back to article China to get its very own cut-price cut-down cut of vSphere

VMware's created a special cut of vSphere just for mainland China, and another for scale-out applications. The mainland-China-only* product is called “vSphere Basic” and offers just a hypervisor, vMotion and high availability features, all sold with a single CPU licence. Data protection, vShield endpoint security, fault …

1. Nate Amsden

vmotion between versions

When I upgraded 4.1 to 5.5 3 or 4 years ago I vmotioned VMs from hosts on 4.1 to hosts on 5.5. Sounds like what vmware is working on now?

Maybe it doesn't work on newer versions of vsphere, wouldn't know since I have not had a need to upgrade from 5.5 yet.

1. DougMac

Re: vmotion between versions

> When I upgraded 4.1 to 5.5 3 or 4 years ago I vmotioned VMs from hosts on 4.1 to hosts on 5.5. Sounds like what vmware is working on now?

That's always been a feature of VMware for upgrade paths. I've had VMs most likely start out life on 4.1, went to 5.5, 6.0 and to 6.5 on the same hardware without disruption. Just vmotion around the cluster as things went.

Most likely whatever was trying to be conveyed to the reporter got lost in translation, as there is nothing to "work on" for that feature, it has been a done deal for quite some time.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like