back to article Check in my all-flash server-storage system? You must be mad! I'm taking it on-board

X-IO has devised a portable Axellio all-flash server/storage system that you can take on an airline, with the flash in the overhead locker and the main enclosure in checked luggage in the hold. Er, why? So disaster relief teams have the compute and storage power they need to help plan a better disaster relief response. But …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

It's all fun and games...

Until a TSA agent opens up your suitcase and asks you for the password to decrypt your 460TB of storage...

2. wallaby

only problem is my drooling over it might damage it

3. jason 7

That carry on case...

....looks a bit on the 'Carry on wanker taking the piss' large side.

4. Marc 13
    FAIL

Hand luggage its not...

The "small" container weighs 60lbs (27Kg)

A Quick look at Skyscanner* suggests most airline cabin baggage weight limits are 7 - 10kg... So you'd be limited to just Delta and Easyjet (who have no weight restrictions)

(and dims are not give, but I'd bet they're bigger than most airlines let you carry on!)

mj

*https://www.skyscanner.net/news/cabin-luggage-guide-hand-baggage-sizes-and-weight-restrictions

1. Anonymous Custard
      Headmaster

Re: Hand luggage its not...

Not to mention that most airline's hold weight limit is 20-24kg or so per item for cattle class. So you couldn't check it in on most of them, even if you wanted to.

1. Simon Harris

I would expect if you're carrying that much kit, you wouldn't be flying cattle class!

2. DJ Smiley

The option we legitimately used flying servers to/from Ireland was buying a seat for them. My boss used to tell me how he'd enjoy having the extra space, with the rack server just sat up against the window.

5. John Riddoch

Not quite so relevant for military...

The military have their own logistics for moving stuff around, including C-130s and Chinooks, so size/weight is less of a limiting factor than a "private" flyer.

Anyway, isn't everything supposed to be in the "cloud" these days? ;)

All the above said, I'm guessing there will be a niche market for these and they'll sell a handful of units, hopefully enough to recoup their R&D costs. Failing that, it'll be some expensive advertising and getting their name out & about.

6. Simon Harris
    Joke

"But wouldn’t a bunch of notebook computers be sufficient?"

Shhhh... that's what is really in the cases.

The rest of the space is so you've got somewhere to pack your change of pants.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like