back to article Hortonworks still burning cash, still aiming to become billion-dollar biz

Hadoop-flinger Hortonworks continues to burn through cash, but boss Rob Bearden has said that the biz is on target to cut spending by the end of the year. The latest results show the firm once again boosted its revenues, achieving a figure of $61.8m for the quarter ending June 30 – up 42 per cent on the same period in 2016. It …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

BigInsight customers are being shifted over to Hortonworks

What, all six of them?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: BigInsight customers are being shifted over to Hortonworks

Ha, there were 7 of them...

2. esmith
    Thumb Down

ha

They go out and hire expensive sales folks and offer 100% paid benefits and wonder why their expenses are so high. It's about time to switch to a free and paid enterprise edition in order to survive guys. People realized they don't have a petabyte of data so HDP is trying to sell anything they can including replacing mysql. ha

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: ha

Oh there is so much more to the story...

First, if you wanted Free, you can just go w Apache's release.

HDP's go to market strategy put them in a bind. Both MapR and Cloudera can offer proprietary products, however Horton can't.

They also sacrificed margin for market.

Their expense isn't in the sales team but in the back office engineers who are supporting FOSS and are re-inventing the wheel to things that they can control within Apache. (e.g. Ambari)

The fact is that they are failing to generate a community as well as these products are not that good and are only as good as those behind it. (Bad ideas and design by committee are the death of good software. )

There's more, lot more... most of the good folks have cashed out and moved on... there are a couple who haven't and are very good at what they do. But they aren't customer facing.

And yes, posted anon because I know too much and don't want to burn bridges. ;-)

1. esmith

Re: ha

Good comment and info. I have worked on all 3 dists and working on Ambari is like working on a UI from the Soviet era. So bad. I really do like the free to a certain point and pay for more "stuff" like nodes, features,etc.. As small companies grow, they can afford to start buying these features. I keep thinking about IBM buying them but what would they get? Code is open source. Customer contracts? I guess that is worth some $$ but as you said, most of the folks are starting to vest and will bailout at the end of this year and if they want to cut cost, I guess they will just pay less or do more with less...?

3. Snowy Silver badge
    Joke

Working with IBM

So basically just waiting around to be forked over?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like