back to article 42: The answer to life, the universe and how many Cisco products have Struts bugs

More than 42 Cisco products might inherit the Apache Struts bug that emerged last week. Last Tuesday, Semmle researchers revealed the bug, which lets an attacker send a crafted request to Struts' REST API to inject malicious code. Like many vendors, Cisco long ago adopted the open-source Apache for its Web interfaces, and …

1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge
    Flame

Misleading article

This article is written in a very misleading manner. It leads you to believe that Cisco have announced that 42 products are affected by the Struts bug.

That is most definitely NOT what the Cisco advisory (currently) says:

At the time of publication, no Cisco products are known to be affected by this vulnerability.

The Cisco article just lists 42 products that are being investigated to see if they are affected by the bug. As their investigations proceed, I expect some products will be affected. But right now, no products are listed as being affected.

Tabloid journalism at its best.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Read Error

I quote from the first sentence: "More than 42 Cisco products might inherit the Apache Struts bug that emerged last week"

Note the operative word, which I now capitalize for your delectation and pleasure: "MIGHT"

1. jonjenkins

Re: Read Error

I think the title needs changing - it contains these words: "42 ... Cisco products have Struts bugs".

2. Aodhhan

Seriously

This is a common occurrence on this site.

Someone trying to get cute with 'flashy' bi-lines or oversell and article so they become stupidly liberal with it; or are just too ignorant to understand and too lazy to do a bit of research before writing.

This is why it's best to go to reference (if they provide one) or do a search to find someone who does understand the story and puts some time into writing it.

3. Alistair
    Coat

why assume this has bugger all to do with politics?

Trust me, media on *both* sides of the bullshit meter do this with absolutely every article.

The real issue is that people believe it is a (left wing) vs (right wing) battle and decide that they live on one or the other side.

1. Naselus

I don't think he meant 'liberal' in the American political sense, but rather in the 'a liberal helping of salt' sense.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like