back to article Microsoft president exits US govt's digital advisory board as tech leaders quit over Trump

Tech leaders today resigned from the US government's digital economy advisory board over President Trump's inability to unequivocally condemn racists. So far, confirmed resignations include executive chairwoman of the Mozilla Foundation Mitchell Baker; president of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

In fairness to Trump...

Mitchell Baker was only allowed in because Trump had a dog called Bowser when he was a kid, and he thought that's what Mitchell was actually talking about. When the president had the facts fully explained to him, he couldn't understand any of them, so couldn't see a place for Mozilla.

1. Oh Homer
      Pint

Survey sez...

Trump will not last a full term.

And by that I mean school term.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Trump has a democratic mandate to remain in office and to represent ALL Americans who voted for him. None of these CEOs have a democratic mandate so are in no position to make such demands. Trump has been working to improve the condition of ordinary Americans who voted for him. Evidently this doesn't align with the plans of this clique who intend to continue maximising their incomes at the expense of ordinary Americans and non-Americans alike. A protest by a handful of maligned, powerless individuals is a lame excuse for shirking responsibility. Rules are needed to regulate the powerful not the powerless.

If these CEOs are turning their back on ordinary Americans, it's time American workers showed some unity against them.

1. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

"Trump has been working to improve the condition of ordinary Americans who voted for him."

Riiiiiiiight...

Some are more gullible than others, it seems.

Sure as hell keeps up the tweeting though! One of the leading tweeter twats of the world, for sure!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It is the utmost duty of the President to make simple one-sided analyses of events, and not to complicate issues with facts and reason. Simplistic 'them and us' must be preserved.

Moral high ground must be maintained.

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Because driving cars in to pedestrians is such a normal and reasonable action to take?

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Re: driving cars in to pedestrians

According to a lot of those on the extreme right, it is because it will 'Make America Great'.

It might very well end up uniting the anti-right protestors into a single coherent unit.

If that happens then the hard right may well have bitten off more than they can chew and they'll head for them there hills and their enclaves.

Perhaps a wall should be built around them? Then they can have their little bit of utopia leaving the rest of the population in peace.

Will it happen?

Probably not.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

> It might very well end up uniting the anti-right protestors into a single coherent unit

Even better, it seems to be splitting the loose unity of the right. Some of the 'not quite so far right' are very unhappy with the far right, their extremism, extreme violence, and racist hate.

The 'less than extreme' are finding they have been tarred by the same brush and they do not like that one bit.

It even looks like the juveniles of the Alt-Right may be waking up to realising it's more than just shits and giggles, making snowflakes cry. It involves murder. 'Pepe the Frog was funny' but they don't find having blood on their hands quite so amusing.

1. Ian Michael Gumby
            Flame

Even better, it seems to be splitting the loose unity of the right. Some of the 'not quite so far right' are very unhappy with the far right, their extremism, extreme violence, and racist hate.

Seriously WTF?

Dude,

Perhaps you didn't get the memo, but the event scheduled in Charlottesville wasn't set to be for a single group. There were 'alt-right', 'neo nazis', KKK and other hate groups. There were also people there who wanted to protect the statues and also represent free speech. It wasn't a single group.

On the left, protesting them, you had people who were protesting the hate groups along with BLM and Antifa protesters looking for a fight. Even Couric and her team of producers were attacked by Antifa.

There was no single group on either the right or the left.

This is why Trump's comments condemning the violence may not make sense to a simpleton like you who can only think in binary terms.

At the same time, the MSM, Democrats, anti-Trump politicians have jumped on his comments. While many in the 'alt-right' have adopted Trump and his platform, it doesn't mean that's what Trump was saying.

Today, there was a commentator who said that the Democratic party is using this as a distraction so that Trump can't get anything done, so that in 2018, they can tell people to vote Democratic. Seriously, this is a valid opinion because there is a pattern of distraction.

So wake up and smell the coffee.

You are being played if you don't think that there are violent extremists on both sides of the aisle. Sure its easy to hate a neo-nazi scumbag. But don't forget about the extreme on the left. BLM has called for the death of police officers and several radials have ambushed and killed police officers in Dallas, Louisiana, NYC, and now Florida along with other incidents. The most recent attack in Florida was committed by a man who claimed to be a moor, which is a black extremist group.

To be clear, no one condones the act of the mentally unstable guy who was even unfit for the Army. Well maybe some of his neo nazi brethren and ISIS.

But you need to realize that you too are part of the problem.

You want to head down the slippery slope where you start to condemn speech you don't like.

Ask yourself where it ends...

Grow up and learn to listen and try to understand what is being said and to not fall in to the trap of violence. You're getting played by both sides.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Perhaps a wall should be built around them? Then they can have their little bit of utopia leaving the rest of the population in peace.

I may have an easier solution. Kushner has apparently massive problems filling his 666 Fifth Avenue building to the point that there seems to be serious doubt about his ability to pay off the loans he got to finance the buy (some vicious rumours even suggest that Qatar pulling back from helping him out may have prompted their current problems).

Given the fantastically appropriate house number I would propose we ship every single one of that lot to that building and then lock the door and kill power to the lifts. They can stay there for all I care, and the costs can be recovered from the money made illegally by Kushner and Trump while in office.

Just an idea..

3. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"It might very well end up uniting the anti-right protestors into a single coherent unit."

A day after your post we see a few far-right "free speechers" in Boston being drowned out by up to 10,000 anti-far-right protesters exercising their right to free speech. Yayyyy!

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Boston?

Yayyyy!

Have you actually seen the footage?

F*ck me, I hate the far right but what actually makes you believe the behaviour of the others is acceptable. Violently attacking them, getting pepper sprayed by the police because they can't control themselves.

An eye for an eye makes everyone blind.

You can't take the moral high ground when you act like tw*ts, behaviour like that allows the far right to justify driving a car into anti-protesters.

F*cking idiots, all of them.

1. Mark 110

Re: Boston?

"F*ck me, I hate the far right but what actually makes you believe the behaviour of the others is acceptable. Violently attacking them, getting pepper sprayed by the police because they can't control themselves."

I am not a violent man. And in life I attempt to address racism with reasoned argument. But seriously!!!! You expect me to react with anything other than anger and violence to a rally of people attempting to denigrate my loved ones because of the colour of their skin. Have you listened to their rhetoric?

The fact is they should be dealt with by the law. If the law fails to deal with them and allows them to espouse such views in public then what are the options?

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

The options are using your vote, petitioning politicians, if there is enough people and clearly there is then start your own political movement. Peaceful protest (which works btw, I would quote history but do I really need to?)

If you resort to violence then you are saying violence is acceptable and guess what happens then? The other side who already see violence as being acceptable (driving a car into people) are vindicated in their minds and as this is the good old gun carrying us of a what exactly do you think is going to happen at the next rally? It's going to be f*cking bloodbath and then who do we blame? It's difficult to blame someone for protecting themselves even if their rhetoric is f*cking awful.

By all means protest, by all means shout abuse at these nut jobs, by all means block them peacefully, stand in their way but the one thing you can't and shouldn't do is attack them violently because that makes you no better than them.

1. strum

I'm a peaceable man, who would much prefer peaceful methods to oppose those who would drag us into the gutter. But, I live on Cable Street, London (USANIANs Google it) and have regular reminders that it wasn't reasoned argument that stopped Mosley's fascists. it wasn't a vote and it wasn't a legal challenge. It was the fists of angry Eastenders humiliating Mosley's 'strongmen', consigning fascism in Britain to the margins, for the 80 years since.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Have you actually seen the footage?

F*ck me, I hate the far right but what actually makes you believe the behaviour of the others is acceptable. Violently attacking them, getting pepper sprayed by the police because they can't control themselves."

Yes, I have. Considering the numbers of people involved, it was remarkably calm and peaceful, finishing with what Al Jazeera report described as a party or picnic atmosphere.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us-canada-40990834/boston-demonstrations-how-the-day-unfolded

00:59 - Right wing nut job with head cut after being chased.

01:14 - Police use mace spray against anti-protesters.

This is the BBC who are the most left leaning news reporter in the UK.

Did they have scones and tea at this picnic? I'm seeing something different for obvious reasons that are clear in the video.

Now we can all argue the semantics about who is right or who is wrong all day long but violence will result in more violence.

I don't care if people downvote what I write because at the end of the day I know I'm right and I'll be proven I'm right when these fuckwits shoot anti-protesters at the next rally.

One thing that does strike me as odd is why is this now getting attention? These idiots have been around for years, what's changed? I don't like the wig wearing wanker in white house but by doing this the press are playing into his hands.

1. Ian Michael Gumby
                  Megaphone

@AC Re: Boston?

One thing that does strike me as odd is why is this now getting attention? These idiots have been around for years, what's changed? I don't like the wig wearing wanker in white house but by doing this the press are playing into his hands.

I up voted you because you're correct.

What people don't want to believe or understand that under Obama, the hate groups on both sides of the aisle grew. On the right, there isn't a single group. 'alt-right' , 'neo-nazis', KKK, etc all grew and some members belong to multiple groups. On the left, the violence of antifa grew because it was tolerated and allowed. BLM was started during Obama who also interjected in to racial issues like the Treyvon Martin incident and Ferguson.

The hate groups on the right co-opted Trump's message. They are willfully misinterpreting Trump's 'Make America Great Again' to promote their hate filled agendas. (remember there are multiple fringe groups).

The reason you see this blowing up is that the MSM, and the Democrats have been against Trump from the get go. They have manufactured incident after incident as a way to derail Trump and slowing his ability to make changes so that in 2018, they can point to a lack of change and then try to persuade people to vote them back in.

BTW, that is Trump's real hair. Its called a comb over.

And its not that they are playing in to his hands, but that they are playing the masses to promote their own agenda.

2. strum

>I don't care if people downvote what I write because at the end of the day I know I'm right

I'm downvoting, partly because you're wrong, but also because you're an arrogant arsehole.

2. Ian Michael Gumby
            Boffin

@John Brown ... Re: driving cars in to pedestrians

Since you brought up Boston....

1) Unlike Charlottesville, the police did their job. Anything that could be used as a weapon wasn't allowed. No backpacks either.

2) The Charlottesville organizer reported that the buses that they rented to take them to the rally wasn't allowed to stop at the planned starting point and was rerouted to the side where the protesters were. Think about that for a second.

3) Even with few event attendees, there was still violence. There's video of an Antifa member grabbing the flag out of the hands of a woman who was peacefully protesting. Other protesters helped keep the peace, yet some of the Antifa protesters were arrested for attacking the police.

In addition, I suggest you find some commentary from people like Dr. MLKs daughter who condemn the violence, including on the part of Antifa and BLM.

Also BLM has gone beyond fighting to expose police violence against minorities and have added an Anti--Israel plank to their platform.

The best thing you can do is to avoid these protesters and condemn hate and violence from both sides.

4. Ian Michael Gumby
          Flame

@Steven Davies the turd [sic]... Re: driving cars in to pedestrians

You sir, are part of the problem.

No one condones the action of that insane moron. Well maybe some of the Hitler Youth or ISIS.

What makes America great is that you can have a difference of opinion. Unfortunately under Obama, unless you were expressing a PC opinion, its ok to get violent and to shout you down. Hence the rise in all of these groups. Obama was not only the greatest gun salesman, but also gave a boost to the Antifa movement, allowed for the creation of the BLM and added fuel to the 'alt-right' / 'white supremacist' and racial bigots. (There 's a fringe group calling themselves moors..) I suggest you actually do some homework and you can see the rise in these groups over the past eight years.

The best thing you can do is to shut up and learn about the issue before you take a knee jerk position.

Free clue:

Did you ever think that the 'alt right' , 'neo-nazi' and 'white supremacists' are playing the violent left?

One commentator suggested that by scheduling these events, making twitter and FB comments about being prepared for violence and to bring their weapons 'for self-defense'... and saying things that 99.99% of the rest of us find vulgar, distasteful, all to rile us up so that some mental midgets are going to show up looking for a fight?

Those who attend these events to protest, violently, are playing in to their hands. The best thing we can do is to ignore them, and then counter protest where people don't fight or propose supremacy of one race or religion over another. Condemn both the Right and Left fringe groups and focus on what we need to do to make America Great again.

But no, that clue is lost on you.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: @Steven Davies the turd [sic]... driving cars in to pedestrians

Organised racism is actually illegal in many parts of the world. Guess what that makes Nazism?

5. Ian Michael Gumby
          Flame

@Steven Davies the turd [sic]... Re: driving cars in to pedestrians

Building a wall is actually a good thing.

Its amazing that people need to set up boundaries and the physical wall does just that. Trump isn't against immigration, his current wife is an immigrant. He's against illegal immigration. Protecting our borders to allow controlled entrance/egress is important to the safety of our country.

The best example why... just look at Europe today... Just look at this year's recent terror attacks. Spain, France, Germany, the UK, and even Sweden.

(I expect to be down voted by those who don't understand what I am saying)

The H1-B program needs to be revamped because of the rampant fraud and abuse.

The H2-B program should have been kept in to place, however, greater protection should have been put in place to protect the guest workers.

For full disclosure, I own a farm that I rent out to a commercial grower. Their H2-B visa workers are taken care of... there is housing as well as care for their families, which is in part why we have had a long term relationship. I have seen their houses/dorms on a local farm. I also have seen some abuses against other workers and mobile crews. This is why I believe revamping and improving these programs is important.

Its very easy for mental midgets like you who don't take the time to learn the whole story before making a knee jerk comment. What you see is a very complex issue and you're over simplifying it as a way to justify your rage.

2. I3N
        Facepalm

And that "All Lives Splatter"

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
          Unhappy

"All Lives Splatter"

Agreed it's inappropriate, insensitive and no doubt offensive to a lot of people.

But isn't part of some of you also thinking "Nice troll" and "all lives splatter. Genius."

Of course you're ashamed of such thoughts, but it doesn't stop you having them.

It's only a problem if you start agreeing with them.

1. Ian Michael Gumby
            Thumb Up

Re: "All Lives Splatter"

Funny you should say that.

Trump made a comment... "We all bleed RED". I think its something we can all agree to and its a start.

Your comment may have been said in jest, however its appropriate, even if its a bit of dark humor.

T

3. blueyon

It's like blaming all the football supporters of one side for the stupidity of one of them. A few different groups turned up. Some turned up for violence but one man took it to far.

This is just another media attack on trump just like the Russia probe. It's boring move on.

4. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Because driving cars in to pedestrians is such a normal and reasonable action to take?

I wonder if he just wasn't very good at parking. We've all been there - the stress of manoeuvring a large car with poor visibility into a small space when there's loads of people around just watching.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I wonder if he just wasn't very good at parking.

Oww. That's the "bleak sarcasm of the week" award taken care of :).

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yeah lets stick to facts,

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-barcelona-attack-response-general-john-pershing-tweet-muslim-pig-blood-bullets-a7899206.html

Hows that high ground now?

1. Chika
        Alert

Note: The link shown links to a site that actively blocks users running ad blockers.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I think some people here may need to adjust their sarcasm meters.

Or at least, I very much hope so.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Sarcasm

The problem is the last statement "Moral high ground must be maintained" as that cements the post as in favour of el presidente nobscratchio.

1. Mark 110

Re: Sarcasm

"The problem is the last statement "Moral high ground must be maintained" as that cements the post as in favour of el presidente nobscratchio."

Nope. That was confirmation of the sarcastic nature of the post. I was wondering until then. You need one of those sarcasm detection bots . . .

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Have these downvoters had a sarcasm bypass?

5. Ian Michael Gumby
      Boffin

Lets put things in to perspective.

First,

Trump condemned both sides for their part in the violence. To ignore the violence from BLM and Antifa members is to condone and legitimize their actions. To perpetuate that its ok to proactively attack someone or something you disagree with claiming self defense. (You can google many accounts of antifa members saying this.)

Is he trying to equate the evil of hate, bigotry and violence found in the 'alt-right' , 'White Supremacists' with that on the left? No. However that doesn't mean that both groups have shown evil and violent behavior.

At the same time, there is this thing called the First Amendment, There have been several key SCOTUS decisions during the 20th century that deal with the Freedom of Speech and what denotes hate speech. While many disagree with the message from either the 'alt-right' or the 'alt-left' and condemn violence, they do have the right to voice their opinion, regardless of how misguided it is.

With respect to the President's council, it has been disbanded. Those CEOs who left did so because of the optics rather than the substance of the issue. It shows a short sighted behavior that I for one have to question their fitness to lead a major company.

To be clear, due to the optics, these mental midgets left a council where they had an opportunity to influence future US policy on important issues.... Things that impact their company and their workforce.

Immigration, Healthcare, Trade and Taxes.

Think about that for a second or two... Rather than do things that would benefit them and well pretty much everyone, they ran away because they didn't want to get called a racist by a misguided liberal media.

Its amazing that people will down vote comments that are critical of the attacks on Trump and a misunderstanding of what is meant by 'Freedom of Speech'. The irony... the protesters are exercising the same freedoms which they are condemning.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Lets put things in to perspective.

Next time the Nazis want to exercise their freedom of speech, they should leave all weaponry at home. They might consider speaking in their own home towns instead, from now on. In front of their own homes. Unless they really are cowards. Going from being scum to being a coward is usually a small step. They are only "brave" in large groups.

1. RealityisntReal

So are you going to hold the alt-left/Antifa crowds to the same standard? You do realize that there were actually non-Nazi types that were there just to protest the statue removals and for freedom of speech, right? And that the vast majority of the free-speech/pro-statue marchers were perfectly identifiable in public, while the violent leftists/Antifa were in masks. So who's the coward? You evidently think it's OK for masked, Antifa idiots to hit someone with a bat, but not for someone to exercise their free speech rights. Remember, in the US there is actually free speech - not like the symbolic version in the EU/Britain. That means that no matter how disgusting their statement is, they have the right to say it. If you don't like what they say then speak out against it or simply don't listen. True free speech means being able to say something the majority doesn't like or want to hear.

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
        Thumb Up

"Trump condemned both sides for their part in the violence."

etc.

A big fat thumbs-up for daring to tell the truth like that. I had 89 down votes (and counting) last time _I_ did that. But hey, the howler monkeys come out of the woodwork to sling poo every time the Trumpster is mentioned in an article, so there ya go.

It's not like Trump hasn't been asked COUNTLESS times by the LAME-stream media, "do you condemn XXX" where 'XXX' is some hate group (usually racial, usually of the KKK or neo-nazi variety) or leader of some such group.

The other day, Hannity and Limbaugh both played montages of Trump basically saying that he denounced all those guys, back in the campaign, repeatedly. One clip had trump saying that he'd been asked the same question over 30 times and gave the same answer, every time.

Has ANY other president EVAR been subjected to this kind of HARASSING questioning? The answer, of course, is NO. It's like someone coming up to you and saying "Are you a racist" and you say "No" and they say, "but, are you a RACIST?" and you say "No" and this just goes on and on and on and on and on and on and on until you just can't STAND it any more, and then you're stuck in a media frenzy repeating the same question over, and over, and over, and over, and over again like they expect you to react unfavorably to yourself in response to the HARASSMENT. which it is.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Has ANY other president EVAR been subjected to this kind of HARASSING questioning?"

Obama and his birth certificate? By many, including Trump on the campaign trail.

3. strum

>a misunderstanding of what is meant by 'Freedom of Speech'

Once again, you trip yourself up, without any help from us. The First Amendment doesn't apply. The misunderstanding is yours.

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

What's complicated about Nazy rasist shitheads?

Can't think of any simpler excuses for human beings.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Trump believes the presidency is a new season of "the apprentice"

I can't wait to see who wins, my money is on Kushner.

1. Blank Reg

The new season of the Apprentice

I think trump didn't like having no say in who got fired on the original show, so he ran for president so that he could actually get choose who goes. except of course for all those that voluntarily jump ship.

4. Bucky 2
    Mushroom

I'm so through

"Make America Great Again" is based on the premise that America is NOT great, but WILL be once we teach all the Arabs and Mexicans to be properly subordinate.

These CEOs were cool with all of that before. The only thing that's happened is a little publicity.

They've already demonstrated a lack of a moral center by getting all buddy-buddy with this administration in the first place.

I'm calling BS on their moral posturing. I'm insulted they think I'm stupid enough to believe them.

1. Mystic Megabyte
      FAIL

Re: I'm so through

Nope, they're right, you're dumb.

5. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Windows

That virtue signaling!

I do no longer need to go to the hairdresser, my hairs gets frisquéed just by reading these thunderous vapid pronounciations by the truly worthy.

Mozilla are holier-than-you kids with diversity (and bug-fixing) issues, but the IEEE should be staid enough to stay out of this and not beclown itself. I'm a bit embarrassed on their behalf and I suspect this will lead to some noises in the ranks. I can't remember them coming out against BLM or Obama's non-pronounciations against undocumented shopping? Or, more relevant to engineering ethics. his boastful killing spree using drones and predilection for mas surveillance?

Meanwhile, right-wing blogger Anatoly Karlin writes better stuff than any journalist: The Ascent of Society 282

Europe famously has hate speech laws, which run the gamut from banning Nazi propaganda to criticizing mass immigration.

Russia’s version of it is Article 282, which has been used on everyone from genuine Neo-Nazis and radical Islamists to the nationalist pundit Konstantin Krylov for stating that it’s “time to do away with this strange economic model [of federal subsidies to the Caucasus]“.

And yet if the United States has an exceptional degree of respect for absolute freedom of speech, encodified in the First Amendment, this is mitigated by its organic “Society 282,” as the Russian nationalist Egor Prosvirnin has poetically called it.

In the days the Unite the Rite march in Charlottesville, in which one antifa counter-protester was killed by a Neo-Nazi going postal with his car (the MSM version of events; reality might be rather different), Society 282 has gone on a veritable purge of Alt Right and Dissident Right content on cyberspace...

1. Geoffrey W

Re: That virtue signaling!

I was intrigued by this statement:-

"one antifa counter-protester was killed by a Neo-Nazi going postal with his car (the MSM version of events; reality might be rather different)"

and wonder what the real reality might be. Any clues? I looked through the original article but beyond that statement there is no more.

Perhaps Heather Heyer was a crazed liberal about to murder a Nazi baby in its pram and thanks to quick thinking by a brave driver passing by, was stopped in her tracks.

Perhaps it was just a tragic accident when his self driving AI took the driver on a short cut and before he could hit the override button his joyous world had fallen apart.

I wasn't much taken with the rest of his article. While the MSM might sometimes suffer from a lack of nuance, the author of this article tries a bit too hard to make allowances for some naughty children and comes across as an apologist for the far right, like CS Lewis was for Christianity.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Geoffrey W: snowflake.

1. Geoffrey W

Anonymous Coward: Buzzword Debater.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like