back to article Another US government committee takes aim at Kaspersky Lab

A major US House of Representatives committee wants 22 government agencies to tell it where they've got Kaspersky Lab products in their networks. The demand by the House of Representatives Committee on Science, Space and Technology comes amid escalating tension between the USA and Russia, after the latter on Sunday told the …

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

I'm starting to have flashbacks from the 1980ies.

But as long as I don't have to go through the later stages of puberty again, I think I can handle it.

1. Mark 85

Only the "80's"? I think this whole thing, including the "election questions" put us back in the middle of the Cold War.

1. big_D Silver badge

This has hints of the xenaphobia that gripped USA politics back in the 30s and 40s.

2. J.Smith

Those commies are at it again, I knew they'd never stop their evilness.

1. big_D Silver badge

Yeah, those government committees are such a pain, oh, wait, what?

3. big_D Silver badge
    Facepalm

False Positives?

And those false positives from McAfee, that crashed whole networks? Or from Avast, quarantining essential Windows dlls? Or Symantac/Norton? Those were sabotage attempts as well then?

4. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Gimp

"Why are we concerned about this. Simple"

We know how susceptible US companies have been to pressure from government spooks asking them to put back doors in their code and set default encryption algorithms to have weaker default choices.

If you're used to behaving a certain way it's not very surprising that you expect everyone else to do the same.

And following Snowden it's clear that some parts of the US govt are very used to behaving a certain way.

5. ancient-strider

throw out the best, why don't you

Is anyone on the House of Representatives committee the least bit savvy on IT? These investigations that drag on for months. Have they not heard from the internet watchers about increased traffic at critical times? Isn't Kaspersky Labs one of the best at picking up dodgy code?

I used Kaspersky for years because it was, and probably still is, the best

The American government appears to be paranoid about anything Russian. An offer to give the code is not accepted but USA sticks to its rhetoric.

Perhaps the government knows how leaky their machines are and need to pass the blame.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Diversion Tactics

This is likely an attempt to draw focus away from activities of US-compliant -- willingly or not -- anti-virus companies or other agencies (i.e. contractors), as well as generating business for "government" contractors.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon