back to article Samsung gains ground on smartphones

Following a rocky year of recalls and other exciting events, Gartner has found that phone-slinger Samsung could be doing quite well. Samsung sold about 82,535 smartphone units in the second quarter of 2017, compared to about 76,744 in the second quarter of 2016, according to Gartner research. Gartner analyst Anshul Gupta told …

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Numbers?

82,535 units in a quarter? So around 320,000 a year? That's hardly going to pay the bills…

1. Schultz
      Boffin

Re: Numbers?

We must assume that the article talks about kPhones. Then the numbers would be in the ballpark of the 2016 shipments, i.e., some 90 MegaPhones for Samsung in Q4, 2016.

1. Jedit Silver badge
        Coat

"some 90 MegaPhones in Q4, 2016."

I didn't realise the megaphone was a unit of measurement. No wonder they're so noisy on the bus.

(Mine's the one with a Note 4 in the pocket...)

1. djstardust

Re: "some 90 MegaPhones in Q4, 2016."

Yes, apart from wireless charging and a slightly better camera, the new Samsung models aren't much better than the note 4. I have two of them and they are one of the best handsets ever made.

Negatives: Edge display (a gimmick that shouldn't be on a supposedly business class device), the stretched screen resolution (what's wrong with 1920x1080?) and no removable battery.

Oh .... and today's extortionate pricing.

No thanks Samsung.

1. cambsukguy

Better camera - meh

Wireless charging - would not touch anything without it.

1. Tom 38

Wireless charging - would not touch anything without it.

Isn't that the point?

2. James 51

Know someone who has an S6. The USB port is gone but can still charge thanks to wireless charging so I guess it does have its uses.

3. Ian Joyner Bronze badge

Aggression in emerging markets

Having been in Asia lately, I observed that in Bangkok Airport there are Samsung signs up all over the place. Same thing at Kathmandu airport and then in Kathmandu itself. Samsung's aggression is causing visual pollution and taking away from the attractiveness of these places. Unfortunately, this seems to work for them (along with other nasty marketing tactics) and many people in Nepal using Samsung.

But another flight to Lhasa in Tibet where such visual pollution is controlled by the Chinese, most people seem to be able to think for themselves and choose iPhone - hardly any Samsungs seen.

Technically, companies like Samsung could kill innovation by using open source work. This is actually the opposite of what most open source contributors want, but they are unwittingly feeding this system:

http://ianjoyner.name/Open_Source.html

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge
      WTF?

Re: Aggression in emerging markets

You've got a massive chip on your shoulder.

1. Ian Joyner Bronze badge

Re: Aggression in emerging markets

Charlie Clark: "You've got a massive chip on your shoulder."

No just pointing out the truth of the matter.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Does Samsung make Windows Phones?

If they want my Lumia phone, they can take it from my cold, dead hands

5. dmacleo

just got s7 edge, miss ir blaster (had s5 but kitten knocked it off table shattered screen) and liking it. disabled stupid edge screen crap customized launcher way I wanted.

considered s8 but price difference was issue.

over the years have had multiple motorola droids, lg droids, and samsung droids. samsung just fits MY needs the best.

choice is good.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like