back to article It's official: Outages are only the second-worst thing about Comcast

Comcast subscribers say that the US cable giant's notorious billing system is the worst and most infuriating thing about the biz. This according to tens of thousands of complaints filed with America's broadband watchdog, the FCC, from November 2014 to May 2017 covering Comcast's TV and cable internet services. In other words, …

1. Shadow Systems

The worst thing about Comcast...

They make Microsoft look competent, intelligent, & professional by comparison.

1. a_yank_lurker

Re: The worst thing about Comcast...

Now if I can get rid of Comcrap for someone better... Problem who is actually better.

1. Malignant_Narcissism

Re: The worst thing about Comcast...

Lucky you. I wish I had the *option* to move to something else.

2. ma1010
    Mushroom

As far as I'm concerned...

Q: What do you call it when you have the management of Comcast, Time Warner and AT&T and Ajit Pai all at the site of a large nuclear blast?

A: A damn good idea.

1. fidodogbreath
      Mushroom

Re: As far as I'm concerned...

A damn good idea.

More like a damn good start.

The nuke party wouldn't be complete without the Verizon team. Should also "invite" the lobbyists that have bribed persuaded various state legislatures to make municipal broadband systems illegal.

3. Nate Amsden

No complaints

Back in the '00s I was in the Seattle area with AT&T Broadband, then Comcast bought that(?) and I became a Comcast customer at that point. I used 1Mbps DSL for many years(with 8 static IPs), but the ISPs kept getting bought and sold, at one point my DSL ISP said they were changing my IPs so I said screw it, I cancelled DSL and put in Comcast. I put my servers(email+web+DNS+etc) in a local colo.

Was a Comcast customer for 2-3-4 years, really had no issues. Small outage here and there, my bill was not cheap being that I had a ton of premium channels.

Anyway, in 2011 I moved to the bay area, and got a local cable company(served the city I was in only). Cost and service was comparable (for all of those folks saying cities should invest in municipal services for TV/internet) to Comcast. My only real complaint was I wanted faster upload speed(fastest was about 3Mbps, my download speeds were ~20-30Mbps though they had faster download plans).

Moved to the central valley in California a year ago, back to Comcast territory. Again costs were about the same but internet speed up by 10X (download now ~200Mbps and upload now ~20Mbps). I have had more outages out here, maybe I have noticed 3 or 4 brief outages in the past year (nothing more than a few hours tops??). Since my job is managing remote servers I need internet access, so in the event comcast goes down I use the hotspot on my phone.

Comcast really did screw up the installation of services at my current home. Took their contractors at least 3 or 4 trips. Apparently nobody in this city of 200k people uses Tivo and they lacked the hardware and kept sending people on site without cable cards. They also sold me on a triple play package(only for cost, didn't need the phone) and I told them I wanted to buy my own modem, they told me the website to find compatible modems and turns out the modem I bought wasn't compatible with any voice service. So they ended up having to re-do my order on the fly to a double play (for the same price, originally double play costed more for some reason).

Took more troubleshooting on my old Tivo Series 3 it didn't get several hundred channels, they came on site(and charged me that fee), no resolution. Eventually I learned that those channels were encoded with MPEG4 and Tivo series 3 doesn't support that so the channel remains black (even though the signal strength is very strong, and shows no errors). Annoyed that the series 3 is not as useful as it once was, but it still gets some channels. Series 4 works fine with MPEG4.

I think costs wise people blame comcast because that's who they pay. They don't see the costs of the content(Disney, and other content providers always pushing for more $$) driving the costs up. Other than the occasional big dispute between a cable/satellite and a content provider where they put banners on the channels saying the content may get cut off if they don't come to agreement by some date. I know that's not the whole picture but I bet it's a decent chunk of it. People argue for being able to subscribe to individual channels(no bundling) but many don't realize that will drive the cost even higher in many cases.

I caved in a few months ago and decided to cancel most of my premium channels, I hadn't watched much premium tv in more than a decade. Still have showtime as that is part of my "package". (and no I don't stream media either).

I have no doubt broadband etc costs are more expensive in the U.S. than in many other places (as is several other aspects of life here). And have no doubt that comcast probably does screw up regularly given the size of their customer base.

1. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
      Meh

Re: No complaints

Cool story, bro.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

Demon billing

So that must be where Demon's billing department took refuge!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Go

False choice!

Saying that Comcast's billing is a bigger issue than its quality of service is like choosing between a Phillips or flatness screwdriver when installing a lighting fixture. Either way, something is going to get screwed up. :)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like