back to article Enterprises gooey for Windows 10 as OS helps Computacenter rake it in

Computacenter is paying £100m in dividends to shareholders after reporting a double-digit rise in profits on the back of a sales spike that was in part boosted by Windows 10 implementations. According to unaudited numbers for the first half of 2017, revenue leaped 15 per cent year-on-year to £1.7bn with a 12.9 per cent upward …

1. johnnyblaze

Cowboys

If Computacenter can make money off the back Windows 10 upgrades, despite being a bunch of shyster cowboys - maybe there's a chance for the rest of us. Why, oh why Windows 10 and the cloud though? Two things that, at some point are guaranteed to come crashing down in spectacular style. In truth, MS just aren't giving anyone any choice if you want/need to stay with Windows. You either install their steaming pile of horse sh*t O/S so they keep supporting/patching/fixing it while you act as an unpaid beta tester, or you go elsewhere. Come to think of it, elsewhere sounds pretty interesting....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Cowboys

" In truth, MS just aren't giving anyone any choice if you want/need to stay with Windows. You either install their steaming pile of horse sh*t O/S so they keep supporting/patching/fixing it while you act as an unpaid beta tester, or you go elsewhere. Come to think of it, elsewhere sounds pretty interesting...."

Actually, according to your own quantifier - " if you want/need to stay with Windows.", then there is only one option. The rest of it is you trying to sneak a Linux is Better than Windows message into you're statement without coming over all fanboy.

Overall, 3/10, requires more considered thought and a much better delivery. Fanboy is obvious fanboy..

1. Teiwaz
        FAIL

Re: Cowboys leaps tall conclusion with single bound.

Overall, 3/10, requires more considered thought and a much better delivery. Fanboy is obvious fanboy..

Could be a FreeBSD user or someone encouraging an apple enjoyment.

Clearly either are as much a likelyhood as 'Linux - especially as the user is as much 'unpaid beta tester' as the modern Windows user.

'Another option' is a nice glass of Wine should it go down well and be the right vintage.

Touchy Windows user with a raw wound and light-headed from the telemetry sucking is obvious.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Cowboys

says a disgruntled ex employee who isn't missed

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I don't see any pick up of Windows 10 adoption in the US. Most people seem to be avoiding it for as long as possible, hoping that one of the mobile or Chrome OSs gets up to snuff before they are forced on to 10. Europe likes old stuff though so Windows may be more popular over there.

1. ab-gam

Unless I run into a serious compliance issue with 7 Pro, I'm not planning a 10 Pro migration until Q3-Q4 2019. If 10 gets patched to keep the Start button working, I'll entertain a faster timeline. I'm just not big on having to put Classic Shell (or similar) on a box to keep the Start button from going non-responsive.

Right now, 10 is only coming in on hardware that I cannot get pre-loaded with 7 Pro.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. N2

Upgrade?

I would question that.

5. Snorlax Silver badge
    Linux

Something's missing

"linux....linux....hnurrr...data slurp...linux...herp derp derp..."

Are all the linux trolls still in bed or something?

I thought they woulda been all over an article about Windows 10 like flies on dog crap.

6. JimboSmith Silver badge

Sir Peter Ogden owns 6.5 per cent of the company, and was the 15th richest person in Britain according to the Sunday Times Rich List with an estimated wealth of £350m, albeit down £20m and one place from the 2016 version. ®

Actually Sir Peter Ogden was the 336th= richest person in Britain (Sir Peter Ogden entry) The list you linked to was for those associated with motorsport and he is listed there because he owns part of Donnington Park.

For completeness/comparison Sir Philip Hulme was 537th= richest person in Britain

(Sir Philip Hulme entry)

7. Anonymous Coward
    Windows

I wuv you MSFT

Yes, my organisation is concurrently running programmes of back-office migration to Azure, Windows 10 rollout with Office 365 for productivity and collaboration and Intune for mobis.

1. Roopee Bronze badge

Re: I wuv you MSFT

Were you hoping for a round of applause?

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: I wuv you MSFT

"Were you hoping for a round of applause?"

Or sympathy?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like