back to article New iPhone details leak: Yes, Apple is still chasing Samsung

Eagle-eyed code-jockeys have dug out some intriguing details about the new Apple iPhone – most notably that the company is still desperately chasing Samsung. Developers digging into a firmware upgrade of Apple's new HomePod discovered chunks of code that appeared to have nothing to do with the digital assistant. In particular …

Page:

1. Prosthetic Conscience
    Trollface

1400$

Meanwhile the faces at apple HQ --->

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 1400$

I'll be happy to bet anyone $1400 that the iPhone 8 does not cost that much (in the US, I can't do anything about Apple's exchange rates in the UK and the 20% VAT hit) Then I'll get it for free and have hundreds of dollars left over!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You're on.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

So when I win does a random AC pay me, or do 1400 AC's each owe me $1?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Leave your bank details as a reply to this post and we'll see you right.

1. WolfFan Silver badge

Leave your bank details as a reply to this post and we'll see you right.

Here you go:

Prince I. Breaka Y. Legs

Account# 223109131

Access Bank

3 Alhaji Owokoniran Street

Orile Coker

Idi Oro100246, Lagos, Nigeria

2. Youngone Silver badge

Wrong Place

I enjoyed the article, but the problem with The Reg is that there are not enough really proper rabid Apple fansboys here to fill the comments with outrage.

I might whizz over to Slashdot with some popcorn.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Wrong Place

the problem with The Reg is that there are not enough really proper rabid Apple fansboys here to fill the comments with outrage.

There's always SuccessCase to rely on, at least. Doubtless spinning up the Cognitive Dissonance Generator as we speak...

2. Tim99 Silver badge
      Joke

Ah, but we/they know that, unlike recent Samsung kit, the jesusPhone will work, and continue to work, and probably won't catch fire...

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Just don't let them follow you back.

4. Adam 1

El Reg approached the rabid Apple fansboys for comment.....

5. Oh Homer
      Trollface

Apple fanboism ain't what it used to be

Since Steve Jobs was upgraded to Dead Steve Jobs, the general quality, functionality and reliability of Apple fanbois has plummeted. I don't like their new style either, which is weak and rather pasty looking, like they might break if you sit on them too hard. My last Apple fanboi broke after just one comment!

Apple fanboism is long overdue for a major upgrade. They're still using the same Reality Distortion Field from the Jobsian era, for Goat's sake, whilst comparable fanbois from competing manufacturers have long since moved on to advanced technology, such as multi-core postulating and high-definition screams with non-reflective gloating.

I move that we crowdsource a new breed of Apple fanbois, to give us something more substantial to poke fun at.

1. Ian Joyner Bronze badge

Re: Apple fanboism ain't what it used to be

So, you have nothing technical to say - so why not just resort to the insult of 'Apple Fanboi'?

You are wearing your idiotic and irrational hatred of Apple on your sleeve. As you say you want something to 'poke fun at'. Does that make you feel 'oh so superior, just a 'bullyboi'?

Take your idiotic and pathetic comments and put them somewhere else. I have some suggestions, which I won't put here.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If these rumours are true, hope that Samsung and Microsoft sue the hell out of Apple for infringing their patents! Apple just aren't inovating anymore, more of a copycat outfit with some arrogant sir thinking he's a magnificent designer...cough. splutter.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You can't patent "facial recognition" as a concept, only a particular way of accomplishing it. Samsung in particular can't do so as they are hardly the first one to do it.

If Apple's improves upon it by doing a 3D scan as the rumors suggest so it won't be possible to fool it with a simple photo like Samsung's, then it wouldn't count as copying.

I'm still not sure how it will cope if say I'm wearing sunglasses, or pick it up while talking to someone so I'm facing away and my mouth is open... The more leeway you get for stuff like that, the easier it will be to fool (i.e. with a 3D printed mannequin head or whatever)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

My Moto G4 supports facial recognition to log in. I don't use it because when I first tried to calibrate it ( show it my face ), I realised that holding the phone square to your face so it can "see" you is such a faff you might as well type in the bloody pin.

Holding your phone like that isn't how you hold your phone normally - you normally point it at the ceiling behind your head.

1. wolfetone Silver badge

I bet that because they're struggling to get the finger print reader to work under the glass like they said they would, they'll ditch fingerprint technology in favour of the "more secure" facial recognition thing.

Just good luck using it in the dark, and don't be shocked if someone opens it by using your Facebook profile photo.

1. Eddy Ito

Just good luck using it in the dark

The article did mention "references to infra-red facial recognition" so perhaps it's possible to map the thermal signature of one's face which would make it less reliant on ambient light. Of course that brings a whole bunch of other problems like when you're out on a cold winter day and can't quite feel your nose anymore while at the same time suffering from the flu and have a fever of 104 °F / 40 °C or some such.

2. Fursty Ferret

Not entirely sure how it works on my S8, but the camera is clearly pointed in the right direction as the phone unlocks so quickly you don't even get to see the lock screen.

2. Naselus

"You can't patent "facial recognition" as a concept, only a particular way of accomplishing it."

Unlike truly original ideas, like 'rectangle with rounded corners'.

2. wolfetone Silver badge

"Apple just aren't inovating anymore"

Apple have never innovated. They were just really good at marketing old ideas.

1. werdsmith Silver badge

"Apple have never innovated. They were just really good at marketing old ideas."

In a way that is much like posting this comment on a web forum.

Or the one about rounded corners, or holding it wrong etc.

We've all read them a million times yet people still make the same comment as if they are telling us something new.

1. wolfetone Silver badge

"We've all read them a million times yet people still make the same comment as if they are telling us something new."

Sorry, it isn't Apple making that same comment.

2. Mark 65

@wolfetone: Apple have never innovated

Remind me how well Android/Samsung pay is going right now? Apple may not be the "innovator" and may have been late to market with NFC and tap to pay but they sure as shit knew how to make it work, unlike some.

3. robin thakur 1

...and if it wasn't for the first iPhone and the App Store changing up people's expectations for what was possible on a phone, how do you think the Samsung Galaxy S 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 and 8 would ever even exist in their current form? Not to mention the fact that Samsung does Iris recognition, Apple does 3D Facial recognition, and they also have a we-will-not-sue-you deal with MS for yonks now, and your post looks even weaker. It's lucky for MS that they have the deal in place otherwise the Surface laptop would have landed them in hot water...

Hopefully Apple accomplish what Samsung couldn't and embed the fingerprint reader under the glass, not having to place it in the damn inconvenient position on the back of the phone. I also don't want a curved screen or one with round corners, thanks Apple. I do want a second gen set of Airpods to go with my 8 :)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Supposedly the fingerprint reader anywhere than the normal place has been ruled out, so the only question is whether there will be one at all. If they believe the 3D facial recognition is significantly better I suppose they could drop the fingerprint reader. Personally I'd rather have both options since each would have their disadvantages (i.e. gloves, sunglasses) but we'll see. My money is on it under the glass, though maybe it doesn't work quite as well as it did previously as a result.

1. YARR

Facial + fingerprint recognition

Maybe the facial recognition is so good that you don't need a dedicated fingerprint reader? Just hold your finger steady a few inches away from the sensor and it sees your fingerprint in 3D.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Onanism

Had to look that one up. Excellent.

1. WolfFan Silver badge

Re: Onanism

Never took Religious Knowledge in high school, eh? The 'Sin of Onan' was one of the things they really went to town on.

1. Michael Thibault
        Windows

"Never took Religious Knowledge in high school, eh? The 'Sin of Onan' was one of the things they really went to town on."

The kids, you mean?

How times change -- benefits for everyone these days. Apparently.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The 'Sin of Onan' was

Noting to do with masturbation.. It was about refusing to do his duty under the Law of Moses.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

For the lazy: "Onan. \ˈō-nən\ , Biblical character. In the Book of Genesis Onan was commanded by his father to impregnate the widow of his slain brother and to raise the offspring of the union. In order to avoid raising descendants for his late brother, however, Onan engaged in coitus interruptus."

Charming.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Onan engaged in coitus interruptus.

That's a quaint translation. As I learned it he "spilled his seed upon the floor", giving generations of priests & the like the opportunity to tell us that we'd all go to hell if we masturbated. Interesting that they took away that message, rather than the one about raping one's sister-in-law.

1. steveking1000

Hmm.

I've been a youth leader for over 15 years, and this one often comes up (as one might say...).

Completely agree that the link to masturbation is complete rubbish. For me as a religious nut (YMMV), one of the joys of reading the Bible is reading what is actually there, and trying not to put a veneer of Victorian values or my own prejudice on it. Sometimes very liberating, other times very uncomfortable if I'm honest.

But, this is the first time I've heard someone assert that the woman was not willing - I don't know that you can support that as I don't think the text says either way. I'll have to go read it again.

1. Bloodbeastterror

@steveking1000

I'd be interested in your review of the passage in Genesis 19 (KJV) ("these men" being visiting angels):

"Behold now, I have two daughters which have not known man; let me, I pray you, bring them out unto you, and do ye to them as is good in your eyes: only unto these men do nothing; for therefore came they under the shadow of my roof."

Some may think that this is off-topic, but since we're discussing The Church of Jobs I think this is a reasonable extension of the argument.

Much as I despise Apple & Jobs, "genuine" religion beats them hands-down.

1. steveking1000
              Pint

Hi Bloodbeastterror,

I'm old enough to know that debates about the failures of religion (or similar ones about what atheist regimes have done to people) are better done face to face rather than online.

Have a virtual beer. If you are anywhere near London, you can trade it for a real one and we can talk.

Regards,

Steve

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

I don't know that you can support that as I don't think the text says either way.

True, there's no mention of consent, but that may reflect the translations, for much of history a woman's consent was regarded as irrelevant, she was property.

Given that afterward she seduced her father-in-law by acting like a prostitute she doesn't come out of it too well anway (at least not in the Authorized King James, I don't read Hebrew or Aramaic)

2. Baldrickk

Related: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUspLVStPbk

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Was Onan a barbarian? :-)

1. Tim99 Silver badge
          Coat

Was Onan a barbarian? :-)

No, a librarian - You really don't want your books to be overdue.

5. whoseyourdaddy

"chasing" Samsung? Who will forever be in the shadows of Google?

Ok, whatever helps you sleep at night.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Personally, I like iPhone's, it allows me to identify people that can't be arsed learning anything new or are so comfortable with their existence that a phone makes them better than everyone else.

Dance, then, wherever you may be,

I am the Lord of the iPhone, said he,

And I'll lead you all, wherever you may be,

And I'll lead you all in the dance, said he.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Personally, I like iPhone's

Gives you somewhere to keep spare apostrophes, I suppose.

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

somewhere to keep spare apostrophes

They bain't spare, they be feral. Careful how you approach them - you could lose your fingers..

7. WolfFan Silver badge
    FAIL

Farcial Recognition

My ancient Asus laptop allegedly did facial recognition five years ago when I first bought it. It was very first thing that I turned off once I had the laptop at home.

I'm not a fan of the fingerprint readers built into too many electronic devices, either.

1. jeffdyer

Re: Farcial Recognition

5 years old is "Ancient" now is it? Grief.

1. WolfFan Silver badge

Yes. The battery has problems, the keyboard has problems, Asus doesn't want to admit that they ever sold this model, it's way out of warranty and even if it were still in warranty Asus would want me to ship it to Taiwan for them to fix it. Intel and nVIDIA don't want to admit that the CPU and GPU it shipped with ever existed, much less support them. It shipped with Win7, which Microsoft also doesn't want to admit existed. The hard drive died; I replaced it with a new, bigger, faster, one. I've maxed the RAM. It shipped with 802.11n, which is slow nowadays. It actually has (be still my heart!) a DVD burner and a VGA port. When last I checked, it has a resale value of under $100 (I paid $700 for it, on sale from $950+, the new generation machines were coming).

It's ancient.

2. Naselus

"5 years old is "Ancient" now is it? Grief."

Unlike the good old days, when 3 years was ancient.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Typo

Sources 'close to the matter' indicate that Apple is actually introducing faecal recognition. Users will be required to clamp the iPhone 8 between their expectant butt-cheeks, then push and quickly suck back in a small sample of 'internal matter' - this will penetrate the iPhone through the small holes on the bottom edge, and the on-board 'motion' processor will analyse the sample, allowing the phone to be unlocked or not. Every three weeks, the iPhone's haptic engine will buzz to emit trapped matter, much like the Apple Watch does with water. Users are advised not to have the iPhone in their pockets or bags when this occurs.

1. Scroticus Canis
      Headmaster

Re: Typo - FTFY

"... then push and quickly suck back in a small sample of 'internal matter'" - Que?

"... then prairie-dog a turd" - is much shorter.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like