nav search
Data Center Software Security Transformation DevOps Business Personal Tech Science Emergent Tech Bootnotes BOFH

back to article
Portland posts full report on Uber's dirty dealings with Greyball

Silver badge

Worse the Leisure Suit Larry's Minions and Slurp

Uber is showing itself to have a lack of ethics that make many despised organizations look saintly. One issue I had with Uber (why I never used them) is the requirement to use a mobile app with my cc on file. I prefer to keep my cc number closely guarded and not on a phone.

Re: Worse the Leisure Suit Larry's Minions and Slurp

Uber accepts cash in some other countries which has led to a number of interesting criminal responses.

Besides the old "rob the driver" scheme, Uber drivers have been carjacked and then successive riders robbed with original driver (and owner of the car) having been replaced by the robber.

Silver badge

Re: Worse the Leisure Suit Larry's Minions and Slurp

Interesting if true. Got a link?

Silver badge
Facepalm

Sullied their reputation?

Say it is not so!

Anonymous Coward

Re: Sullied their reputation?

I came to the comment section with "Uber has sullied its own reputation" in my copy and paste buffer.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Sullied their reputation?

Uber - so slimy that they give slime-balls 'The Creeps'.

They really need to put some present and former Uber executives into prison on charges of being scum. They're actually worse human beings than that creepy Martin Shkreli. Uber HQ is just a complete vacuum where basic morals and ethics should be. Yuck!

WTF?

Never Used Them

Mainly because I never use a taxi, private hire car or whatever of any form. However, the well of personal distrust grows ever deeper at every twist and turn and UBER are far ahead of the pack in this regard.

Silver badge

Re: Never Used Them

As I noted earlier, I refuse to have cc info or even worse bank info on my phone. I work on the assumption something relatively small and carried with me is likely to be left somewhere, lost, or even stolen. The less it has on it the less harm it can do to me. I even go so far as to have a phone only email account and not my main email account on the phone. As far as using a taxi or similar service, I have no problems with a licensed taxi company when I need a ride. But the taxi companies often will take cash (sometimes only cash) and they do not require my cc to be stored on an app or worse with them.

Silver badge

Re: Never Used Them

a yank lurker, I'm with you - no cc or more sensitive data on my mobile either. And no Uber etc. But what do you do when you need a lift in a town like San Francisco? There are hardly any taxis left. No chance of simply waving at the next cab. Unless you are blessed with extreme patience.

This post has been deleted by its author

Anonymous Coward

Another week, another Uber story.

When is the dastardly fiend hell bent on maniacal evils who owns the island (and a cat) going to show themselves as the true owner with diabolical plans for world domination of personal transportation?

Coat

@AC

Indeed, these stories are practically uberquitous...

(yes, yes, I'm going already)

Black Helicopters

Good point.

May be a campaign, indeed. When did these start?

Bronze badge

Used Lyft once. Would probably use them again. The driver was certainly happier now that he doesn't Uber anymore.

Unhappy

Desperately hoping that Uber collapses from it own hubris. The company should be taken to an unknown location and summarily shot.

@beep54

Quote, Desperately hoping that Uber collapses from it own hubris" Unquote.

Why?

Bit of a shitty thing to say isn't it? I would imagine that Uber;s employees are desperately hoping it doesn't.

Just saying.

Cheers… Ishy

Joke

What employees? They're all independent contractors.

@Kanhef

I am thinking about the backoffice workers and the people who write their software. Not the actual drivers. I would have thought that was obvious. My mistake. Sorry.

Cheers. Ishy

@ Ishtiaq

Why?

Did you not read the article? How about the many, many articles about their illegal business practices? Or their rampant sexism and harassment of female staff? Or the fact they don't pay the correct taxes because none of their drivers are employed? Or the rapes that have occurred because they don't properly vet drivers? Or the way they track users of their service before, during and after using it? Or the data on user's rides they used to release that could be used to identify those users and where they had travelled. Or.... the list is endless.

Uber are possibly the most despicable scum operating a business in the world today.

College dropout civil servants who couldn't hack it in the private sector acting jealous and bad mouthing highly paid Techies?

Say it aint so...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

The Register - Independent news and views for the tech community. Part of Situation Publishing