back to article Microsoft slings bulked-up Windows Defender preview at world+dog

Microsoft says its upcoming Windows 10 Creators Update will include new capabilities in the Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection security suite. Redmond says the updated Defender ATP tools are now open for public preview and will hit general availability this fall with the Creators Update. "This focused security …

1. andreas koch

You what?

8<------------------------

The new features deliver on the promise Microsoft made back in June to overhaul Defender ATP with the Creators Update to better support mobile devices . . .

------------------------->8

All 2 of them? And, as I'm typing this on a 640xl, who's the other one?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: You what?

Ah... good old Microsoft, still dreaming of the 'third ecosystem' like in 2011.

Of course, technically you could call the Surfaces 'mobile devices', but the fact is they're really just iPad wannabes and overpriced, flimsy compromises for what you could have got from HP, Dell, Lenovo etc.

2. Spacedinvader
      Happy

Hasselhoffia has owned up to being the other one a couple of posts down.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I'm a 640xl user too, and I personally know 3 more ..... so there are at least 5 of us. :)

2. Chika

Physician, heal thyself!

Detecting keyloggers, eh? Now which keylogger might be excluded from that?

Lick, lick, SLURP, SLURP.

3. Hasselhoffia

640 user here!

1. andreas koch

@ Hasselhoffia

Herzliches Beileid.

4. Gamberoni

Supporting home pc's

There doesn't seem to be anything here for those of us who support "family" and their computers. Reading between the lines it looks like there could be something useful here from a diagnostic perspective?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Supporting home pc's

There doesn't appear to be anything at all for W10 Home users, all it mentions is Server, Enterprise, Pro and Education.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I don't believe it

Redmond says the updated Defender ATP tools are now open for public preview

OK, where is the source code so we, part of the public, can do the preview? Or are they saying they want more Alpha testers from the general public?

I am assuming it is the latter rather than the former based on MSs need for Alpha testers. The point is, if this is so important to the safe working of windows then it should be the former - but then that will never happen because it would show the total ineptitude of their coders and code base.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I don't believe it

No, you sign up to the insiders program. Has been the case for many, many years.

Just like nearly every other OS, you choose if you want to be an Alpha / Beta* tester

*Ignoring bad code being released in to wild by mistake.

6. Wolfclaw

and who watches Defender, has the code been checked to what is phoning home ?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

When will we have to option to *turn off* the crappy windows10 'extras' that no one wants & that is largely responsible for all the phone-homing it does, which again nobody wants

oh right, MS has decided that all of this snooping & general fuckery is in 'our best interests' so they can bend us over some more and make us squeal

if it wasnt for the fact that a lot of games only work on the windows ecosystem, i'm willing to bet that 90%+ of home users wouldnt touch it with a 10ft barge pole

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It will continue to happen as long as SatNad is the CEO

He loves cloud and data mining stuff. Windows 10 is his playground.

If you're an Amazon user be careful too. Microsoft and Amazon have recently announced their Cortana-Alexa marriage. They will share data.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like