back to article IT worker used access privs to steal £1m from Scottish city council

A former council IT worker in Scotland has been jailed for five years after abusing his system access privileges to help himself to more than £1m of public money. Mark Conway, 52, of Latch Road, Brechin, around 25 miles northeast of Dundee, was jailed today by the High Court in Glasgow after pleading guilty to defrauding …

Page:

1. DNTP

Scotsman steals a million pounds?

No true Scotsman would steal a million pounds.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Scotsman steals a million pounds?

Nope, they'd keep going and aim for at least ten.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

So it's true! If a Scotsman says he's not stealing a little, he must be stealing a lot.

1. Mark 110

I thought Scots were supposed to be tight not thieves. Its us scousers that are supposed to be light fingered with a particular penchant for car wheels for some unfathomable reason . . .

1. Steve K

Calm down, calm down ;-)

(I can't do the accent)

2. Huw D
            Coat

Is it true that the housing market is that bad in Liverpool that they're only using half the amount of bricks that they used to for jacking up the cars?

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

I remember some years ago spending the night at a big chain hotel in Liverpool - the TV remote was screwed down to the bedside cabinet. Didn't stop some scouser breaking it to knick the batteries though

3. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

I thought copper wire was invented by two scotsmen fighting over a penny?

2. ijustwantaneasylife

Because?...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Seizing his pension?

How does that help the world? On the basis that he's 52 and got five years, he won't work again for the next few years, and because he's got more than four years, the conviction will never become "spent" in disclosure terms.

Realistically, he's never going to work again in anything other than a very junior position with a very forgiving employer. Or more likely, he's never going to work again. Ignoring whether he deserves it, my point is simply that one way or another the tax payer pays for his retirement, so seizing his pension merely means the welfare pot pays for his retirement.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Seizing his pension?

What else can you do? It's done as a deterrent, would you rather live on a decent pension or on welfare? If it's the former, then don't steal.

2. Just Enough

They're talking about taking his work pension. He will still qualify for a state pension, which he'd qualify for regardless. So the tax-payer will still be paying for his retirement whether he was a criminal or not. (Or more precisely, his national insurance contributions will be notionally paying for it).

The fact that he'll probably be on benefit until retirement age is unfortunate, but what are the alternatives? Pretend he doesn't owe the money back? Either way, he'll be dirt poor for the rest of his life and the only winners are the bookies who, no doubt, pocketed most of the stolen money.

3. Bob Vistakin
      Holmes

His jail time will be fun. Lags pay tax too, and he's now the million quid target...

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Cruel and unusual punishment, have you seen how small the state pension is? He will be reduced to begging on the streets the skirt wearing thieving git. I hope the good citizens kick him every time they see him begging because they now have to make up the difference.

5. rmason

As has been said; what else can they do but seize whatever assets he has?

At least it means he'll only get a few quid a week and not his final salary council pension.

On a similar note..

He stole a million quid.

They expect to raise 50k from the sale of his house. What the actual fuck did he do with the money? What a fool.

1. Bob Vistakin
        Facepalm

"What the actual fuck did he do with the money?" - it says he gambled it away straight into the bookies pockets.

1. TitterYeNot

"What the actual fuck did he do with the money? - it says he gambled it away straight into the bookies pockets."

Tolerant as I am of the addiction exploiting thieving bastards gambling industry, I'd be of a mind to get the money back from the bookies, otherwise charge them with handling stolen goods.

Yes yes, I know, it could never happen, but a nice thought...

1. John Savard

Yes, you can't charge people with handling stolen goods if it's money that was stolen. That's to ensure that people are willing to accept money when it's tendered in order to purchase something, so that money will "work" as money. I remember seeing a mention of the specific age-old law at the start of a book on economics.

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Do prisoners get NI credits towards their pension?

3. RegGuy1 Silver badge

Sold his home

his home is also being sold to raise a further £49,000.

It must have been in an expensive part of Dundee.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Sold his home

Similar to seizing pension, perhaps this is short sighted.

Council could rent home out whilst he's in prison and let him live his days out when out, hopefully back in employment. Then when dead sell home or WHY. As it is, it looks like state will be supporting him from now on.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Sold his home

Prison has to be a far better place to be than Dundee.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

Ceartas!

All patriots who have been victims of yoon injustice will be given a royal pardon by Nicola, Queen of Scots, when Scots take our FREEDOM! in 2019, an SNP supporter told me earlier today.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Ceartas!

victims of yoon injustice will be given a royal pardon by Nicola, Queen of Scots

Won't she be taking the name "Jeanette" when she becomes queen? Or "Wee Jimmie" is she chooses to become king, in these gender fluid days.

1. Stratman

Re: Ceartas!

Mary Doll

5. Anonymous IV
    Happy

That's all right, then...

> Dundee City Council said in a statement: "Following the discovery of this crime, Dundee City Council has taken action to prevent a fraud of this type from happening again in the future."

Well done, chaps and ms-chaps! Lessons have been learned. Nothing can ever go wrong, now...

Back to the office for tea and medals.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: That's all right, then...

Well done, chaps and ms-chaps!

What about it-chaps?

Wouldn't want to hurt anybody's feelings, would we?

1. handleoclast
        Coat

I figured out the best way to deal with these gender pronoun issues.

Just use "fuckface." As in "Oi, fuckface, stop twatting around with these bloody silly pronouns."

Works every time.

Gets me fired, every time.

2. kain preacher

IT ? It? You fucking asshole no trans person wants to be called it. They wanted to be treated like human. Very even want you to use gender neutral pronouns. I'm a person not a thing.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I'm an IT guy.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

You are as guilty of bigotry as the original poster. There is no place for swearing here. It's just as offensive to me in the same way you find anti-LGBeTc to be. It's this nastiness in language in the connected world that leads to the world being the way it is and allows idiots like Trump into power.

Think before you react.

3. Roopee Bronze badge
        Alien

Re: What about it-chaps?

I read that linked page and found it hard to believe it wasn't taking the piss! I nearly said "extracting the Michael" but then I realised it might be offensive to our border-sharing European partners. Or men, or anyone called Michael.

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

Re: What about it-chaps?

That says more about you than the entirely sensible advice on that page.

6. EveryTime

He got away with siphoning money for seven years.

You only have to be slightly better to get away with it indefinitely. Try rotating schemes every few years. Confuse the issue by gradually making the fake company legitimate. Even if it's only for the last payment, and you immediately dissolve it, that will stop most accountants from looking too closely at the previous payments.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Even if it's only for the last payment, and you immediately dissolve it, that will stop most accountants from looking too closely at the previous payments"

I'm getting a bit worried about you, EveryTime. Is there anything you need to 'fess up?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Poachers and gamekeepers are often interchangeable roles.

2. Roland6 Silver badge
      Pint

>You only have to be slightly better to get away with it indefinitely.

Like use a business bank account rather than a personal account?

1. rmason

Indeed.

Had he setup "randomcompany 1234 LTD trading as scottish fuel" and a basic business account they probably would have looked no further, shrugged and said "glad we don't use them any more" and moved on. Make ANYONE but you the director of the "company". Job done. it took them 7 years to spot a million quid going missing FFS, so they hardly have access to the finest maths minds of this generation.

It's not like your average council aren't getting ripped off at every possible opportunity. They would have wasted no more time on it than they would looking into why a mouse and KB set cost them 150 quid.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

>so they hardly have access to the finest maths minds of this generation.

In my experience accounting isn't so much about math as basic book work - check, double check and cross reference the paper trail...

Which is basically how he was found out; someone probably went to the paper files, couldn't find the paperwork that would normally be associated with a general ledger entry and contacted the bank for the account contact details ...

2. Alan Brown Silver badge

"They would have wasted no more time on it than they would looking into why a mouse and KB set cost them 150 quid."

My experience is that they spend more time looking at the small purchases than the stonking big ones.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"My experience is that they spend more time looking at the small purchases than the stonking big ones."

An apocryphal example was the boardroom voting on various financial matters. Complex items of several million pounds were nodded through quickly. Then came the quote for repainting the bicycle shed. The discussion went on for a long time - as it was an issue that everyone actually understood and had an opinion on.

7. chivo243 Silver badge
    Holmes

Hate to be his IT superior

There must be some questions asked of his superiors? Must have been a hot seat at one time.

1. kain preacher

Re: Hate to be his IT superior

IT or accounting ? I'm not sure I'd expect IT to be so good at catching these things .

8. TDog

It seems both cruel and counterproductive

Just out of curiosity how many councillors have had their houses seized; with or without being found corrupt?

9. JJKing
    Coat

Jail, hmm?

At least he didn't get off Scot free.

Jimmy, mine's the one without the fried Mars bar in the pocket.

10. Roopee Bronze badge
    FAIL

Failure and Incompetence

Similarly to @TDog, as an ex-accountant my first thought was "I wonder how many senior council accountants and directors of the external auditors are going to have their huge pensions and houses seized to pay for their obvious failures and incompetence?".

11. david 12 Silver badge

Can't happen again. Now. WTF were the doing for the last 10 years? Where's the asset recorded against the expense? Who's checking the double-entry book keeping? Do they think that self-authorized theft is a new invention? That gambling-related theft is a new thing? Did they think it all?

Was this amount of money so small compared to management wages that they didn't think it was important to follow up?

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

"Where's the asset recorded against the expense?"

This is one of those cases where "fuel purchases" mean people get more lax about checking it.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Och Aye the Noo

Gaol or living in Dundee.

How does one tell the difference?

- roons awa'

13. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

So he have lost his house, pension, and work.

And the prospects of employment is looking very, very poor.

What will his options be?

1. Suicide

2. Steal money, gamble and hope to strike the jackpot

3. Go around as a homeless beggar

In this case crime does not pay, but others will ignore the lesson and try their luck, thinking that maybe, just maybe, they will not get caught.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like