nav search
Data Center Software Security Transformation DevOps Business Personal Tech Science Emergent Tech Bootnotes BOFH

back to article
Codename Brainwave: Microsoft reveals tricks and tips for whipping cloud FPGAs into shape

Skynet anyone ?

How long before the Internet wakes up?

Gold badge
Unhappy

so very hand for implementing deep packet inspection without a performance hit.

Let's see if anyone else finds it's as useful as claimed.

Silver badge
Boffin

Ker-ching!

Bitcoin mining algorithm in FPGA cloud-array anyone?

Silver badge

More FLAs please

Would it have hurt to mention anywhere what FPGA stood for? Even in passing? Or is it if you don't know you shouldn't be reading this?

Re: More FLAs please

For the benefit of anyone wondering, it stands for Field Programmable Gate Array and they are basically fancy chips that can reprogram themselves on the fly.

They are used in high end networking kit, and if memory serves, someone quite a few years ago hooked up a proto-machine learning algo to some with the goal of transmitting a message between two points. They returned to find the message being sent and received, but could not work out how it was occuring until they realised the FPGAs had reconfigured themselves in a primitive radio.

Silver badge

Bah!

Ah, yet another implied redefinition of "AI".

Still no HAL though.

Re: Bah!

HAL is a software layer sitting above the FPGA.

And, yes, I am deliberately "missing" the intent of your comment.

Silver badge
Holmes

Takes me back...

Circa 1985 I used a FPGA to implement a bubble-sort algorithm in my final year at Uni. It ran quick too...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

The Register - Independent news and views for the tech community. Part of Situation Publishing