back to article Snoops 'n' snitches auditor IPCO gets up and running

The latest agency that audits state spying in the UK, the Investigatory Powers Commission (IPCO), formally started operating today. IPCO is the latest incarnation of the public sector snooping regulator, the body previously having been called the Interception of Communications Commissioner’s Office (IOCCO). In plain English, …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Who prevents IPCO's Networks being monitored?

I'd certainly be paranoid using their telephones and IT Network if I worked for them. What's to stop ANPR tags being used on IPCO vehicles, to monitor the monitoring etc.etc.

In a word, nothing other than "Good will". Good luck with that IPCO, pretty sure you'll be watched intently, so the powers that be, side step your every move.

Let's start now by saying this will be the most overpaid ineffectual Quango to date.

1. Roj Blake Silver badge
      Coat

Re: the most overpaid ineffectual Quango to date.

It's will be less effective than the one set up to monitor Latin American ballroom dancing and orange-flavoured drinks - the so-called Tango Quango.

2. James 51
    Big Brother

Given that the CIA hacked the computers of the US Congress oversight body, worry about that sort of thing is not paranoia.

3. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse
    Facepalm

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

“From today, and for the first time, investigatory powers will be overseen by a single body applying a consistent, rigorous and independent inspection regime across public authorities."

Excuse my cynisism but... hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha ha.

1. Snowy Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Indeed about of indepent as my left leg is from my right, may look separate but ultimately connected to the same body.

4. Harry Stottle

More Accountability Theatre...

most of their time will be spent monitoring "Security Theatre" so it is entirely appropriate that their process constitutes Accountability Theatre

5. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Gimp

When the man at the top can rule an investigation "jeopdizes the national interest"

and shut it down, it's all about the character of the man at the top.

Which means it could be very effective (in which case the snoops will move heaven and earth to get rid of them) or very ineffective (in which case he will be a b**ger to get rid of)

A fine old principle of government dating from ancient Rome and well understood by Microsoft*

*Who realized it didn't matter if you're product is s**t and the techies know it if the PHB loves you. And vice versa.

A point all IT companies who sell high spec, high tech, high cost kit should keep in mind.

6. Oh Homer
    Big Brother

Ministry of Truth

Someone should let the UK government know that Nineteen Eighty-Four is supposed to be a work of fiction.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Ministry of Truth

>Someone should let the UK government know that Nineteen Eighty-Four is supposed to be a work of fiction.

I thought 1984 was the aspirational manifesto of the Home Office.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A watchdog with its dentures removed...

A perfect way to be Seen To Be Doing Something whilst loitering on the corner, whistling, hands in pockets....

Do they really think we are that stupid?

Yes, and they are right.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like