back to article Big Switch, HPE, in 'You complete me. No, you complete me' tryst

Big Switch Networks and HPE have buddied up to push other's stuff and the concept of open networking. The deal will see HPE resell Big Switch's Big Mon and Cloud Fabric on its Altoline switches. HPE's kit isn't very good at the kind of monitoring Big Switch's products can enable, so HPE feels the deal gives it the chance to …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Whatever happened to HPE's networking and network monitoring suites?

When I worked at HPE 3 years ago, you had the H3C stuff for DC networking, the Procurve lines and the Aruba stuff for non-DC networking. The H3C models were starting to get interesting, think it was the 5930s and chassis equivalents offering SDN/OpenSwitch support. Their switches were decent bits of kit, and usually came with a very attractive warranty that was hard to ignore.

You also had the HP Openview network monitoring suites - NNMi, IMC, iSPI and so on. They supported Netflow, sFlow, and the usual SNMP/SSH info/trap collection. Any combination of the suites and tin gave you really good monitoring and decent network hardware.

What happened to this combo? Has HP hacked itself to bits so badly that it can no longer sell it's own networking hardware and software?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Whatever happened to HPE's networking and network monitoring suites?

Their Sales people sucked bits so hard they divided by zero and left this dimension. A demo installation was torpedoed by the sales technician who only knew 6 boxes on a checklist; and didn't know bitshit about networking. This is the same monkey mentality which destroys the entire line of HPE equipment eventually.

2. paulf
    Happy

Big Switch

Well, I've just learned something. I thought Big Switch was a typically snarky El Reg reference to someone like Cisco, a la Big Phone (AT&T) and Big Cable (Comcast). I guess I've been loitering around here too long.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like