back to article Facebook ties JavaScript code together with Yarn

Facebook, known for telling tales about users it doesn't have, has spun another sort of yarn. The ad gavage network on Thursday released Yarn 1.0, the latest update to the open source JavaScript package manager introduced last year with the help of Google, Exponent and Tilde. Yarn is an alternative to npm (Node Package …

1. Malcolm 1

We recently migrated from npm to yarn - no regrets so far - much faster and more reliable than npm (on Windows at least).

2. sabroni Silver badge
    Happy

In before....

...the old gits moaning about how you can't write proper systems in javascript.

1. martinusher Silver badge

Re: In before....

>he old gits moaning about how you can't write proper systems in javascript.

Of course you can write a proper system in Javascript. (You could even use BASIC if you felt like it.) Since we're just talking consumer applications where it doesn't really matter if the application falls over, runs at a glacial pace or locks up the platform I suppose its OK -- we just tell the user its their fault for running obsolete hardware.

(....and yes, I write code in Javascript as necessary. I just don't think of it as a 'one size fits all' solution.)

1. sabroni Silver badge

Re: Since we're just talking consumer applications

It doesn't matter if the app falls over, runs at a glacial pace or locks the platform because it's a consumer app? It's ok because it's client side? I've written lots of javascript, none of it behaved like that. Have you considered that you might be doing it wrong?

Also, Node runs on the server.

3. Missing Semicolon Silver badge
    FAIL

Dependencies

Does that mean the sites with code managed by Yarn will actually load their libraries from the site instead of the user's browser picking up chunks of code from hither and yon?

4. Cab
    WTF?

Adding to the confusion

Out of interest why is Facebook, a company presumably quite interested in data analytics and large amounts of data, releasing a software package with the same name as a much larger project run by Apache focused on such things ? Do they just hate their software dev. teams that much ? I know they don't do the same things but presumably it has potential to cause internal confusion ?

"I'm developing for Yarn, no not that one the other one."

1. Jonathan 27

Re: Adding to the confusion

First one to race to the trademark office wins.

2. Ian Michael Gumby

Re: Adding to the confusion

FB is at war w Apache... so to speak.

FB donated code... taken out of Apache because of FB T's & C's.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like