back to article Game of Pwns: Hackers invade HBO, 'leak Game of Thrones script'

HBO is the latest entertainment giant to have its precious content stolen and leaked by hackers, including program episodes and possibly Game of Thrones scripts. The security breach reportedly includes the script or a script treatment for next week's Game of Thrones episode, meaning fans will be disappointed to realize it's …

1. Michael B.

It's a book already.

So is there really that much to reveal?

1. JLV
      Boffin

Re: It's a book already.

Errr, book 6 is still not out and I recall that season 5 was already slightly ahead of book 5 (Tyrion never gets to Daenerys in book 5).

In fact folks wonder if GRRM is gonna be motivated to finish books with known, TV-"leaked", endings.

I have read his books since the 80s, but am passing on GoT after book 4. He's too slow at writing them.

1. Geoffrey W

Folks are also wondering if he is frantically*** trying to come up with a different ending to the TV show so he's not just writing the companion book of the TV series.

*** Frantically, for GRRM, means an hour in the morning before attending another convention. And why not when you're as rich as Croesus and can do whatever makes you happy.

1. Robert Helpmann??
          Childcatcher

It's not like the series is staying too close to the books, any way, so a different ending in one compared to the other is reasonable. I stopped reading the books when it took 5 years between volumes. I am a patient man, but I also know my limits.

2. Malik01

This is why we cant have nice things

3. frank ly

Template

"Data protection is a top priority at HBO, and we take seriously our responsibility to protect the data we hold."

Didn't the original writer of that phrase hold copyright? It's been used by so many companies.

4. LaeMing
    Meh

To be honest,

While I am enjoying GoT, I am rather glad it is coming to a definite end in the not-too-distant future. I am getting a little fatigued, and ready for something new (not 'confederate', though - concept is a bit too US-centric for my tastes.)

1. Triggerfish

Re: To be honest,

If you haven't tried it the Expanse series isn't bad.

1. Tom Chiverton 1

But not on UK TV. Criminally.

2. LaeMing
        Thumb Up

Yep. Expanse is great.

Killjoys and Dark Matter are entertaining too (the latter had the obligatory time-travel cliche last week, so that's out of the way now!)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Meh

It could be worse...

The hacker could have rewritten the script to bring the Sand Snakes back, and Joffrey.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It could be worse...

If I were the hacker, I would have simply encrypted the file with a very looong key, and then deleted the key for ever... frankly all HBO shows just taste of precooked food. Marketing-driven scripts to appeal reviewers and tell the public "these are the shows you're looking for!", and nothing more.

1. FlamingDeath Silver badge

I remember when Lost was a thing, and people were telling me "You have to watch this its totesamazeballs"

Yeah the only thing Lost were the script writers, they were asking for suggestions from their fanbase.

Pretty much exemplifies how unimaginative these script writers really are

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"all HBO shows just taste of precooked food. Marketing-driven scripts to appeal reviewers and tell the public "these are the shows you're looking for!", and nothing more"

Which one of HBO's rivals do you work for?

6. Dr Scrum Master

fans will be disappointed to realize it's the same sword-sorcery-sex-and-intrigue as previous episodes.

There was me waiting for Eddard Stark to wake up and say, "That were some dream I just had."

1. Solarflare

"Oh Cat love, be a dear and get me a cup of Yorkshire Tea."

7. FlamingDeath Silver badge

Game of Thrones?

Never heard of it, is it like Eastenders?

You know, mind numbingly boring and uninformative mindless entertainment?

Yeah, not seen it

1. phuzz Silver badge

Re: Game of Thrones?

I think I speak for everyone here when I say that we're all very impressed with you, for not liking something that other people like. Truly you are a pinnacle of a human being. One day historians will look back and say "this was when it all changed". There will be statues of you, and people will name their children, and less smelly livestock, after you. The way you pretended to not have even heard of it was masterful, especially the way you took time out of your undoubtedly busy schedule to write a comment on an article which even included an explanation of what GoT is, but being such a badass renegade, you probably didn't even bother reading the article did you?

1. 2460 Something
        Coffee/keyboard

@phuzz

Icon, that is all.

2. FlamingDeath Silver badge

"badass renegade, probably didn't even bother reading the article did you"

Dito

I have a busy schedule

1. jonathan1
          Facepalm

But but you took the time to comment...on an article you didn't read...

Mind is blown...

1. Anonymous Coward
            WTF?

@jonathan1 In fact, he took the time out of his busy schedule to comment twice!

2. Hans 1

Never heard of it

[Looks up from terminal, reads title, thinking the same (maybe Blizzard Entertainment game, or somethin', so leaked source code, cool!), reads tarticle ... ohh, television program, looks back at terminal, thinks "where was I?" ... Ok, ...]

IOW, Thanks el reg, but no thanks ...

8. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Storm in a teacup?

Unless there;s financial or personal data, then I don't see a huge problem here. Most people won't care about reading scripts in advance of the episodes being broadcast. Maybe some hardcore fans, some of which will go out of their way to avoid seeing the info and others who will trawling the 'net to find it. The rest of the fans simply won't bother and the majority of people in the world don't watch it anyway.

9. Gordon Pryra

The greatest leak of cyber space era is happening

As if this is in any way important.

Was there nothing better these 12 year olds could turn their l33t hAx04 skills towards?

1. JLV
      Black Helicopters

Re: The greatest leak of cyber space era is happening

Agree, much ado about 1 episode. But...

As I said no one really knows if GRRM is gonna finish his books at the rate he's going. When HBO signed he was already deep into taking untold years to write #5.

And HBO knew this so I am sure their contract w Martin takes that into account and provides them access to the whole plotline, should they need it. How else are they working from book 7 material now?

So, in escrow or on their servers, the entire storyline is already sitting there, waiting for Kevin Mitnick to call them pretending to be Martin's wife who needs a copy after a ransomware or the like.

Factor in the $$$$ lost when Scrum Masters guess turns out to have been prescient and HBO customers stop watching and cancel in disgust ;-). Security does matter, at least to the one getting hacked.

@phuzz - masterful.

1. MonkeyCee

Re: The greatest leak of cyber space era is happening

"As I said no one really knows if GRRM is gonna finish his books at the rate he's going. When HBO signed he was already deep into taking untold years to write #5."

He's had the overall plot done for a while. At least since book 3 was released anyway. The writers, producers and some of the cast of GoT are aware of the general shape of the plot, and I presume so is HBO.

The way of story telling and world building in the books is very different to the show. Things are told from a characters perspective, thus there is lot more tell and a lot less show. There are some pretty big changes to assorted minor story lines, and it's not clear if they have been cut or altered and we'll see it later.

There's also the issue with the current part of the story, as essentially there is a period of several years between Cersei's ascension to power and the current invasion. So GRR started writing Dance of Dragons, then realised about 80% was flashbacks, so then wrote it chronologically, which resulted in the most deathly boring book in the series. The next book should be full of stuff happening, as we're ripping through a major battle or two each episode.

So I do have some sympathy for GRRM, he's done some great world building, he's actually got the total plot and a plan for it already, and he really REALLY wants to make it all consistent.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like