back to article AWS users felt a great disturbance in the cloud, as S3 cried out in terror

The world received an unpleasant reminder of what it's like to live without the cloud on Thursday, after Amazon Web Services' Simple Storage Service fluttered for an hour or so. The incident invoked memories of the S3 outage in March 2017 that caused interruptions to plenty of web services and apps, sparking much rending of …

1. jake Silver badge

Strange.

I didn't notice a thing. Must be all that clean living.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Strange.

Must be all that clean living.

On the contrary, saw no problems because all the NSFW content is properly hosted at Amazon's N.California DC.

1. jake Silver badge

I work from home, and live in a barn. Everything is SFW here.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

We noticed, in that our alerting picked up intermittent availability problems, but were unaffected because we either served from cache or retried from eu-west-1.

The whole thing was over in just under an hour.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

were unaffected because we either served from cache or retried from eu-west-1

This. Anybody affected wasn't doing things right. Store your data in multiple regions and AZs.

2. Lloyd

Might I suggest a slight headline tweek?

AWS users felt a great disturbance in the cloud, as millions of S3 instances cried out in terror.

1. Seajay#
      Headmaster

Re: Might I suggest a slight headline tweek?

Might I suggest a tweak to your tweak

EC2 has instances, S3 has objects and buckets

3. Reg T.

The Pentagon must have been

uploading all their sensitive super-secret shite to AWS cloud services, eh?

1. xj650t

Re: The Pentagon must have been

More likely somone was downloading all the poorly secured super-secret shite via a big pipe (TM) to Russia/NorkLand

4. PowerBenny
    Devil

Questions to ask

I've got four AWS consultants in the room with me right now. What should I ask them?

1. PowerBenny

Re: Questions to ask

I settled for just trolling them with comment like "Well, S3 never goes down though does it."

5. handleoclast

The cloud is the answer to all your problems

Or, to put it more correctly:

The cloud is the problem to all your answers.

/s

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

2/3rds of Amazon's servers are in US-east. (Source: manager with AWS) If you want availability, you must spread out--but hurry.

1. Adam 52 Silver badge

It's a valid point. If us-east-1 had a big, prolonged, outage then there would be a huge rush elsewhere and nobody knows how AWS would cope in that scenario, especially for the niche services that are only available in a few regions.

Two thirds seems high though. It also doesn't fit with other published stats about AWS AZ sizes, in theory us-east-1 can be at most 5 times us-west or eu-west.

7. Amorous Cowherder
    Boffin

You vile unbelievers!

You will perish if you dare to deny the future of IT infrastructure! The cloud is magic incarnate! The cloud is the perfect solution to all IT problems! The cloud is all seeing and all knowing! The cloud is and forever it shall be! Cast off the shackles of your locally managed services and server rooms! See the all encompassing glory of remote, hosted infrastructure Do not ever doubt the cloud in all its glorious forms!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like