nav search
Data Center Software Security Transformation DevOps Business Personal Tech Science Emergent Tech Bootnotes BOFH

back to article
New York Police scrap 36,000 Windows smartphones

Anonymous Coward

So in reality it is Bill Bratton fault for not doing his job, instead of stopping her, he chose to avoid a situation that he would have found difficult and let her do as she wished.

Silver badge

So not only is she incompetent at her job, but apparently she's difficult to get along with if she doesn't get her way so people give in to her rather than fight her when they know she's making a mistake? That sounds like a winning combination...why does she still have that job??

Still...

You let an underling decide on a technology / supplier / etc. on a multi-million deal because she's difficult to get along with?

Honestly her boss is as much to blame as she is... More, probably.

ST
Silver badge
Devil

temper tantrum throwing twit

> So not only is she incompetent at her job, but apparently she's difficult to get along with if she doesn't get her way [ ... ]

These two things usually go together: incompetent fool who throws a tantrum if things don't go their way.

Dear Ms. Tisch:

Now would be a good time to update your Résumé.

Silver badge
Thumb Up

And here's how this entry will look on her resume

Given sole authority and supervision for multi-million dollar purchase of tens of thousands of smartphones a major pillar of New York City's overall drive to bring the NYPD into the 21st century. Integrated with existing Windows based systems via over a dozen bespoke apps. Based on departmental evaluation of the overall success of this project, immediate plans were made for another major smartphone purchase.

Its all in how you write it...it'll sound like a success to anyone who reads it so long as they don't google her :)

Silver badge

Re: And here's how this entry will look on her resume

"Its all in how you write it...it'll sound like a success to anyone who reads it so long as they don't google her :)"

And by using "reputation management services" she'll bury the bad news so deep that google searches won't show the clusterfuck unless you already knew of it.

I know of several such cases and the people involved have effectively gotten away with it scott-free.

Bronze badge

Google Vice President of Diversity...

You have a challenger for your job.

Because she is the daughter of a billionaire, that is why.

Bloomberg did a good job for NYC. The powers that be decided hey if one billionaire can do a good job, why can't another?

This indeed what happens when you let rich people who don't have any concept of the job try to do a job that they are incapable of doing.

Bloomberg did it right and got the best people, he would never have allowed her in the job in the first place.

There is a term for these types of people, but it is lost in short term memory.

Anonymous Coward

Nobody gets fired for buying Microsoft..

Those days are long gone, you now stand a very good chance of getting fired if you buy Microsoft (given how their products pretty much universally suck).

Also "Windows-based phones held just three percent of the market"

Windows phones have never had 3% of the market, 1% and under (so likely 0.3%), or perhaps this is the US market figure or something. Whatever the reason, 3% is painting a very generous position for Windows mobile, it would have loved to have a whopping 3%.

Silver badge
Devil

Re: And here's how this entry will look on her resume

it's a corollary of the 'Peter Principle'

Silver badge
Paris Hilton

Re: Nobody gets fired for buying Microsoft..

"Windows phones have never had 3% of the market"

Believe it or not, it did actually happen.

Unless someone didn't check their facts...

It probably reached that 3% just after someone bought 36,000 of them.

Thumb Down

Inherited wealth doesn't prove a thing...

Correct me if I'm wrong but she's the offspring of a billionaire? In which case, unless she's also made her personal $1,000,000,000 fortune, then she's no more brilliant than the office junior in my book.

Unless everyone thinks Bernie Ecclestone's daughters are also world class dealer makers? (clue: they're not).

If you can't walk the walk, don't talk the talk.

Perhaps her dad can foot the bill and save NYPD blowing all the taxpayers cash?

No, what can one do with 36,000 lightly used smartphones?

Silver badge

Re: temper tantrum throwing twit

<quote>Dear Ms. Tisch:

Now would be a good time to update your Résumé clear out your desk.</quote>

There

FTFY!!!!

Silver badge
Joke

RE: "Rich People"

<quote>This indeed what happens when you let rich people who don't have any concept of the job try to do a job that they are incapable of doing.</quote>

You would not be commenting on POTUS, now would you????

Anonymous Coward

After this, it will be difficult to justify allowing her to keep that job, which is likely why the former Police Commissioner let her have her way. He rightly suspected it would all go sideways. He was right.

We all know it's probably because of who she knows and being the daughter of a billionaire. Upset for good reason, you'll probably end up being the one that gets fired.

Bad but probably true.

kms

The original saying was, if I recall: Nobody ever go fired for buying IBM - But maybe they should have been.

Silver badge

"Bloomberg did a good job for NYC."

Bloomberg was proven competent before he got the NYC gig.

The children of competent people are not necessarily competent themselves.

This is particularly true with the children of the rich, who simply assume that they deserve to be rich.

You also see this kind of thing with people who work for the rich and assume that they should be treated better by society because they rub up to money and respect that they haven't earned for themselves.

Nepotism/Cronyism is a common human failing and one of the many forms of corruption "we don't talk about" unless it's done by 3rd world dictatorships.

Anonymous Coward

Bloomberg did a good job for NYC.

Bloomberg did a good job **ON** NYC. There, FTFY.

aqk
Big Brother

Re: Nobody gets fired for buying IBM..

You're right on that one.

So many times I would recommend a non-IBM piece of software or hardware, whereupon IBM-blue suits would walk in, not even look at me, and take the head of a dept or a VP out to lunch, or (better) on a junket to Las Vegas.

And strangely a few days/weeks later, we went with the inferior IBM product.

Re: Inherited wealth doesn't prove a thing...

Central Park Lake event for the kids. See how many skips you can get on the first throw!

Then a 'fishing event', complete with long handled crab nets to retrieve as many as you can, The one with the most catches, gets a year of free hotdogs.

Silver badge

NYPD Blue screen of death.

Hill Street Blue screen of death.

Sorry.

Not.

Rookie Blue the IT budget on some crappy phones.

Silver badge
Windows

"I don't care if you're Jesus fucking Christ"

Yup, definitely NYPD :)

Silver badge

Re: "I don't care if you're Jesus fucking Christ"

"I don't care what yer fucking name is, yer not dragging that fucking cross through my precinct."

Re: "I don't care if you're Jesus fucking Christ"

Hell's Kitchen maybe?

Silver badge
Facepalm

These days, you always get fired for choosing microsoft

I'm sure It's Been Mentioned somewhere a similar phrase was used in different times, relating to a different company.

Anonymous Coward

Re: These days, you always get fired for choosing microsoft

Got pretty much fired for daring to insist in an important meeting that a project should be done with linux/php instead of Windows Server/ASP that the highly paid 'systems architecture' had decided on. When a shuffle meant he became my direct boss, I was straight out the door.

18 months later they ditched ASP and started the project from scratch using the linux/php route like the other financial institutions.

Silver badge

The only positive on buying the Windows Phones was that the 640XL was about a fifth of the price of an iPhone. With discounts, probably more. Of course, she could have probably got equivalent Androids for a similar price.

Well, IBM did a marvelous job of supporting & updating a clearly failed OS/2.

And it has a really good battery life!

Silver badge

"18 months later they ditched ASP and started the project from scratch "

And your former direct boss?

Anonymous Coward

@Alan Brown: Well obviously he stayed on getting a huge pay rise and later a fortune in shares when the company got brought out before moving on by his own choosing.

Silver badge

Brilliant.

Breathtakingly bloody brilliant.

Anyone wonder why she's not working for the family firm?

Re: Brilliant.

They probably know she is incompetent and wouldn't let her work there.

Silver badge

Why does she still have that job??

The answer to this is obvious: She is a civil servant, and they have (union) jobs for life at exorbitant pay rates. Also no higher-up is willing to take the hit for hiring her in the first place.

Life goes on. So does politics.

Now all of this begs the question, can someone who is very enterprising re-purpose these "surplus" phones to be something modern (an Android port?)? You might be able to get them pretty cheaply!

Silver badge

Re: Why does she still have that job??

@ Herby

I'm sure the civil servant part is true, but it looks like this is an old fashioned case of jobs for the boys (or girls in this case).

She is the offspring of an extremely wealthy and well-connected family, and friends with the Mayor's daughter. Looks like business as usual to me.

Silver badge

@ Youngone

Yeah, Tammany Hall may have gone in the '60s but much of New York politics is still done the same way.

Silver badge

And I thought that was the preserve of Chicago.

Nah - they're covered in cop cooties.

In her case yes she is obviously overpaid. But otherwise most civil servants get paid a livable fair wage (at least where I live in Canada). Oh and yes even with a union if you fuck up enough you do get fired. The union just makes sure there is just cause and treated fairly. But I suppose you think big bad unions are so unfair protecting their workers from the whims of managers and negotiating better deals for them than those workers would get otherwise.

She might even get promoted.

The old Daley days are long gone and sure there are some hangers on. But, for the most part, the old timers are retired (or left).

Silver badge
Devil

perhaps for the same reason THIS person still has HER job:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julie_Larson-Green

inventor of "The Metro" "The Ribbon" and "one windows, everywhere"

Silver badge

"The answer to this is obvious: She is a civil servant, and they have (union) jobs for life at exorbitant pay rates."

Not union at that level. That kind of incompetence is Management material.

Silver badge

It doesn't beg the question. It prompts it. To beg the question is to build the answer into the question (e.g. 'have you stopped beating your wife' suggests that you already do), thus 'beggaring' the question and forcing a response built on the terms you have already built in. It is a specific rhetorical device.

And now i feel much better, thank you.

Silver badge
Joke

<quote>That kind of incompetence is Management Manglement material.</quote>

FTFY

Silver badge

"The union just makes sure there is just cause and treated fairly."

If there _is_ just cause, most unions(*) will say as much and refuse to support the worker's case. It's not in their interests to damage the employer.

(*) Most unions are well under the radar and have good relations with their employers. Many have never had industrial action in their entire existence. The ones you read about are either up against asshole management or has assholes leading the union. It's more usually the former than the latter, however once the former take hold of a company, the latter can end up with a foothold in the union.

Anonymous Coward

Not union at that level. That kind of incompetence is Management material.

And if she *does* get fired she could go one county north and get a job at IBM. (nah, even **she's** probably too competent for *that* job.)

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

The Register - Independent news and views for the tech community. Part of Situation Publishing