switch to higher resolution when necessary (video, etc.) or when you make it your preference to go to full resolution allways.

For regular use FullHD is enough for me, can't see the small pixels anyway...

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Have your burns healed up ok?

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like