back to article Vid game's easiest level makes players white, hardest level makes them black

Science fiction author John Scalzi once wrote that “In the role playing game known as The Real World, 'Straight White Male' is the lowest difficulty setting there is.” His words now appear to have influenced the developers of the latest video game based on TV show South Park. As the video below shows, during the game's …

1. Field Commander A9

I'm suprised they haven't got bombed yet. Maybe they just know who to NOT pissoff.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Trollface

Re : "I'm suprised they haven't got bombed yet."

Well... pissing people off is an artform !

2. jmch Silver badge
      Devil

"Maybe they just know who to NOT pissoff."

This is Southpark we're talking about. They take the piss out of EVERYBODY, so the only people not pissed off by SP are those with a god sense of humour AKA can laugh at themselves / do not take themselves too seriously, who are also of course the people least likely to even think about bombing anyone.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

They did try to use satire and display Muhammed in an episode, but Comedy Central got cold feed and censored the episode.

1. Anonymous Coward
    4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Why pissed off?

'If they select the game's easiest level, their character has white skin. At higher levels, the character's skin becomes progressively darker. “Don't worry,” says South Park character Eric Cartman during the difficulty selection process, “this doesn't affect combat, just every other aspect of your life.”'

I think that this is a superbly laconic expression of a fundamental truth about the human condition. If it pisses anyone off then it's because they're in denial about that truth.

2. Dark_Ronius

This is brilliant. I don't believe their's anything wrong with using media to make political statements, as long as it doesn't become a lecture (Charles Dickens and William Shakespeare were "SJWs" long before the acronym existed). This makes its point without needing any explanation, and entirely fitting with the humour of the show.

3. Andrew Denton 1

*"This doesn't AFFECT combat". Come on, El Reg, this is basic English.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Nolveys

Looking Forward To It

"Stick Of Truth" was great fun, featuring nazi zombie cows (voiced by old recordings of Hitler speeches), Kenny in drag summoning and occasionally being devoured by rat swarms, going on a quest up a gay man's ass and being able to play as a thief, fighter, mage or jew.

I'm sure this one will be just as off the wall.

5. DailyLlama

The Scientology one was pretty good too... "R Kelly in the closet"

1. kain preacher

Bah American dad's version of trapped in the closet was better :) SP park was just creeper.

6. Phukov Andigh Bronze badge

explains a lot

is that why the game has been delayed almost a year from its previously announced release date? some retail sources refunded their preorders. Me, I'm still waiting for October release

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like