nav search
Data Center Software Security Transformation DevOps Business Personal Tech Science Emergent Tech Bootnotes BOFH

back to article
Pacemaker patch passes probe by US watchdog

Silver badge

If I stop posting...

... after the 24th of October, you may assume the patch killed me.

Silver badge

Re: If I stop posting...

Good luck Mr Git

Silver badge

Re: If I stop posting...

Thanks Korev. Given the procedure is at the Royal Hobart Hospital Habattoir I might need it!

Silver badge

Risk?

Out of curiosity, how do they calculate those risks? The precision of the figures suggests they have identified a number of scenarios in which things might go wrong - so why haven't they fixed those scenarios? Surely we're getting into unknown unknowns territory here - which is inherently rather hard to quantify.

And what if someone has rooted their pacemaker to speed it up during rumpy-pumpy?

Silver badge

Re: Risk?

It may be there is a tiny risk, if you are female, 6ft tall and of Asian decent. i.e. something completely out of their control.

Silver badge

"And what if someone has rooted their pacemaker to speed it up during rumpy-pumpy?"
That reads rather oddly in the Australian vernacular. Rooted = fucked!

Silver badge
Linux

"t may be there is a tiny risk, if you are female, 6ft tall and of Asian decent"
But that's because the device and its control system are Linux-based. If it was Windows everyone would be at risk.

St Jude?

The patron saint of hopeless cases?

Silver badge

Re: St Jude?

"The patron saint of hopeless cases?"
Saint Jude is the patron saint of the Chicago Police Department...

Bronze badge
Happy

Re: St Jude? - patron saint of the Chicago Police Department...

So AC was on the money then.

All the best to you when you get the update.

Silver badge
Happy

Boom-didi-boom

Obligatory Xkcd Peter Sellers and Sophia Loren SFW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nTBNHwar5o

Silver badge
Terminator

Manufacturer Reason for Recall ..

"Transmitter may initiate a software reset resulting in backup operation in some implanted St. Jude Medical Radio Frequency (RF) enabled Implantable Cardioverter Assura, Unify Assura, and Quadra Assura ICDs and Assurity and Allure Pacemakers."

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

The Register - Independent news and views for the tech community. Part of Situation Publishing