back to article HP Inc reveals dockable, wearable VR workstation for the office

HP Inc has released a backpack PC for the office. The company already makes the Omen backpack PC for gamers, but the newly-revealed HP Z VR Backpack PC is aimed at design pros. The PC weighs 4.65 kg, including the harness. Should you shoulder that burden you'll be lugging around an Intel Core i7-7820HQ with four cores and the …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Chocolate bicycle.

Well not quite. It could be great. But a lot of the performance and cost requirements have a little to go before this becomes more useful and main stream.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: Chocolate bicycle.

Traditionally CAD wasn't mainstream, but in some sectors its very high price was still more than worth while for the savings it brought. The mainframes used to cost hundreds of thousands of dollars.

I don't have enough technical knowledge to judge if there is some way of not having to carry the PC around. Is there no wireless protocol (radio, visible light spectrum or whatever) that can allow a round trip of input from the users helmet to a workstation and back again with sufficiently low latency? We keep hearing of promising experiments with Li-Fi, and I would have assumed those high frequency market traders have funded the development of optical signal switching gear.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

Wouldn't it be cheaper...

To just strap a laptop on your back with some duct tape ?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Wouldn't it be cheaper...

Yes. Some solutions already offer this.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Now you'll be able to do your VR fapping on the kitchen table.

Can't wait for the first bozo to walk around wearing one of these in shitditch.

4. Sgt_Oddball
    Flame

good toy for Christmas

I can see the appeal. I mean imagine the walk home in the depths of winter... backpack on under your coat running a full build should keep things nice and toasty for the journey, no?

Flame because I still don't trust li-on batteries enough to strap them to my back.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: good toy for Christmas

Flame because I still don't trust li-on batteries enough to strap them to my back.

Whatever you do, don't cross the streams!

2. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: good toy for Christmas

Surely what you need is augmented reality zombie attack game, to keep you warm on a cold winter's night, walking home from the pub.

With bonus marks if it can make your kebab look like the severed limb of one of the other survivors.

Or even better, make it look edible...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well it does solve the cable issue

Now hows the battery life on a powerful computer + graphics card + vive? Also, does it come with additional hot swap batteries?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Well it does solve the cable issue

Per Anandtech it lasts an hour under heavy load, and there are two hot swappable batteries. I doubt that battery life is really an issue - how long will you want to run a simulation for training purposes?

I'd be more worried about how hot it would get sitting on your back, and how loud it is running under that load trying to use a 98.6* person as a heatsink.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: Well it does solve the cable issue

More than half the surface area of the machine is exposed to air, which is comparable to a standard laptop.

The machine is lifted away from the user's back by the rucksack's padding. Personally I get on well with rucksacks with a suspended mesh against my back, but grooved padding is another tried and true approach to rucksack design. Curiously, stomping up a mountain carrying a dozen kilos can make you a bit warm too, so it's far from a new design consideration.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

In the UK ?

What happens when it rains ?

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Happy

Re: In the UK ?

But it so rarely rains in the UK.

Our weather is famous for its clemency and predictability...

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

> Our weather is famous for its clemency and predictability...

Especially indoors! :)

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
          Happy

2 weeks ago, we had a thunderstorm that was so heavy that it rained inside the pub...

Turns out that the seals on their conservatory roof couldn't take the pressure. Perhaps they were just upset because their beach ball blew away?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Thumbs up for originality

Oddly enough I remember suggesting the idea of a backpack PC for cable-free VR headsets right here in these forums. It looks like it's priced to see what the market will bare + recover the design cost from a niche market. But if it sells and VR goes mainstream, we might see an affordable consumer follow on, assuming full VR headsets still need cables.

PS. Wearing a VR headset, you can't see where you're going, so outdoor use isn't recommended.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Thumbs up for originality

Outdoor use? Never mind that ... if you're wearing a VR headset, I wouldn't recommend trying to walk across my office!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like