back to article Astroboffins map 845 galaxies in glorious 3D, maybe dark matter too

A team led by Sydney University's Dr Caroline Foster has created three-dimensional images of 845 galaxies, claiming it is the biggest collection of of 3D galactic representations ever gathered. Created since 2013, when the Sydney Australian Astronomical Observatory Multi-object Integral Field Spectrograph (SAMI) saw first …

1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

Sloan?

So how is this different/complementary to the Sloan survey?

1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Re: Sloan?

The Sloan survey is a catalogue of galaxies by position and redshift. This is 3D models of individual galaxies.

2. Tom 7

Inferred?

It seems the 3D data is inferred from other data. My worry is the inference will be influenced by theory and suffer from a touch of confirmation bias.

3. Pen-y-gors

What does God like?

This is confusing - it seems the $deity is making lumps of rock in the shape of ducks, but now is making galaxies in the shape of potatoes. Is this a cosmic hint that we should eschew a vegan diet and live on Duck a l'orange with pommes dauphinoise?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What does God like?

Nobody mention the horsehead nebula, please.

Oh, damn.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What does God like?

Well to be fair, the 'Duck' rock, kinda looks like a potato too...

Just sayin'..

4. Sir Runcible Spoon

Sir

How long before they upload this as a VR program so I can sit inside a humongous map of the Universe?

1. Dr. G. Freeman

Re: Sir

They already did, just the scale is stuck at 1:1.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

I wouldn't mind that, as long as I could move my point of origin freely :)

2. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Check out Celestia. I'm not sure about stereo support though.

3. Ugotta B. Kiddingme

Sir Runcible Spoon: "How long before they upload this as a VR program so I can sit inside a humongous map of the Universe?"

Dr. G. Freeman: "They already did, just the scale is stuck at 1:1."

Please do NOT eat the fairy cake on your way out.

5. Alistair
    Joke

potato shaped galaxies.

hmmm

Dark Matter is the pepper on the 'tatoes?

6. Faux Science Slayer

97% of the Universe is composed of math particulates and hyperdense equations....

Odd that our current galactic model is geocentric, just like the flat Earth, celestial sphere models....

We can see 13 billion years in every direction.... Earth is the center of the Universe....

(and dark matter does not obstruct our view....science fiction force fed pablum)

1. eldakka

Re: 97% of the Universe is composed of math particulates and hyperdense equations....

Odd that our current galactic model is geocentric, just like the flat Earth, celestial sphere models....

We can see 13 billion years in every direction.... Earth is the center of the Universe....

Umm, science does not believe the Earth is the center of the Universe.

We are in the Universe, and we can only see what we can see from accessible points of references. The only one which we currently have access to is the one from our current location, our own Solar System. Therefore any 'exploration', mapping, must take place from that location outward.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 97% of the Universe is composed of math particulates and hyperdense equations....

@ Faux Science Slayer

I appreciate that science may be hard for some but it is well worth the effort to understand.

Have you ever considered playing near a black hole....?

3. Named coward

Earth is in the centre of the "observable" universe. Beyond that we cannot see...we might be in the centre or in the edge of the actual universe which might be bigger or even smaller than the region which we can see...From a scientific point of view, there's not much point in even discussing this, since it cannot be tested

4. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge
      Facepalm

Odd that our current galactic model is geocentric

All that means is that the universe is larger than the observable universe.

We can see 13 billion years in every direction

We can actually see for about 3.5x that. The universe is expanding you know.

(and dark matter does not obstruct our view....science fiction force fed pablum)

If dark matter obstructed our view (which nobody ever claimed,) we might be able to learn more about it. No such luck.

7. Winkypop Silver badge
    Coat

potato - boil 'em mash 'em stick 'em in a galaxy

SAMi

--> Elven cloak

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon